I need a good Spanish-English dictionary? Recommendations?

Grammar & vocabulary, learning it, etc.<br>
Gramática y vocabulario, aprenderlo, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Art
Site Admin

I need a good Spanish-English dictionary? Recommendations?

Post by Art »

Hi,
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good Spanish-English and English-Spanish dictionary?

I want something fat or very complete, with good coverage of idioms and other expressions. Most of what I'm seeing are basic dictionaries. My old Larousse Diccionario Moderno was very good, but I can't find it today.

Thanks, Art
Juan Pombal

Collin´s

Post by Juan Pombal »

I think the best dictionary is the "Collin´s", you can buy it in all the places. Very useful.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Thanks for the tip, Juan. Do you have a ISBN for that? It's amazing how many different versions they publish.
Agustin

ISBN

Post by Agustin »

Tengo un ejemplar del COLLINS delante de mí . Su ISBN es 84-253-3433-0 al menos el publicado en España
Desde Xixón un saludo a los hermanos de América

Blog: http://unahistoriadepequeascosas.blogspot.com/
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Ah, that's huge--exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks, Agustin.
Sweeney

dictionary

Post by Sweeney »

I just bought the Harper Collins Spanish College Dictionary [Hardcover, 4th edition, 1290 pages]. You can find it at online book stores from between $9 to $22, excluding the shipping cost. I like it because the print is larger than my old paperback dictionary, plus it includes technical translations, like computer online/email vocabulary and spanish abbreviations used in text messages. It also has a section on writing letters in spanish and useful spanish sentences. I would recommend it. 8)

I think Harper Collins may have a newer edition, but I got this version because it was inexpensive and it has everything I need.
Donna
Bob

Post by Bob »

For those interested in using a good quality dictionary program to look up an occasional word or two while online, I recommmend Webster's Spanish/English Dictionary published by Exceller Software. See http://www.exceller.com.

The menu can be set for either English or Spanish, and a simply mouse click switches you from looking up the English translation of Spanish words to the reverse. I think it is about equally good in either direction. It has the advantage of providing examples of usage in context for many words. It's not huge as compared to some print dictionaries--about 60,000 entries--but not tiny either, and more than adequate for most purposes.
Leto
Translator

Did anybody asked for a dictionary?

Post by Leto »

I agree, the Collins is a really good investment. I just wanted to add that the European Commission has a words translator very useful when you need something very technical. The link is
:arrow: http://europa.eu.int/eurodicautom/Controller
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

For a pocket-sized dictionary I really like the Collins Gem Spanish Dictionary. The very latest revision has fewer pages and entries, so you might want to get one of the older ones on clearance. The 1997 ISBN 0-00-470048-1 is good, as is the 2001 ISBN 0-00-472515-3.

-----------------

Si quieres un diccionario de bolsillo, a mi me gusta mucho el Collins Gem Spanish Dictionary. La última revisión tiene menos páginas y entradas, por eso podrías querer comprar uno de los más viejos en rebajas. El de 1997 con ISBN 0-00-470048-1 es bueno, como también es el 2001 con ISBN 0-00-472515-3.

Return to “Castilian Spanish - Castellano”