NAVIDAD

Happenings of interest to forum participants.<br>
Sucesos de interés a foreros.

Moderator: Moderators

enedina

NAVIDAD

Post by enedina »

¡Hola!. ¿Cómo estáis?. Aunque, un poco anticipadamente, quiero desear a tod@s l@s que entran en el foro unas felices fiestas.
¡Felicidad desde los fantasmas del pasado, presente y futuro!
:D

-----------
trad. Art

Hello! How are you all? Although it may be a little early, I want to wish everyone who enters the forum Happy Holidays.
Merry Christmas from the ghosts of the past, present and future!
:D
una enamorada d'asturies
Bob

Post by Bob »

It's never too early to wish everyone a Merry Christmas. The stores here start putting up Christmas decorations at the end of October (for obvious commercial reasons). Your reference to the ghosts of the past, present and future is very Dickensian. Is Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" well known in Asturias?

By the way, today in the EEUU is Thanksgiving, a sort of harvest holiday that supposedly harks back to the Puritan emigrants (from England to what is now the EEUU) celebrating their first harvest in Massachusetts in the early 1600's. The idea is to express thanks for what we have. It's traditional for families and friends to gather for a meal of roast turkey (pavo) with stuffing, gravy, potatoes, turnips, squash, corn, etc., and overeating seems to be the norm. We will be with our daughter, her husband and our two little granddaughters for dinner.

In the EEUU, the day before Thanksgiving is the biggest travel day of the year, as people fly and drive many miles to be with their families. The day after Thanksgiving is Black Friday (Viernes Negro), so named because it is the first day that many commercial enterprises show a profit (are "in the black" in accounting jargon) for the year. Almost everyone has that day, like Thanksgiving itself, off from work, and many use the day to shop for Christmas gifts. The roads and the stores are extremely crowded. Evelyn and I do almost all of our shopping online.

Here in New Haven (and in Niagara Falls where my parents live) we already have snow. Two or three inches of it in New Haven, and it has coated everything with pristine whiteness. The snow is earlier than usual this year.

Bob Martínez
enedina

respuesta

Post by enedina »

¡Hola!. La frase, con la que felicito la Navidad, no aparece en las tarjetas de Navidad en Asturias. Aparece en el Publiser (no recuerdo como se escribe), a modo de frases hechas.

Espero que lo pasaras muy bien en compañía de tu familia. De la Fiesta de la que me hablas, la conozco gracias al cine americano, y biene traducido, como Fiesta de Acción de Gracias.

Un Saludo.

--------------
trad. Art

Hello! The phrase with which I wished you a Merry Christmas does not appear on the Christmas greeting cards in Asturias. It does appear in the Publisher [Art: I'm not sure what this word is] (I don't remember how to spell it), as a set phrase.

I hope that you spend the holiday well in the company of your family. I know about the holiday that you [Bob] write about [Thanksgiving], thanks to American movies. It would be translated as "Fiesta de Acción de Gracias".

Best wishes!
una enamorada d'asturies

Return to “Events - Acontecimientos”