Origin of the lastname Victorero

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

Cinnam0nr0ll

Origin of the lastname Victorero

Post by Cinnam0nr0ll »

My grandfather told me that his family left from Spain and went to Cuba. However, it seems like there is little information about the lastname. He also said that there is a possiblity that the lastname also originated in Italy. Can someone please help me? It would be greatly appreciated, thank you. :D
Bob

Post by Bob »

One possible source of information can be found at http://www.ldelpino.com/hidalg.html Keep in mind that many surnames have multiple origins. You might want to explore the rest of Luis del Pino's site as well.

[Art: the site is now gone, but available in the www.WaybackMachine.org archive:
http://web.archive.org/web/200501210915 ... eneal.html
Try that instead.]
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Just yesterday I watched a fascinating documentary on the Victorero family on TV.
They were from Lastres, Asturias, and their family mansion still towers over the town, overlooking the harbour and beaches of Lastres and Colunga, with magnificent views of the Sueve Mountain.

They were 12 sibilings in all. The last six Victoreros of Lastres died childless and left their belongings to the Church, the magnificnet house is now the residence of a few nuns and the gardens have turned into wilderness.

The Victoreros made a fortune in Mexico, they owned paper warehouses, had land enough to raise record cotton crops, and were the licensees of Mexico's national lottery. During the Mexican Revolution they were asked to leave the country by Pancho Villa, but since they had their money in Canadian banks, neither the Wallstreet Crash nor the sudden loss of their means of livelihood turned them into paupers. They returned home sometime around the 1920's. Of the 6 siblings who returned at that time, one is said to have been a great inventor. He invented the "Victoria" cigarette machine. At that time, when tobacco was sold in pouches or packs it was a great success.

They were also the ones who donated the iron cross on top of the Sueve's highest peak, the Picu Pienzu. There was some beautiful footage of that event, with crowds of people from Lastres, Colunga, Libardón and other villages helping to carry the segments. Then there was the erection of the cross itself, while the girls and women danced forming a ring, and the big "merienda" or picnic on the meadows afterwards. A piece of Asturian history filmed in colour. I enjoyed it immensely.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Para los que tengan Canal Satélite, en este enlace veréis las fechas de emisión de este documental.

P.S. I found a link with the rerun dates of this documentary whttp://www.plus.es/codigo/documania/ficha.asp?id=413280
Annette

Victorero - Colunga to Cuba

Post by Annette »

I do know of a Francisco Victorero Suardiaz from Colunga who moved to Cuba and married a Cuban. If he or his parents sound familiar please let me know. I believe there is only one person from that line who remains with the Victorero surname. She is quite elderly with no children and lives in Maryland, I haven't been able to find her though.

Here is the line, best of luck with your search
(Art, thanks for getting me back on!)

Saludos, Annette

Descendants of Manuel Victorero

1 Manuel Victorero b: in Spain ?
..+Concepcion Suardiaz b: in Spain ?

..2 Francisco Victorero Suardiaz b: in Colunga, Oviedo, Spain
d: in Cárdenas , Matanzas, Cuba
......+Catalina María Gonzalez Vega b: in Cárdenas , Matanzas, Cuba
d: in Cárdenas , Matanzas, Cuba m: March 01, 1869 in Cárdenas

......3 Catalina María de la Concepcion Victorero Gonzalez b: December 26, 1871 in Cárdenas, Cuba d: January 11, 1948 in Cárdenas, Cuba
..........+José Antonio Alzola Mendizabal b: June 25, 1876 in Nachitua, Vizcaya, Spain d: May 1961 in Cárdenas, Cuba m: May 18, 1904 in Cuba

......3 María Teresa Victorero Gonzalez b: Abt. 1870 in Cárdenas, Cuba
d: Abt. 1950 in Cárdenas, Cuba
..........+José Peraza m: in No Children

......3 Francisco Victorero Gonzalez b: Abt. 1875 in Cárdenas, Cuba
d: in NY?
..........+Lily Diaz b: Abt. 1879 d: in New York ?
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Just a brief remark, Lastres lies within the county of Colunga. In other words, these Victoreros are probably closely related.

Terechu
L

Post by L »

en mi pueblo hay una familia, recuerdo que al chaval lo llamabamos de mote "vitorero". No creo que exista mucha gente con ese apellido, al igual que tampoco hay muchos lugones en asturias...

___

In my town there is a family, I remember the boy we called him, as alias, "vitorero". I dont know if exit many people with that surname, as the same there is no much "lugones" in asturias..
wmbuscolu

Sobre los Victorero

Post by wmbuscolu »

Si queréis información sobre los victorero os recomendamos nuestros foros, ya que es un apellido "Lastrín" como bien dijo Terechu y seguro que os podéis poner en contacto con familiares.

www.buscolu.tk

------------------------------
Translated by Bob

If you would like information about the Vitoreros we recommend our forums, since it is a surname from Lastres as Terechu has well said and surely you will be able to be in contact with relatives.

www.buscolu.tk
mariposa

Victorero

Post by mariposa »

My husband has told me also that the name originated in Italy - Sicily, actually - and it was originally Vittorio. The cubanization happened several generations ago and a corruption of the spelling occurred.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

I know nothing about these names, but it's easy to imagine that a Sicilian living in Cuba might have their name "regularized" to a more Hispanic spelling and pronounciation. Of course, Victorero and Vittorio could still be authentic names in their own regions.

----------------

No sé nada sobre estos apellidos, pero sea fácil imaginar que un siciliano que vive en Cuba podría tener su nombre "regularizado" una ortografía y pronounciation más hispánica. Desde luego, Victorero y Vittorio todavía podría ser apellidos auténticos en sus propias regiones.
mariposa

Victorero

Post by mariposa »

I am actually enjoying the asturian possibilities about the name :) My husband always said that All Victoreros are family somehow. I'd love to get to know more Victoreros. by the way, our son Alex, has a band in florida with a website....www.audiologyband.com....not latin or spanish at all, but he is another Victorero. I am a retired opera singer, Luis and I have four children, all of whom sing. Lus's dads name is Luis Manuel Victorero, he has a family in Cuba still, not sure what family has found its way out of Cuba or what family may still reside in spain.
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Por fin he podido entrar en la excelente página sobre Colunga que nos facilita wmbuscolu: www.buscolu.tk
y que tiene gran cantidad de información y fotos de este concejo. Entre otros este pequeño tesoro sobre los primeros emigrantes del concejo, donde se ve como varía la ortografía de Bictorero a Victorero.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have finally been able to access the excellent website on Colunga that wmbuscolu has provided:
www.buscolu.tk
and there is a host of information and pictures on this county. Among other little treasures, I found the following text on the county's early "emigrés", where the spelling variation Bictorero becomes Victorero:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PARROQUIA Y PUERTO DE LASTRES:

NICOLAS DEL CANTILLO LUE, Año 1686. “ Ausente en Indias, hijodalgo notorio”.

ANTONIO GRANDA. Año de 1.868. “ Ausente en Indias, hijodalgo notorio” Canella habla de un Lorenzo Antonio de Granda, Capitán General de la Costa Rica y Nicaragua.

MARTINO DE LUE. Año de 1.686 “ Ausente en Indias, hijodalgo”

JOSE ANTONIO DE LOS THOiOS . Año 1.730. “ Ausente en el reyno de Nueva España, soltero, hijo lexítimo de Joseph de los Tohios y María Nogal, yjodalgo. “.

V. PEDRO DE CUELI. Año de 1.744. “ Hijo de D. Pedro de Cueli y su mujer Dª Ana de Colunga, hijodalgo, ausente en la América” .

ANTONIO MALLEZA Año de 1.744. “ Hijo de Juan Malleza, hijodalgo ausente en América” .

JOSEPH DE LA YSLA. Año 1.744. “ Hijo de Gaspar, ausente en la América, hijodalgo por serlo su padre”.

LORENZO JOSEF SUAREZ DE LA GRANDA Y VICTORERO. Año 1.749. Presbítero y su hermano JUAN ANTONIO , hijos de Dn. Alejandro Suárez de la Granda Robledo y Dª Gertrudis Bictorero Thoro, hijosdalgo, ausente en el Reino del Perú, hixodalgo notorio” . y su hermano como “ Coronel delos Reales Exércitos y Caballero de San Juan de Malta”.

BENITO DE LUE Y RIEGA. Año 1.808. “Obispo de Buenos Aires, hixodalgo notorio, hijo de Dª María Josefa Riega Solares, viuda de Dn. Cosme Antonio de Lue”. Había nacido en Lastes el 12 de marzo de 1.735. Se inicia en la carrera de las armas para abrazar luego el estado eclesiástico, alcanzando el doctorado en teología y ambos Derechos. En 1.791 logra un canonjía en la Catedral de Lugo . Carlos IV en 1.801 usando el derecho de presentación otorgado por Julio II para los obispados de América, le propone para Obispo de Buenos Aires tomando posesión en 1.803. Su labor debió ser fecunda pese a verse inmerso en revueltas políticas. Según Pérez de Castro “ En 1.812 fallece sospechosamente siendo el último obispo de España en el Río de la Plata”.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Ah! Thanks, Terechu. Now Mariposa has even more family!

---------

¡Vaya! Gracias a Terechu. ¡Ahora Mariposa tiene todavía más parientes!
astyr

Victorero

Post by astyr »

I have just discovered this forum yesterday while i was trying to find out somemore details about La carisa prerroman ruins...first at all i would like to congratulate you for its quality!!! well...surfing your site i found that you need information about the family surname Victorero.
Well dont fuss yourself...its asturian..nothing to do with Italy...my grandmother is Palmira Victorero, borned in Lastres (Asturies), there are still Victorero living in Colunga county... and yes our family sponsored a big metal cross on the Pienzu pick...(i promise i will send photos...) and it was...(following my granny memories) because our family survived a sort of typical hurricane of the Cantabric sea called galerna...as they came back to Llastres safe and sound...they priomised to put a CROSS on the top of Pienzu pick. My great grandfather was fisherman...borned in Lastres too...and his knick name was El buque (the vessel or the ship..) because he owned the biggest boat in Llastres by that time (please dont think it was a ship but just a boat.. I have photos also). About family history....I must tell you that our Shield (or malily arms) is visible in some big houses all over the area and even in a Castle near Ggbiendes. I remenber when I was a child that in summer I used to spent my holidays in Carrandi (Colunga - asturies) just in front of the Pienzu pick...at my grannies house...well that house was in fact rented from the Catholic church...but...it had our shield on the front. As you see...nothing to do with Italy. About our glorious past...we lost our posesions in the last 50 years...and some of the family went to Chile about 40 - 50 years ago..they made a fortune there...with cars I think... but I am not sure if they kept the surname. Anyway...about five years ago when i was with my mother in Madrdi we found in an anticuary the cigarrtte machine to make cigarettes....Victorero... as you see...we do exist yet allthough I have lost the surname (its my mothers) my granny says I look like de Victorero side...
I would be happy to hear from all of you...
I promise tonight I ll send photos of the Sueve and cross
bye
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Quite a thread on the Victoreros! As I mentioned in my first post, the documentary film shows not only the family home over the coast of Lastres, but it also shows how the cross on the Picu Pienzu was erected back in the 50s, how the farmers and other parishoners of Libardón and the Libardón valley carried the beams up the hill and how they all had a picnic on the meadow afterwards.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Menudo hilo que nos está saliendo sobre los Victorero! Como ya dije en mi primer post, en el documental no sólo se ve la casa de los Victorero sobre la costa de Lastres, sino también el montaje de la cruz en el Picu Pienzu allá por los años 50, con los aldeanos y otros parroquianos de Libardón subiendo las vigas monte arriba y también la merienda que hicieron después en la campa.
Cinnam0nr0ll

A thank you...

Post by Cinnam0nr0ll »

I just wanted to thank everyone for their information. It's been a while since I've been to this website but I see that everyone has knowledge concerning the subject of the Victorero lastname. :lol: It's also good to know the history behind the lastname. Thank you once more!

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”