Coal Mine Diaster / Catástrofe en la mina de carbón

> Formal: construction, farming, manufacturing, mining, small businesses, smelting, etc. > Informal: blackberry picking, boarding houses, bootlegging, clothes washing, sausage making.<br>
> Formal: construcción, agricultura, fabricación, minería, pequeñas empresas, fundición, etc. > Informal: cosecha de moras, pensiones, contrabandista, colada, embutimiento.

Moderators: Maria Garcia Alvarez, JuanLeon, Moderators

Bob

Coal Mine Diaster / Catástrofe en la mina de carbón

Post by Bob »

I remember my grandfather telling me of an coal mine that extended under the ocean near where he lived in Asturias (Salinas), and that it had been flooded by the sea, killing quite a few miners. As near as I have been able to determine, the mine was located in Arnao (Arnau n'asturianu), whch can be reached from Salinas through tunnels (an old railway tunnel, now closed, and a more modern one-lane highway tunnel). The mine flooding took place about 1915, but I have been unable to learn any additional information about it

If you have any information about the Arnao mine disaster, I would very much appreciate your posting it here.

Bob Martinez

------------------
[Translated by JuanLeon]

Me acuerdo que mi abuelo me solía hablar de una mina de carbón que se
extendía bajo el mar, donde él vivía, en Asturias (Salinas), y que el mar la había inundado, matando a bastantes mineros. Hasta donde he podido llegar, creo que la mina estaba en Arnao (Arnau n´asturianu), al que se llega desde Salinas atravesando unos túneles (un túnel de ferrocarril antiguo, ya en desuso, y un túnel de carretera, más moderno y de un sólo carril). La inundación de la mina ocurrió en 1915, pero me ha sido imposible conseguir más información sobre ella.

Si teneis información sobre la catástrofe de la mina de Arnao, os agradecería mucho que la publicarais aquí.

Bob Martínez
Last edited by Bob on Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Suronda
Co-Founder

Post by Suronda »

Bob,

I asked a friend about this incident, and she wrote this today:

"Esta mañana pregunté a dos profes de historia de mi colegio y sí que saben qué ocurrió en Arnao. De hecho quedaron en averiguar con más detalle, pero ya me han dado el título de un libro: Historia de Asturias, de Silverio Cañada. . . También me dijeron estos compañeros que la senda norte (una senda para paseos a pie que va desde Salinas hasta San Juan de la Arena) pasa por Arnau y que hay un cartel en la bocamina de Arnau con algo de información sobre este accidente."

Since the book isn't readily available even through inter-library loan here, she's going to check it out and send the relevant information. I'll keep everyone posted.

---------------------------
[Translated by JuanLeon]

Bob,

Le pregunté a una amiga lo que sabía sobre este acontecimiento, y hoy
me respondió lo siguiente:

"This morning I asked two history teachers at my school and, yes, they
know about the Arnao incident. In fact, they promised to find more details, but they have already given me the title of a book: "Historia de Asturias", by Silverio Cañada... These colleagues also told me that the Northern Path (a trail that goes from Salinas to San Juán de la Arena) goes through Arnau and that a sign at the entrance to the mine has some information about the accident."

Como el libro no se encuentra facilmente aquí, ni incluso a través de
préstamos desde otras bibliotecas, mi amiga va a buscarlo y mandarme los datos que tengan relevancia. Os mantendré informados.
JuanLeon
Translator

La mina de Arnau

Post by JuanLeon »

Es verdad que había una mina de carbón en Arnao (conceyu de Castrillón) que empezó a funcionar en la primera mitad del siglo XIX, cuando la revolución industrial llegó a Asturias de mano de la compañía belga llamada la "Real Compañía Asturiana de Minas". Esta compañía les dió la experiencia necesaria a muchos mineros y obreros de la zona, que venían andando todos los días desde Illas y San Esteban y otros lugares bastante distantes. El catillete de la mina aún se conserva, se sitúa encima de la playa de Arnao. La mina, según algun mapa que he visto en Salinas, se extendía, efectivamente, bajo el mar, en la dirección del cabo donde está el faro de Avilés. La reina Isabel II y Alfonso XII visitaron esta mina, y atestiguando de ello quedan placas y fotos dentro del castillete donde aún se conserva el pozo y algún que otro pedazo de maquinaria oxidado y corroído por el paso del tiempo. Entré a ver todo esto siendo yo niño. El Ayuntamiento de Castrillón está queriendo reparar todo este patrimonio, pero es todo aún propiedad de la Asturiana de Zinc, empresa sucesora de la R.C.A.M., y la empresa se resiste a arreglar o ceder para que el Ayuntamiento arregle.

De niño yo también oí decir que la mina se había inundado repentinamente, y que en ello habían perecido varios mineros. No sé si es cierto, pero sí parece ser que el mar se filtraba en la mina de forma constante, y no sólo repentinamente, y también es cierto que la empresa cerró la mina, a causa de estas filtraciones, en 1915.

Creo que fué por causa de esta clausura que hubo una pequeña oleada de emigración desde la comarca de Avilés, sobre todo de las zonas al occidente de la comarca, hacia Pittsburgh y las zonas orientales de Ohio. Yo oí hablar de una tal María "la peseta", que emigró desde La Carriona ó la zona de Illas a Pittsburgh. También sé que hay bastantes descendientes de gente de la zona en Canton, OH. Si hay alguien aquí que se identifica con esta historia, me encantaría que se pusieran en contacto conmigo.

----------------------------
[Translated by JuanLeon]

It's true that there was a coal mine in Arnao (municipality of
Castrillón) starting in the first half of the 19th century, when the industrial revolution arrived in Asturias with the operations of the Belgian company named the "Royal Asturian Company of Mines". This company gave needed experience to many miners and workers in the area, who walked, every day, from places as far away as Illas, San Esteban, and further. The head works of the mine still exist right over the beach at Arnao. The mine, according to some maps that I have seen in Salinas, had galleries under the sea, towards the cape on which the lighthouse of Avilés stands. The queen Isabel II and the king Alfonso XII visitted the mine, events of which there are still plaques and photographs bearing witness at the site. Inside the shed housing the works, the hole into the galleries is still open, and there is abandoned, rusted, machinery. I saw all this before they locked it up, when I was a child. The municipality is trying to recover and reconstruct this property, but it is still the property of the corporation that spawned from the R.C.A.M, Asturiana de Zinc S.A. This corporation is refusing to either fix up the property or to revert it to the municipality so that it can fix it.

When I was a child, I also heard that the mine had suffered a sudden
flood, causing the deaths of several miners. I don´t know if this story is true, but what does seem to be documented is that the sea was continually leaking into the mine, and not only in sudden spurts. It is also true that the company closed down the mine, because of such leaks, in 1915.

I think this closure may have caused a small wave of emigration from
the area around Avilés, and especially from the western part of it, to Pittsburgh and the eastern parts of Ohio. I had heard of a woman called María "la peseta", that had emigrated to Pittsburgh from La Carriona or perhaps Illas. I also know that there are quite a few descendants of immigrants from the same area around Canton, OH. If anyone here can identify his family as part of this story, I´d love to get in touch.
JuanLeon
Translator

La mina in Enlgish / La mina en inglés

Post by JuanLeon »

Bob, I just realized you posted in English. What I posted is not very interesting, but if you don´t understand Spanish I will try to post it again in Asturianu. Just kidding, I can do it in English.

--------------------------
[Translated by JuanLeon]

Bob, me acabo de dar cuenta de que tu mensaje estaba en inglés. El mio no es muy interesante, pero si no comprendes el castellano lo escribo en Asturianu. Es broma, lo puedo poner en inglés.
Last edited by JuanLeon on Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Suronda
Co-Founder

Post by Suronda »

Juan,

I, for one, am glad that you posted in Spanish! It's nice to have an opportunity to "brush up" on reading skills here. I know that some others feel the same way.

Suronda

---------------------------------
[Translated by Juan Leon]

Juan,

Por lo menos yo, ¡me alegro de que hayas escrito en castellano! Me sirve bien para practicar la lectura del idioma. Sé que otros tienen una opinión parecida.

Suronda
Bob

Post by Bob »

I, too, am delighted that Juan posted in castellano. It not only helps me keep up my reading skills, but--perhaps more important--it encourages others to post in castellano and asturianu, making our website more attractive and useful to people outside the US.

Bob Martinez

-------------------------------------
[Translated by JuanLeon]

A mi también me encanta que Juan haya escrito en castellano. No sólo me ayuda a mantener mi nivel en el idioma, sino que también, y de manera más importante, anima a que otros también escriban en castellano y asturianu. Esto hace que asturianus.org resulte más atractivo y útil para los que no estén en EE.UU.

Bob Martínez
Xosenrique

La Real Cia Astur de Minas / The Royal Asturian Mining Co.

Post by Xosenrique »

La explotación de las minas de Arnao comenzó en 1836 y se convirtió en pocos años en la primeraen producción de asturias, aunque la cantidad de carbón era relativamente pequeña y de mala calidad. Las capas de mineral de mejor calidad se encontraban bajo el mar y su extracción necesitaba el empleo de las nuevas máquinas de vapor, por tanto, aunque mejorse la calidad, no se podría competir en precio.

En 1849 el ingeniero Jules Hauzeur descubrió que el carbón de Arnao aunque por su mala calidad era poco bituminoso y coquezaba mal sin embargo era muy gaseoso y de llama larga, esencialmente conveniente para la metalurgia del zinc. Así comoenzó la actividad productora de la Real Compañía Asturiana de Minas, sociedad constituida en Bélgica el 9 de junio de 1853, presidida por el banquero Jonathan R. Bischoffsheim. Los hornos y talleres comenzaron a funcionar en octubre de 1855.

Las condiciones laborales de los trabajadores eran pésimas, a los 45 años podían considerarse viejos. Trabajaban prácticamente de sol a sol. Así fueron creciendo diversos movimientos sindicales, que tuvieron gran repercusión en la compañía.

No se la fecha concreta, pero a comienzo del siglo XX hubo una gran huelga de los trabajadores que no consiguieron sus reivindicaciones. Hubo entonces gran cantidad de despidos y muchas familias emigraron a EE.UU.

Yo no conocía la existencia de una colonia de emigrantes en Virginia Occidenta, pero se que tras aquella huelga decenas de ex trabajadores de la Real Compañía emigraron a California.

Tal como apunta Juan León, las condiciones de extracción del mineral en Arnao fueron miu dificultosas, las filtraciones eran constantes y los accidentes eran continuos. Hasta tal punto que la compañía decidió cerrar la mina y comprar el carbón a otros productores asturianos.

-----------------------------------
[Translated by JuanLeon]

The Arnao mine started production in 1836, and in only a few years became the largest mine in Asturias, though its production was relatively small and the quality of the coal was low. The lodes of better quality were under the ocean and their extraction required steam power; the better quality would thus require great expense and the price of the resulting product would be too high.

In 1849, engineer Jules Hauzeur noticed that, despite its low quality, low bituminous content, and unsuitability for coque production, Arnao coal had high gas content and burned with long flames. This made it suitable for the production and transformation of zinc. It is thus that the Royal Asturian Mining Company started its activity: incorporated in Belgium on June 9th, 1853, lead by banker Jonathan R. Bischoffsheim, its furnaces and workshops opened in October 1855.

Working conditions were terrible, workers aged rapidly and, at 45, considered themselves old. They worked from one dawn to the next. Such conditions incubated several labor movements, which had great consequences for the company.

I don't know the exact date, but in the early years of the 20th century there was a great, unsuccesful, strike. Many people were dismissed at that time, and many families emigrated to EE.UU.

I wasn't aware of the emigrant communities of West Virginia, but I know that, following the strike, tens of workers fired from the Royal Asturian Mining Company emigrated to California.

As Juan León points out, the coal from Arnao was of difficult extraction; there were constant leaks and frequent accidents, so much so that the company decided to close the mine and buy coal from other Asturian operators.
Suronda
Co-Founder

Accidentes en Arnao (s.XX) / Arnao accidents (20th century)

Post by Suronda »

He recibido un email de Beatriz Giudic-Fernandez, una colega y amiga mia en Oviedo, con mas detalles sobre la mineria de carbon en Arnao y la cuestion de accidentes.

Beatriz dice:

Resulta que un compañero de trabajo me puso en contacto con un grupo llamado "Grupo coleccionista minero investigador" (GRU.CO.M.I.), que se dedica a investigar sobre el patrimonio minero de la región. Su presidente es un señor que se llama Pedro Fandos Rodríguez. Ayer le mandé una nota y esta mañana me encontré con la respuesta en mi colegio.

Según este señor, ellos tienen registrados sólo 6 accidentes en Arnao entre 1905 y 1910; tres de ellos por atropellos del transporte, dos por caída de costeros y uno por golpe de maquinaria. Puedes consultar los nombres de las víctimas en el artículo escrito por este señor y por Víctor Cires titulado "El pozo abuelo del carbón asturiano", en Actas del Primer Encuentro de Escritores de la Mina, abril de 2001, pp. 80-94, publicado por GRU.CO.M.I. en 2003.

Las últimas referencias que tienen documentadas sobre explotaciones en el pozo Arnao se remontan al año 1915, en el que se dieron 26.898 toneladas, con 102 obreros. En 1914, se habían extraido 40.537 toneladas de carbón con 146 obreros, lo que implcia unos rendimientos de casi 1 tonelada al día para el total de la plantilla (interior más exterior), cifra impensable en las grandes empresas de la cuenca central asturiana por aquellos años.

En 1915 parece ser que se produjo una filtración de las agua marinas tan copiosa que llevó a la práctica paralización del laboreo en el pozo Arnao. Una causa similar ya había sido citada por Fuertes Acevedo en 1868 y parece ser que la filtración de aguas marinas era el principal problema que tenía la explotación, sobre todo en una época en la que el bombeo añadía sobrecostes excesivos. Esta gente no sabe si se trató de inundaciones repentinas o de filtraciones paulatinas, ni tampoco si se produjeron víctimas.

Mil gracias, Beatriz!

--------------------------------------
[Translated by JuanLeon]

I have received an email message from Beatriz Giudic-Fernandez, a colleague and friend from Oviedo, that gives further detail regarding coal mining in Arnao and the attendant accidents.

Beatriz says:

Turns out a fellow worker put me in touch with a group called "Mining Research Collecting Group" (GRU.CO.M.I. after its initials in Spanish), whose mission is to research Asturian mining history. The president of the group is Pedro Fandos Rodríguez. I sent him a note yesterday and this morning I found his reply at my school.

According to him, the group has knowledge of only six accidents in Arnao between 1905 and 1910; three pedestrians run over by transports, two falls [of a kind of worker called "costero" -- translator does not know this term], and one machinery impact. You can get the names of the victims in the article titled "The grandfather of the Asturian mineshafts", written by Pedor Fandos and Victor Cires and appearing in the proceedings of the First Meeting of Writers of the Mine, April 2001, pp. 80-94, published by GRU.CO.MI in 2003.

The last documented references to production in the Arnao shaft are from 1915, year which yielded 26,898 metric tons using 102 workers. 1914 had yielded 40,537 metric tons with 146 workers, or almost 1 metric ton per day produced by the whole staff (interior and exterior), a number that would be surprising, at that time, for any of the large companies that operated in the central valleys of Asturias.

It appears that in 1915 there was a leak of sea water of such magnitude that practically all work had to stop in the Arnao shaft. A similar event had already been mentioned by Fuertes Acevedo in 1868 and it appears that the leakage of sea water was the most significant problem at the site, especially because, at the time, pumping was very expensive. My sources don't know whether the flooding was sudden or progressive, or whether it had any victims.

Thanks a million, Beatriz!
Xosenrique

More about Arnao workers / Más sobre trabajadores en Arnao

Post by Xosenrique »

(I feel not write well English)
In May/7/1903 the Real Compañía Asturiana de Minas expelled 3 workers. This event motivated the general protest of all workers in the company. Thus a general strike in the Real Company began. The company pressed the families of the workers, infiltrated elements of confidence between the strikers and it did not change to his decision, handling the situation with iron hand. The company directors were stronger. The union organization was not able to be against to a great company that did not demonstrate to generosity after the victory. Its revenge was very hard. To the implied workers they reduced the pay 50% and ordered work the time double, (before 12 hours daily, later 24 hours followed). They eliminated the average wage which paid to the ill employees and were massive expulsions. Thehe workers who went to the union organizations were persecuted. For that reason many workers of the Real Compañía decided emigrate to diverse places of the United States.

------------------------------
[Translated by JuanLeon]

(Siento no escribir bien el inglés.)
El 7 de Mayo de 1903 la Real Compañía Asturiana de Minas despidió a tres trabajadores. Este acontecimiento provocó la protesta generalizada de los trabajadores de la compañía, e impulsó una huelga general. La compañía presionó a las familias de los trabajadores, infiltró agentes entre los huelguistas, y no rectificó su posición, manejando la situación con mano de hierro. Los gerentes de la compañía eran más fuertes. Los sindicalistas no podían sostenerse contra una gran compañía que no demostró ninguna generosidad tras su victoria. La venganza fue contundente. A los trabajadores implicados se les redujo el salario en un 50%, y se les ordenó trabajar el doble de horas (12 horas con anterioridad, 24 después de la huelga). Se eliminó la paga a los trabajadores enfermos y hubo despidos masivos. Los trabajadores que acudieron a los sindicatos fueron procesados. Por estas razones muchos trabajadores de la Real Compañía decidieron emigrar a varios lugares de los Estados Unidos.
Suronda
Co-Founder

Post by Suronda »

Xosenrique,

Thanks for posting this information about the 1903 strike in Arnao. It is quite interesting to note that opportunities for zinc workers through the Grasselli Chemical Company began that same year. Grasselli Chemical of Cleveland finalized plans to locate near Clarksburg, WV in 1903, and their first day of production in Grasselli, WV (what we know today as the town of Anmoore) began in 1904. I had not realized that a strike in Arnao had important chronological connections to the emigration to West Virginia, but it seems to be key in uncovering at least some of the reasons for emigration/immigration.

I know personally of one man that worked in the Arnao factory - I'm assuming it was the Real Compañía Asturiana, but I think he emigrated to West Virginia much later than 1903. When I spoke with him many years ago, he said that he worked in Spelter, WV with many of the same men he had worked with in Arnao. Several of them had emigrated to the same place. In particular, he noted that one of his supervisors from Arnao, was now stuck working in the furnaces with the rest of the Spaniards. He thought it was a humorous twist of fate.

Just as a note, the Asturianus working in zinc in West Virginia encountered some of the same problems that those workers in Arnao found. Longer hours and lowered wages, the preferrential treatment afforded the "tizadores" (like an 8-hour day with no such opportunity for average workers) and discrimination against Spaniards in general (it was common to employ them only as furnace workers). In 1919, zinc workers staged a two month strike that was quite successful in getting recognition of the union, an 8-hour day and other important concessions. At the end of their contract the following year, however, there was another strike. The battle was never finished it seems.

The "victory" of zinc workers, however, is quite remarkable when compared to the situation of coal miners in the southern part of West Virginia during the same time. These strikers were victims of the company's brutality, dangerous working conditions, and the intervention of the federal government who ordered miners back to work in 1919. By 192o, there was such unrest, including a "shoot out" (referred to as the "Matewan Massacre" or the"Battle of Matewan"), that the government sent federal troops to West Virginia in 1921.

----------------------
[Translated by JuanLeon]

Xosenrique,

Gracias por esta información sobre la huelga de 1903 en Arnao. Tiene gran interés el comprobar que los puestos de trabajo en zinc de la compañía Química Grasselli comenzaron a estar disponibles ese mismo año. Grasselli Chemical, de Cleveland, Ohio, finalizó su planificación para instalar una fábrica cerca de Clarksburg, Virginia Occidental, en 1903, cuya explotación comenzó en 1904 en la localidad que entonces se llamó Grasselli, Virginia Occidental (y que hoy conocemos por el nombre se Anmoore). No sabía que una huelga en Arnao hubiera tenido conexiones cronológicas tan importantes con la emigración a Virginia Occidental, pero desde luego parece transcendental para descubrir algunas de las razones para esta emigración.

Conozco personalmente a un hombre que trabajó en la mina de Arnao -- asumo que se trataba de la Real Compañía Asturiana -- pero creo que emigró a Virginia Occidental mucho después del 1903. Cuando hablé con él hace ya muchos años, me dijo que había trabajado en Spelter, Virginia Occidental, con mucha de la misma gente con la que había trabajado en Arnao. Muchos de ellos emigraron al mismo destino. Un detalle interesante que comentó es que unos de sus capataces en Arnao acabó teniendo que trabajar en los hornos con el resto de los españoles. Pensó que era un revés irónico de la fortuna.

Quiero comentar que los asturianos encontraron problemas parecidos en Virginia Occidental a aquellos con los que se habían encontrado en Arnao. Más horas y menor renumeración, el trato preferente a los tizadores (que recibían jornadas de ocho horas a los que los otros no tenían derecho), y la discriminación a los españoles en general (erá común el que sólo trabajaran en los hornos). En 1919, los trabajadores del zinc hicieron una huelga de dos meses que tuvo bastante éxito, obteniendo el reconocimiento del sindicato, la jornada de ocho horas, y otras concesiones de importancia. No obstante, cuando se terminó el contrato al año siguente, hubo otra huelga. Parece ser que la batalla nunca terminaba.

La "victoria" de los trabajadores del zinc es digna de mención cuando se compara con la situación, en la misma época, de los mineros del carbón en la parte meridional de la Virginia Occidental. Estos huelguistas eran víctimas de la brutalidad de la compañía, de peligrosas condiciones laborales, y de la intervención del gobierno federal estadounidense que forzó a los mineros a volver al trabajo en 1919. Llegado el 1920, había tal tensión (incluido un tiroteo conocido como "la masacre de Matewan" o "la batalla de Matewan"), que en 1921 el gobierno despachó tropas federales a Virginia Occidental.
JuanLeon
Translator

Post by JuanLeon »

¡ Qué interesante ! Gracias Xosenrique.

I recently heard from Benilde, a relative of the current Mayor of Illas and
presently owner/cook of "Casa benilde", a great "chigre" in the Avilés ne?ghbourhood of La Carriona. Benilde's parents were in Donora in the wave of zinc emigration at the beginning of the century; Benilde herself lived there. And I remember meeting her daughter, who is firmly established in Pittsburgh. Benilde confirmed that most of the RCAM people left for Grasselli because of the 1903 strike. Several more
left later, once the initial emigrants established themselves in the U.S.,
but in any case it appears that the closing of the mine did not have a significant effect.

Turns out my father knows Victor Cires, one of the authors of the article
mentioned by Beatriz who has very recently retired from work in AZSA,
the successor to the RCAM. I will ask him for a copy of the article.

Juan

------------------------------------
[Translated by JuanLeon]

How interesting! Thanks, Xosenrique.

Hace poco oí hablar de Benilde, de la familia de la alcaldesa actual de Illas y que ahora regenta y guisa en "Casa Benilde", un chigre afayizo del barrio de La Carriona en Avilés. Los padres de Benilde estuvieron en Donora en la ola de emigración de principios de siglo, y la misma Benilde vivió allí. Recuerdo haber conocido a su hija, que está bien establecida en Pittsburgh. Benilde confirmó que la mayoría de la gente de la RCAM se fué a Grasselli a causa de la huelga de 1903. Hubo más gente que se fué después de que la avanzadilla estuviera ya establecida en los EE.UU. De cualquier manera, parece ser que la clausura de la mina no fué determinante.

Resulta que mi padre conoce a Victor Cires, uno de los autores del artículo que menciona Beatriz. El Sr. Cires se jubiló hace bien poco de AZSA, la sucesora de la RCAM. Le pediré una copia del artículo.

Juan
Last edited by JuanLeon on Mon Nov 24, 2003 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xosenrique

Post by Xosenrique »

Gracias Juan. Tu también aportas un nuevo dato muy interesante. No sabía que la famosa Benilde hubiese vivido en EEUU. En estos momentos estoy buscando información relacionada con los trabajadores de la comarca que emigraron a Virginia Occidental. Intentaré localizar a la familia de Benilde, desgraciadamente ya no regentan el chigre, pero intentaré localizar a la familia d algún modo (supongo que Beninde ya no vive).

Como nota interesante estoy siguiendo el rastro de varios emigrantes que mantienen familia en la comarca y lo curioso es que ha aperecido no un familiar, sino un protagonista en persona. Un anciano de 102 años que emigró a Spelter en 1920 y permaneció allí hasta al menos 1924, aunque las fechas no son seguras. He puesto un hilo sobre el tema en el foro: http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtop ... light=#510, (disculpad la poca desenvoltura que tengo con el inglés)

Hemos publicado un artículo en Avilesenlahistoria.com sobre la emigración a virginia Occidental, aunque para los miembros del foro no tendrá mucho interés, pues no son más que notas recogidas del foro y poco más. En breve publicaremos una segunda parte con la información que vamos recopilando.

Un saludo a todos.

-------------------------------------
[Translated by JuanLeon]

Thanks, Juan. You also contribute an interesting new fact. I didn't know that the famous Benilde had been in the USA. I am currently looking for information about the workers from the area that emigrated to W.V. I will look for Benilde's family. Unfortunately they no longer run the restaurant, but I will try to locate the family in some other way (I assume Benilde is no longer alive).

In tracing the links of several emigrants to families that still live around Avilés, I have found not merely a relative, but an actual participant: a 102-year-old man that left for Spelter in 1920 and stayed until at least 1924, though the dates are less than certain. I have started a thread on this topic in the forum: http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtop ... light=#510, (please excuse my lack of fluency in English)

We have also published an article in http//www.avilesenlahistoria.com about the West Virginia emigration. This article will not be very interesting to people here because it is little more than a compilation of facts from this forum. Soon we will publish a second part to the article which will contain the information we have been collecting.

Regards to all.
IGNACIO LEON

150 ANIVERSARIO MINA DE ARNAO

Post by IGNACIO LEON »

La Asociación de Vecinos de Santa María del Mar celebrará el próximo día 22 varios actos con motivo del 150 aniversario de la apertura del pozo de la mina de Arnao. Habrá una mesa redonda en las Escuelas de Arnao, una visita al castillete, y se colocará de una placa conmemorativa de esta efemérides en el local de la asociación de la entidad.
LA VOZ DE AVILES 19/11/2003

------------------------------------------
[Translated by JuanLeon]

On Nov 22nd, the neighbourhood association of Santa María del Mar will organize several events to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Arnao mine shaft. Among them will be a round table discussion at the Arnao school building, a visit to the head of the shaft, and the uncovering of a commemorative plaque at the offices and community center of the association.
[Published in] LA VOZ DE AVILES Nov 19th 2003
Tatiana

Mina de Arnao

Post by Tatiana »

Buenos días.

Encontré este foro por casualidad y he decidido registrarme en él.
Mi nombre es Tatiana, tengo 29 años y vivo en Arnao desde que nací. Mi familia también ha vivido y nacido en Arnao. Mi abuelo trabajó en la Real Compañía Asturiana de Minas, ahora Asturiana de Zinc y en ella aún trabaja mi tío.

No he estado leyendo demasiado por este foro por lo que puede que la información que os doy aqui ya la sepais, pero recientemente el pueblo de Arnao ha sido declarado Conjunto historico por el Consejo del Patrimonio Cultural de Asturias. Se puede leer más sobre esto en:
http://www.lne.es/secciones/seccion.jsp ... 4633767676

Si quereis que os envíe fotos, tanto antiguas como actuales de la zona, no teneis más que pedirlo.

Yo también tengo familia que ha emigrado a EEUU y sé que tengo parientes en Pensilvania, quizás este foro me ayude a encontrarlos... Mi abuelo se llamaba Román Lopez Martinez, y nacio en 1915. Su hermana Herminia Lopez Martinez nacida en 1899 emigró a EEUU con 18 años de edad y allí tuvo hijos. El mayor de ellos, nacido en 1917 se llamaba Ramón y su segundo apellido era Lopez, pero no conozco el primero.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transl. Terechu

I found this forum by chance and have decided to register.
My name is Tatiana, I am 29 years old and I live in Arnao since my birth. My family also lives and was born in Arnao. My grandfather worked for the Real Cia. Asturiana de Minas, today’s Asturiana de Zinc, where my uncle still works.

I haven’t read too much of the forum, so maybe this information is already known to you, but the town of Arnao as such has been declared “Historic [architectural] Compound” by Asturias’ Council for Cultural Heritage. You can read additional information at:
http://www.lne.es/secciones/seccion.jsp ... 4633767676

If you would like me to send pictures of the area, both old and new, just let me know.

I, too, have family members who emigrated to the USA and I know I have relatives in Pennsylvania, maybe this Forum might help me find them...
My grandfather’s name was Román López Martínez and he was born in 1915. His sister Herminia López Martínez, born in 1899, emigrated to the USA at the age of 18 and her children were born there. The oldest, born in 1917, was called Ramón and his second surname was López, but I don’t know his first one.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Hola, Tatiana,

Sería una idea muy buena escribir una mensaje sobre tu familia americana en la sección del foro llamada "genealogy" por que allí, es posible que otros miembros conocería algo de tu familia en los EEUU.

Si tienes fotos de Arnao, nos interesarán. Mandadme unos de los mejores y los pondré en el álbum de fotos. Mi correo esta de la parte abajo de cada página del sitio.

---------------

Hello, Tatiana,

It would be a good idea to write a message about your American family in the section of the forum called "genealogy" because it is possible that there other members will know something of your family in the US.

If you have photos of Arnao, we'd be interested in seeing them. Send me some of the best ones and I'll add them to the photo album. My email address appears at the bottom of every page in the forum.

Return to “Work & Industry - Trabajo e industria”