Travel Information

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

Eleonore

Travel Information

Post by Eleonore »

Hi, as I mentioned in a previous post, I will be in Oviedo in Sept.2005. My question is not about genealogy, but I hope someone can help me. We have a Hotel already, but would like to rent a car for 4 days while there(Sept.24-28), are there spanish car rental companies(it must be an automatic trans.) or is Herz,Avis etc the only option?
The language is no problem, as my husband speaks fluent spanish, but is there someone familiar with a small village called "Santovena" (~ over last 'n')? and how far is it from Oviedo? how easy (or difficult) is it to get there? Are the Priests in the Parish Churches willing to let one look into the Churchbooks with the little information I have on the Ancestors? I appreciate any and all suggestions. Thank you, Eleonore
Bob

Post by Bob »

There is a Santoveña in Llanes and another in Amieva.

I don't know whether or not the parish priests will let you look at the records, but you should make contact with them well in advance of your trip. Some priests cover more than one parish (as is often the case here in the EEU too), so they may live in a different location than the church you are interested in.
Eleonore

Post by Eleonore »

Hi, is the place called AMIEVA also in Asturias? If yes, how can I get the church name/address? I found the Santovena in Llanes and wrote to the Priest there last year, but never received an answer. Is there anyone on the list who lives near either Santovena, who could help me get in touch with the Priest?Thank you, Eleonore
Bob

Post by Bob »

Amieva is indeed in Asturias. It is located in the mountains just south of Covadonga.
Loredo

Post by Loredo »

Eleanore,

As Bob told you, there are two Santoveñas in Asturias but only the one in Llanes worth a genealogical visit.

- Santoveña (Llanes) belongs to Vibaño parish and they have Baptismal Records since 1627, Marriage since 1696 and Death since 1696. All the books were located at the parish as of 2000. Maybe they sent them to the Archivo Diocesano later on.

- Santoveña (Amieva) belongs to Sebarga parish and all the record were destroyed during Spanish Civil War. All of them are currently starting in 1938.

You can find a phone number for the "Arciprestazgo de Llanes" in www.iglesiadeasturias.org

Best Regards.
Luiña

Crespo Santoveña

Post by Luiña »

Eleanore.

Esta mañana revisé el Censo electoral de 1890 -el más antiguo que pude encontrar- en el Archivo Histórico Provincial. Revisé unos 40 municipios de los 78 que tiene Asturias y encontré dos José Crespo:
José Crespo Bárzana que vivía en Luces (Colunga) y tenía 65 años
José Crespo Sánchez que vivía en Quintana (Llanes) y tenía 71 años

El apellido Santoveña sólo lo encontré en el concejo de Llanes. Como no sabemos el nombre del padre de Antonia, anoté los que por la edad pudieran serlo:
José Santoveña Gutiérrez, de 64 años, que vivía en Poo
José Santoveña Santoveña, de 77 años, que vivía en Turanzas
Antonio Santoveña Díaz, de 65, que vivía en Rales
Antonio Santoveña, de 67 años, que vivía en Vibaño

Personalmente creo que José Crespo Sánchez podría ser el padre del bisabuelo de su marido, pues tendría 31 años en 1850. Quintana y Turanzas están cerca y pertenecen a la Parroquia de Santa María de Posada de LLanes. Rales y Vibaño son parroquias distintas, pero todas están en un área de pocos Km.

Pienso revisar el Censo de 1890 en el resto de los concejos de Asturias, pero no sé cuándo podré hacerlo; cuando tenga más noticias volveré a escribir. Hoy me voy de vacaciones fuera de Oviedo.

Un saludo cordial
-----------------------------------------------------------

Transl. Terechu

This morning I went over the electoral census of 1890 – the oldest I could find – at the Historical Provincial Archives. I went over about 40 of Asturias’s 78 counties and found two José Crespos:

José Crespo Bárzana of Luces (Colunga) age 65
José Crespo Sánchez of Quintana (Llanes) age 71

I could only find the surname Santoveña in the county of Llanes. As we do not know Antonia’s father’s name, I wrote down those, who by reason of age could be her father:

José Santoveña Gutiérrez, age 64, living in Poo
José Santoveña Santoveña, age 77, living in Turanzas
Antonio Santoveña Díaz, age 65, living in Rales
Antonio Santoveña, age 67, living in Vibaño

I believe José Crespo Sánchez could be the father of your husband’s GGF, as he was 31 years old in 1850. The villages of Quintana and Turanzas are nearby and belong to the parish of Santa María de Posada de Llanes. Rales and Vibaño are different parishes, but even they are only a few kilometers away.

I’m planning on going over the census of the rest of the counties, but I don’t know when. I’ll write again when I have some news. I will be leaving Oviedo for a vacation today.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

For rental cars, there are other options, depending on where you start from. EasyCar had some good deals on Smart Cars the last time I looked. Book early for better prices.

-----------

Con respecto a coches de alquiler, hay otras opciones. Depende de donde se comienza el viaje. EasyCar tenía ratos buenos para el Smart Car la última vez que miré. Reserve temprano para los mejores precios.
Richard Drew

Post by Richard Drew »

Hello,

It sounds like you and I are in the same boat. Looking for relatives in Asturias/Oviedo. We were there in July, looking for relatives of my father-in-law, and got as far as finding the "home town" which is Consiennes, south of Avila, more of a village actually. Unfortunately, we could not find actual relatives. However, I suggest that you get quotes through "carjet" they had by far the best prices, and I found the cars in Spain and Portugal to be in good order and service was friendly. We had two different rentals, 1 in each country, both were fine, Spain, it was Europcar, in Portugal, Iperrent.

I am going to continue my search for Menendez-Garcias' in Consiennes, but from here in San Diego.

You have a real treat ahead in Asturias. We found it to be one of the most beautiful places we have been to anywhere. The coastline was lined with little coves and the Picos de Europa are magnificent. I look forward to a time when I can return and explore the area from mt's to sea. I took over 400 pictures on our digital camera and ended up with 401 keepers.

We stayed in Nueva Llanes and Posada, renting 4 beautiful homes to house 25 family members. The homes were from the 1600's to 1800's in age, and were all modernized without compromising the structure and beauty. This trip was the most memorable of a lifetime. I wish you a wonderful trip, and look forward to hearing of your succes.

Richard Drew
Hello to the people of Asturius, I am trying to find relatives of Arturo Garcia, born in Oviedo or in immediate area September 14, 1869. He migrated to America as a young man. He returned to visit in July of 1928, his passport contact was Jose Gonzales
Luiña

Para Richard Drew y Eleanore

Post by Luiña »

Hola, Richard:

Lamento que no encontrasen a los familiares de su suegro y si puedo ayudarle cuando vuelva a Oviedo en Septiembre, lo haré. Usted habla de "Consiennes" y "Avila", ¿no serán "Cancienes" y "Avilés"?

Hola, Eleonore:

Como ya le he he escrito en otro lugar, yo puedo acompañarles a los dos Santoveña y me pondré en contacto directamente con Usted.

Un saludo
---------------------------------------------------------
Transl. Terechu

Hi Richard,
Sorry that you didn't find your father-in-law's relatives and if I can be of help when you return to Oviedo in September I certainly will try. You mention "Consiennes" and "Avila". Are you sure it's not "Cancienes" and "Avilés"?

Hi Eleonore,
As I already posted in another section, I can accompany you to Santoveña and will contact you directly.

Regards

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”