Archivo Diocesano de Oviedo

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

Luiña

Post by Luiña »

En el Archivo Diocesano permiten consultar los libros allí custodiados - después de cumplir unos requisitos muy simples- pero no pueden hacer búsquedas indeterminadas por no estar informatizado y tener que revisar partida por partida y parroquia por parroquia.

Abre (para consultas) los martes y jueves de 16 a 19 h. y los viernes de 10 a 13 h.

Por motivos personales estoy yendo allí algunos días y me ofrezco para localizar, si es posible, las partidas que necesiten los miembros del foro. Después pueden pedirlas a

[Art: correo quitado. No se permite pegar un correo en el foro. Sabes si hay un eslabón por el Archivo Diocesano de Asturias? www.iglesiadeasturias.org ?]

o por correo postal a:

Archivo Histórico Diocesano
Palacio Arzobispal
Corrada del Obispo, 1
33003 - Oviedo

Cada certificación cuesta 10 euros.

Las partidas del Registro Civil son gratuitas pero que yo sepa no dejan consultar los libros y sólo las hay desde 1870

También hay que tener en cuenta que en algunas parroquias se quemaron los archivos durante la Guerra Civil (1936-39) y que no todos los archivos parroquiales han sido trasladados a Oviedo.

Un saludo desde Oviedo
---------------------------------------------------------------

Transl. Terechu

At the Diocesan Archives they allow you to look up the records kept there - after meeting some very simple requirements – but they cannot carry out indiscriminate searches, as the records are not yet computerized and thus they have to go through all incriptions and through all parishes one by one.

They are open for consultations on Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 16.00 to 19.00 h and Fridays from 10.00 h to 13.00 h.

I have been going there on personal business and I am at your disposal to locate, if possible, any certificates needed by members of this Forum. Afterwards you can send in your request to

[Art: correo quitado. No se permite pegar un correo en el foro. Sabes si hay un eslabón por el Archivo Diocesano de Asturias? http://www.iglesiadeasturias.org/ ?]

or by regular mail to:

Palacio Arzobispal
Corrada del Obispo, 1
33003 - Oviedo

The fee is 10 EUR per certificate.

Certificates from the Civil Registry are free of charge, however, as far as I know they don’t allow public access to the records and they are only available from 1870 onwards.

You have to also bear in mind that the records of some parishes were burned during the Civil War (1936-1939) and that not all parish archives have been moved to Oviedo.

Greetings from Oviedo
andrese

Post by andrese »

Luiña,

Quisiera saber si usted me podra ayudar con una busqueda de bautismos en los libros de Santa Eulalia de Llamero, Candamo.

Gracias
Cordiales Saludos
Andres Echazabal
Luiña

Post by Luiña »

Andrese:

Por supuesto que puedo buscar datos de esa parroquia si están en el Archivo de Oviedo. Creo que podré hacerlo esta misma semana, pero no es seguro.

Un saludo
Cecilia
Jose A. Tavel

Post by Jose A. Tavel »

Luiña:

Si no le es molestia, ¿pudiera buscar datos de bautismo y/o matrimonio del mi abuelo con la información que sigue a continuación?

Gervasio TAVEL LOPEZ, hijo de José María TAVEL y Ana Teresa LOPEZ, ambos nacidos en Asturias, nació alrededor de 1841 en el concejo de Muros de Nalón y fue bautizado en la parroquia de Santa María de Muros, tuvo como hermanos a Gabriel y Demetrio.

Gervasio emigró a Santo Domingo y más tarde a Cuba en el año de 1865.

Muchas gracias desde Georgia, USA

José
Luiña

Archivo Diocesano de Oviedo - Muros

Post by Luiña »

José:

Creo que los libros de Santa María de Muros no están en Oviedo, pero me voy a asegurar y, en caso negativo, preguntaré si los hay en Muros o si se quemaron como en algunos sitios.

Trataré de encontrar los datos de sus familiares.

Un saludo
Luiña

Archivo Diocesano de Oviedo y Muros de Nalón

Post by Luiña »

José:

Los libros de las parroquias de Muros no están en el Archivo Diocesano, pero me han dicho que se conservan en Muros. Trataré de ir un día hasta allí a preguntar pues no está lejos de mi pueblo - al que suelo ir los fines de semana - pero éso tardará un poco más que si estuviesen en Oviedo.

Un saludo cordial
donino

Re: Archivo Diocesano de Oviedo

Post by donino »

En el Archivo Diocesano permiten consultar los libros allí custodiados - después de cumplir unos requisitos muy simples- pero no pueden hacer búsquedas indeterminadas por no estar informatizado y tener que revisar partida por partida y parroquia por parroquia.

Abre (para consultas) los martes y jueves de 16 a 19 h. y los viernes de 10 a 13 h.

Por motivos personales estoy yendo allí algunos días y me ofrezco para localizar, si es posible, las partidas que necesiten los miembros del foro. Después pueden pedirlas a http://www.iglesiadeasturias.org/
o por correo postal a:

Palacio Arzobispal
Corrada del Obispo, 1
33003 - Oviedo

Cada certificación cuesta 10 euros.

Las partidas del Registro Civil son gratuitas pero que yo sepa no dejan consultar los libros y sólo las hay desde 1870

También hay que tener en cuenta que en algunas parroquias se quemaron los archivos durante la Guerra Civil (1936-39) y que no todos los archivos parroquiales han sido trasladados a Oviedo.

Un saludo desde Oviedo
---------------------------------------------------------------

Transl. Terechu

At the Diocesan Archives they allow you to look up the records kept there - after meeting some very simple requirements – but they cannot carry out indiscriminate searches, as the records are not yet computerized and thus they have to go through all incriptions and through all parishes one by one.

They are open for consultations on Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 16.00 to 19.00 h and Fridays from 10.00 h to 13.00 h.

I have been going there on personal business and I am at your disposal to locate, if possible, any certificates needed by members of this Forum. Afterwards you can send in your request to
http://www.iglesiadeasturias.org/
or by regular mail to:

Palacio Arzobispal
Corrada del Obispo, 1
33003 - Oviedo

The fee is 10 EUR per certificate.

Certificates from the Civil Registry are free of charge, however, as far as I know they don’t allow public access to the records and they are only available from 1870 onwards.

You have to also bear in mind that the records of some parishes were burned during the Civil War (1936-1939) and that not all parish archives have been moved to
Me gustaría contactar con Vd para hacerle una consulta. Gracias

[ART: Puedes enviarle un email con el botón marcado "email".
You can email him by using the buttom marked "email."]
Richard Drew

Post by Richard Drew »

Kind Sir,

My wife's family is coming to Oviedo to find relatives of the late Arturo Garcia (her great grandfather) of Oviedo or the immediate area. Arturo was born September 14/1869 . It seems unlikely that you will happen upon records relating to him, yet I am casting as wide a net as I can. Arturo was on of 5 brothers, one, Manuel also went to America at some point, had a son "Manny" who around late 1970's went to Spain to vacation, look up relatives, evidently found them, and stayed on at the family farm. At some point the U.S. relatives lost touch with him, and have had no contact since. My father in law is Arturo's grandson, and has fond memories of him. He has wanted to connect with his Spanish relatives for a very long time. The whole clan, Rod Garcia, his 6 sons and daughters/sons and daughters in law, and all their children are traveling to Oviedo the 16th-30th of July to try to connect with whatever family we can find. Any help, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Sincerely, Richard Drew

[Art: Email addresses are not allowed in the forum.]
Hello to the people of Asturius, I am trying to find relatives of Arturo Garcia, born in Oviedo or in immediate area September 14, 1869. He migrated to America as a young man. He returned to visit in July of 1928, his passport contact was Jose Gonzales
Bob

Post by Bob »

I wish you luck with your search for Asturian relatives, but I think that you will run into three problems. The first is that García ia a very common surname. There are well over 4000 telephone listings with García as a first surname in the city of Oviedo alone (and over 22,000 in all of Asturias). The second is that Oviedo is not only the name of one of Asturias' three major cities, but was once used as the name of the entire principality: What is called Asturias today was once called Oviedo. The third is that the registro civil didn't exist at the time of your relative's birth. Searching church records is a much bigger task than searching the registro civil.

If you can narrow down your search by finding a town of birth, your search will be easier. Ellis Island records are well worth checking if the time frame is right. The town of birth is often listed. As for the passport contact, is an address gven? That might also provide a clue.
Luiña

Para Richard Drew

Post by Luiña »

Aunque no contesté en su momento, he estado tratando de encontrar a Arturo García desde que leí su mensaje. Por desgracia no pude localizar a nadie que se corresponda con los datos que Ud. da.

El día 15 copié su mensaje y su e-mail en un foro de Asturias, pero no tuve respuesta; ojalá le hayan escrito directamente con alguna pista. Ciertamente es muy difícil localizar a una persona de apellido García sin saber su origen y sin tener una base de datos informatizada.

Deseo de corazón que hayan tenido éxito en su búsqueda o que se produzca un milagro en estos tres días que quedan.

Un saludo cordial

Por favor, terechu o Art, agradecería que lo tradujesen

-----------------------------------------
Translated by Bob

Although I did not answer when you wrote, I have been trying to find to Arturo García since I read your message. Unfortunately I could not locate anyone corresponding to the information that you provided.

On the 15th [of July] I copied your message and your email to a forum about Asturias, but I had no answer; I hope that they have written directly to you with some information. Certainly it is very difficult to locate a [specific] person with the surname García without knowing his origin and without having a data base of information.

I sincerely wish that you may be successful in your search or that a miracle happens in the three days that remain.

A warm greeting. Please, Terechu or Art, I would appreciate your translating this.
Eleonore

Post by Eleonore »

Hi, in Sept. 2005 my husband and I are going to be in Oviedo and I would like to find ANY record of his ancestors. My husband's gr.grandfather was JUAN RAMON CRESPO born ca 1850 in Asturias, unfortunately no town or Parish is known at this time. He was the son of JOSE CRESPO and ANTONIA SANTOVENA(~ over the last 'n').
Jose and Antonia had at least one other son JUAN JOSE CRESPO. The two brothers left Spain sometime before 1878 and migrated to El Salvador, Central America.
Is it possible to find the death record in the Archivo Historico Diocesano for the father Jose Crespo and/or Antonia Santovena-Crespo? And perhaps from that learn the town/parish and also take it back one more generation?
Loredo

Post by Loredo »

Eleonore,

First of all, the surname Crespo comes from Castilla. The town you found near Avila (Crespos) is in fact in Avila province.

Being born around 1850 you can only find him in the parish records. Unfortunately, there are around 969 parishes in Asturias and therefore it is impossible to check them all. You need to focus on the parish books stored in the Archivo Diocesano of Oviedo.

There are 408 people with the first surname Crespo in Páginas Blancas. Of those: 120 are located in Gijón, 81 in Oviedo, 26 in Langreo, 17 in Avilés, 12 in Mieres, 11 in Siero, etc. My suggestion is to start searching in Gijón and then in Oviedo.

Regarding the death records, it is a waste of time to search them because of two reasons:
- When you know the parish, it is much harder to find the death records than the birth records because it is difficult to guess somebody's death date. I simply can't imagine to find a death record without knowing the parish.
- Sometimes the information in the death record is not enough to guarantee that you found the right person.

Best Regards.
Eleonore

Post by Eleonore »

Hola Loredo, thank you for writing. Where is CASTILLA? Is this a region or a town? From the gr.grandfather's death certificate from San Salvador (1928) we only know that he is from 'Asturias', but no town or parish and no birth date or age was given.
Do you know of the name SANTOVENA? I was told there are two towns named like that, one in Llanes and one in Amvieva. We think it's possible that this (one of them) is the origin of our Santovena family line. Could you please help me find out the Church name(s) for these two small villages?
Our timing for arrival in Oviedo is also not so good, Friday 9/23, leaving 9/28. I see that the Archivos for my research are only open on Tuesday from 16:00-19:00(the other days don't work for us); thank you again for your help, Eleonore
Luiña

Para Eleonore

Post by Luiña »

Eleonore:

Castilla es una región, no una ciudad. Asturias es otra región.

Como dice Loredo hay muchas personas con el apellido Crespo en las Páginas Blancas, pero hay menos con el apellido Santoveña y muchas de ellas viven en Llanes o alrededores por lo que pienso que los antepasados de su marido podrían ser de esa zona.

El Archivo de Oviedo estará cerrado hasta el 16 de Septiembre -cerró hoy, 1 de agosto- y los días que se puede visitar son los martes y jueves de 16 a 19 y los viernes de 10 a 13. Como Ud llegará el 23 de Septiembre, trataré de enterarme antes de si los libros de las parroquias de Llanes y de Amieva están en Oviedo o en las respectivas parroquias, pero no podré hacerlo hasta la fecha de reapertura.

Cuando lleguen ustedes yo estaré en Oviedo y pueden contar conmigo para lo que necesiten.

Un saludo
Eleonore

Post by Eleonore »

Hola Luina, muchas gracias por su mensaje, y su ayudar y soy muy apreciativo. Usted habla ingles? (leer) por que mi espanol no es muy bien.
Yo no tiene mi computer en Oviedo, tal vez, nosotros puede contacto con telefon, por que nosotros sale USA en Sept.9 para francia, y despues para espana, antes de la fetcha de abvierto de Archievos en Oviedo. Por Favor contacto mi directamente [Art: He quitado el correo. No se permite correos en el foro.] para mas informacion; muchas gracias, Eleonore

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”