Old photos of the women? Fotos antiguos de las mujeres?

Discussion of photos in the AsturianUS.org photo album pages.<br>
Discusión de fotos en las páginas del álbum de fotos de AsturianUS.org.

Moderator: Moderators

Ron Gonzalez

Old photos of the women? Fotos antiguos de las mujeres?

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

I have a question. I'm wondering if any one knows the answer.

I have photo's of my grandmother's father, also of my grandfather's father. There are no photos of my grandmother's mother or my grandfather's mother. My question is: were the women kept in the background, or did they just not take photos of the women?

-----------------
trans. Art

Tengo una pregunta. Me pregunto si alguien puede contestarla.

Tengo unas fotos del padre de mi abuela y también del padre de me abuelo. No hay fotos de la madre de mi abuela o la madre de mi abuelo. Mi pregunta es: Es que las mujures se permanecían en un segundo plano, o que no se sacaban fotos de las mujeres?
Gil Andrés Sopeña

Post by Gil Andrés Sopeña »

Estimado Ron González:
Hasta muy entrado el siglo XX las mujeres si figuraban , en muchos casos en segundo plano, pero no creo que tenga nada que ver , para hacerse ( sacarse) una foto. Puedo poner dos ejemplos directos que me afectan a mi.

Primero : yo tengo fotos de los abuelos de mi madre , fechada alrededor de 1900.

Segundo: mi esposa tiene fotos de la bisabuela de su madre fechadas alrededor de esas fechas tambien.

Un fenomeno curioso que yo aprecio en el entorno familiar mio y de mi mujer es que los asturianos que se marchaban a la emigracion, mandaban más fotos los barones que las mujeres y estas cuando mandaban era acompañadas de sus maridos e hijos, pero ellos se hacian fotografiar solos y con sus mejores trajes.

He de hacer contar aqui, el gran valor que tienen estas fotografias, por que se aprecia muy bien los vestidos tradicionales y de fiesta.

Atentamente quedo a su disposición.

Gil Andrés Sopeña González

-----------------
trans. Art

Dear Ron Gonzalez:
Up to the very beginning of the 20th century women were relegated, in many cases, to the second tier, but I do not believe that this has anything to do with this matter of whether photos were taken. I can give two direct examples from my family's experience.

First: I have photos of the grandparents [grandmother and grandfather] of my mother, dated about 1900.

Second: my wife also has photos of the great-grandmother of her mother dated from about the same period.

A curious phenomenon that I see in my family context and that of my wife, is that the Asturians who left to emigrate sent more photos of the men than the women. Also when they did send photos of the women, the women appear in the photos with their husbands and children. But the men are photographed alone and they wear better clothes.

I should tell you of the great value that these photographies have, because they show the traditional clothing and holiday clothing.

I sincerely remain at your disposition,
Gil Andrés Sopeña Gonzalez
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

I have individual photos of both my great grandmother and great grandfather on my grandmother's side. I think we also have a snapshot that includes another great grandmother sitting on the steps with other people, but we have no photos of her husband. Oddly, we also have very few stories about him.

I have several photos of my grandfather, but the ones of my grandmother are with the entire family. There is a solo image of her taken at a World's Fair, but someone has cut her out of a larger photo, so I'm pretty sure that originally she was with other family members.

---------------------

Tengo fotos individuales tanto de mi bisabuela como de bisabuelo por parte de mi abuela. Pienso que también tenemos una foto que incluye a la otra bisabuela que esta sienta sobre un peldaño con otra gente, pero no tenemos ni una foto de su marido. Me extraña que tampoco tenemos muchas historias sobre él.

Tengo varias fotos de mi abuelo, pero en las de mi abuela se aprecian la familia entera. Hay una imagen de ella sóla sacado en una Feria del Mundo, pero alguien la ha cortado de una foto más grande, entonces estoy bastante seguro que al principio ella estaba con otros miembros de la familia.

Return to “Our Photo Album - Nuestro álbum de fotos”