Potomac Celtic Festival 2005

Happenings of interest to forum participants.<br>
Sucesos de interés a foreros.

Moderator: Moderators

Fonzu

Potomac Celtic Festival 2005

Post by Fonzu »

Hi everyone,

As in previous years, once again the Potomac Celtic Festival will take place in the town of Leesburg, Virginia. June 11 and 12

Asturies will be represented with our usual stand.

We need some people to hung around and help in the Tent. Also, if some one has some material that will help to ilustrate and educate about our Celtic roots will be more that wellcome and hightly appreciated.

For more information about Asturies Representation contact me using the "email" button below.

Complete info. about the Festival at: www.potomaccelticfest.org

Alfonso
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

The Potomac Festival is coming! I think of the festival primarily as a celebration of Celtic culture and music. They've always gotten good musicians. There are a number of people in costumes promoting preservation of the Celtic cultures, too.

I've signed up to help Alfonso with the Asturian tent. If you can help one or both days, let us me or Alfonso know.

Bonus: Alfonso may be able to arrange for tickets for you, if you let us know soon.

The Potomac Festival is interesting, so you may want to come if you're in the area. Drop in and say "hello!"

------------------------

¡El Festival Potomac viene! Pienso del festival principalmente como una celebración de la cultura y la música Celta. Siempre hay músicos buenos. Hay un número de gente en trajes que promueven la preservación de las culturas celtas, también.

Me he enrolarme para ayudar a Alfonso con la tienda asturiana. Si puedes ayudarnos un o ambos días, contacta a mí o a Alfonso.

Prima: Alfonso puede ser capaz de concertar una etiqueta para ti, si nos avisas pronto.

El Festival Potomac es interesante. Entonces si estás en el área, querrías visitarlo. Pasa por nuestra tienda para decir "¡hola!"
Fonzu

Post by Fonzu »

Hello again,

First I want to thank Art for his help both days in the Asturian tent at The Potomac Celtic Festival 2005 last weekend.

His attentivenes to the visitors that came to our stand with multiple questions and his knowlegde about Asturias went far beyong their satisfaction.

Wheather was very hot, but thanks to the cider we did manage to keep our selves a few degrees cooler.

Asturian flag marched both days in the opening parade ceremony.

Several organizers of the Festival periodically visited us, members of Clan Gordons, members of Clans of Scotland, our neighbours the Bretons always ready to keep an eye in our stand if needed and many many others.

At closing time, all tired, it cames a tedious job, breaking down and paking. Just a that time and extra help arrives, they were the piper and violinist from Batlefield Band, they had promissed me before their performance that they will visit our tent (if we have cider) and they certainly did.

So, as you can imagine, it was very interesting, a great success. We hope this coments will encourage some of you to be part of our team next year and also as a reminder that you can join Asturies Celtic Society in the following link.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/asturies_society

Saludos

Alfonso
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Alfonso beat me to it! He must have been less tired than I was. I think we both got a too much sun, too. (It's obvious that the traditional Asturian outfit didn't have to deal with scorching sun, humidity, and high temperatures!)

Thanks to Alfonso for his hard work in putting together the display and in making the booth a special experience for visitors. You should see his beautiful new costume!

SHARING THE JOY, THE KNOWLEDGE
The festival was great. It's always very satisfying to realize how interested other people are in Asturian culture and history. In the process of answering questions at the booth, we meet others who are happy to share their knowledge, so we all gain. A retired woman, for example, was happy to tell me in detail about her enjoyable experiences walking the Way of Saint James (El Camino de Santiago) through Asturias.

CELTIPHILES
A Celtic festival like this draws people from all over. Some are there mostly for the music, but others come to spread the story of the Celts.

Of course, as can be expected, there were the conflicting stories, but that's part of the fun.

One Galician told Asturian Ben Pecson (more in a minute on Ben) that the Galicians were the only area of Spain the Moors didn't conquer. Uh-ha. Right. Some Asturians engage in similar claims, too, claiming that because a couple dozen Asturians under Pelayo never surrendered (and the Moors decided foolishly to forget about them), Asturias was never conquered. Of course, it's easier to argue this if you ignore the Moorish administration set up in Gijón.

There were several representatives of the Celtic Learning Project (ww.celtlearn.org) at the festival. Those of you in the Northeast might be interested in connecting with these very interesting folks. They're working on creating a living history museum in Connecticut.

MEETING OTHER ASTURIANS
In talking to one visitor, Steve McClelland (who I think was wearing a 1883 Victorian Scottish Highlander soldiers uniform outfit), I learned that he was 1/16 Asturian. His ancestor, an Asturian named Tamez, had emigrated to Mexico. He also told me that this man was thought to be the ancestor of all people named Tamez in Mexico. Later I introduced Steve to Alfonso, telling him about the Tamez ancestor. Alfonso was amazed, because he was also related to a Tamez in Mexico! Cousins! One wore a Highlander uniform, the other a traditional Asturian costume, but both are Asturians.

A friend from the tent of the International Committee for the Defense of the Breton Language, Benjamin Pecson told us that his Asturian great grandfather was an important figure in the Philippines during its Spanish period. He still has family in Asturias and has even hunted wild boar with his cousins who live near Covadonga. (Ben killed the boar, but the boar gored him, too.)

MUSIC
Looking for a something a little different musically? Well, next year you'll want to check out the rockers in kilts.

I got to see several performances. Some of the groups are acoustic, some are rock. Some are old-timers you'd recognize, and some are newcomers you'll want to get to know. (In fact, at a festival like this you can easily get a front row seat and talk to the musicians after their show.) All of the groups I saw were very skilled performers who put on a great show.

As you would expect, if you know them at all, the Battlefield Band was outstanding. (They're Scottish, but they don't wear kilts.) By the way, I'll post another message because the piper, Mike Katz, wants to know if there are good surfing beaches in Asturias.

The Welsh group, Ffynnon, were a knockout.

AND YOU?
The festival is a great way to make contacts with knowledgeable and interesting people. Of course, the music is quite good, too. It'd be great to see you there next year!
Last edited by Art on Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Make sure you take some pictures like last year so we can see them in the forum. Have fun!

-----------------------------------------------------
Haced fotos como el año pasado para que las podamos ver en el foro. Que lo paséis bien!

Terechu
Fonzu

Post by Fonzu »

Art,

Let see if If I have this right.

I think that the last name of Steven McClelland's ancestors is Tomás instead of Tamez.

Tomás can be both name and Last name (this one is rare). Like Alonso also can be both.

But if is the case that is Tamez, then he and I don't share any conection.

Saludos

Alfonso
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

That's a good question, Alfonso. I'll ask Steve for clarification.

---------

Es una pregunta muy buena, Alfonso. Voy a pedir para aclaración de Steve.
Chris
Translator

Post by Chris »

Por que no haceis una pagina web de la Asturies society donde expliqueis en ingles las preguntas mas comunes sobrea Asturies como historia, tradicuines etc...

No me parece logico que aparezca la pagina de Brenga Astur. Yo creo que podemos colaborar un poco entre todos.

Me hubiese gustado mucho estar ahi.
Fonzu

Post by Fonzu »

Chris,

De momento tienes el grupo de yahoo de asturies celtic society que para empezar puede cumplir las mismas funciones (en lo que se refiere a preguntas que quieras o quieran hacer) tanto en un idioma como en otro.

Antes de la página, hay que hacer un par de cosucas mas (pero si como dicen en pueblu miu, si tenemos salú, jarémoslo)

Venga un saludu astur desde el otru llau.

Alfonso

Ya pondremos alguna foto
Chris
Translator

Post by Chris »

Gracies Alfonso.

El ellaz del grupo que teneis arrtiba ta mal.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/asturiescelticsociety/
aqui ta bien.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

I have received more info from Steve McClelland about his family name. It's Tamez (sometimes Tames), but not Tomas. His mother did think it was Tomas, so that's where the confusion came from. I've posted Steve's email reply here:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtop ... =5022#5022

Return to “Events - Acontecimientos”