Montes

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

Barbara Alonso Novellino

Montes

Post by Barbara Alonso Novellino »

Are any of the following names familiar to anyone in this Forum? He was my Uncle who settled in Moundsville, West Virginia...lived for awhile in Donora, Pennsylvania and then Wheeling, West Virignia...

"Amongst the lot, a photocopy of the baptismal certificate provided by the
Parrish Archive in Lada-Langreo, in the diocesis of Oviedo, a copy dated March 1970. It is signed by Don Luis Fernandez Alonso (relative of Alonsos of NY?). It is for Julio Montes Valdes, brother to Josephine, Angeline, Manuel.

Baptized 21 May 1905.

Now, you trackers of family matters and histories, get this:

Father's name Adelino Montes Zapico from Lada. And HIS fathers name was Francisco (Montes) also from Lada, and mother was Joaquina (Zapico) from Lada

Mother's name Adelina Valdes Fernandez, from Lada. And HER father's name was Manuel (Valdes) and mother was Josefa, all from Lada.

Godparents (Padrinos) were Adelino Valdez, and Josefa Jara (or Jana)."

Barbara Alonso Novellino
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Wow, Barbara, you are a true blue "langreana"!
Lada lies on what was the fertile left bank of the Nalón River, right across from La Felguera, county of Langreo. Unfortunately industrialization has wiped out its rural charm and it now has a power plant and several ugly housing projects from the 50's. The river is still there, though, in all its beauty, as are of course the "Montes" the surrounding wooded hills.

http://nodo018.bankhacker.com/pueblos/f ... 069916.jpg

Langreo comprises Sama (capital) and the districts of Lada, Ciañu, Barros, Tuilla, Frieres and La Felguera. among other. If you search the web for Langreo you'll find lots of things on Lada. And you'll find lots of people with the surname Valdés, Montes and Zapico in Langreo.

www.paginasblancas.es

In fact the first census of 1583 mentions the brothers Juan and Fernando Montes de Rozada (hamlet belonging to Lada), and Fernando's sons Luis and Matias Montes. There seems to be quite a lot of documentation from those days (land titles, protocols,etc on file in the parrish archives).

The surname Zapico originated a little farther up-river in the hamlet of La Canga (Ciañu), the first one mentioned in 1586 is Pedro Zapico de la Canga in and his seven sons.

If you can read Spanish I'd be happy to scan these chapters for you and e-mail them. Let me know.

Teresa
Santoz

Post by Santoz »

Hi, Barbara, some names sounds "familiar" at your request, i dont know if you understand spanish so i'll try to write you in english.

I'm Fernando Suárez Santos my grandmother was Sanidina Llaneza Montes who was María Montes Argüelles daughter.

María was Francisco Montes Zapico and Juaquina Argüelles Prieto daughter.

Avelino Montes Argüelles was brother of María, both of them sons of Francisco (Kiko Polvorin) and Joaquina (Juaca), they had two plus brothers, Leoncio and Consuelo at least i know.

The family site was (and is) Cuturrasu, a town near Lada (Llangreu - Asturies - España)

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”