Celebrating My Asturian Roots

Happenings of interest to forum participants.<br>
Sucesos de interés a foreros.

Moderator: Moderators

Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

It was a cold day in Spelter WV the 7 of December, but the hearts of the Asturian community were warm. I would like to thank Xose, and his parents, as well as Art, they were there to help us celebrate our heritage. Luis has done a wonderful job of documenting the hopes and dreams of our people, I will be forever indebted to him.

We had two days of story telling, of days when we were all a little younger, stories of our parents, as well as our grandparents, it will be a beautiful story. It is a small world we live in. The grandfather of Luis had two brothers who immigrated to U.S. one of them married my father's sister, yes a small world. West Virginia Public Television also did a wonderful job, their work was flawless, and complete, a very professional crew , you have my ever-lasting thanks.

I'm proud of my Asturian heritage, it has be said, "You don't know who you are until you know were you came from." I'm Asturian.

--------------------------------------
Transl. Terechu

El siete de diciembre fue un día frío en Spelter, Virginia Occidental, pero había calor en los corazones de la comunidad asturiana. Quisiera dar las gracias a Xose y sus padres, así como a Art, por estar allí y ayudarnos a celebrar nuestra herencia.
Luis hizo un trabajo magnífico al documentar las esperanzas y sueños de nuestra gente; estaré siempre en deuda con él.

Nos pasamos dos días contando vivencias de aquellos días en que éramos un poco más jóvenes, historas de nuestros padres y de nuestros abuelos - va a ser una historia preciosa. Este mundo es un pañuelo, el abuelo de Luis tenía dos hermanos que emigraron a los EE.UU. Uno de ellos se casó con la hermana de mi padre - ciertamente es un mundo pequeño. La televisión pública de Virginia Occidental también hizo un trabajo maravilloso, un trabajo impecable y completo. Un gran equipo profesional, mi agradecimiento eterno a vosotros.

Se suele decir que no sabes quién eres mientras no sepas de dónde vienes. ¡Yo soy asturiano!
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Thanks for the post, Ron. I wish I could have been there and meet all of you and listen to those stories! Congratulations to all!
You know what I'm going to ask next: can we see the pictures?
WV Public Television should sell that reel to Asturian TV stations, I know they'd fight over it. :lol:

-----------------------------------------------------

Gracias por el mensaje, Ron. Me hubiera gustado poder estar allí, conoceros a todos vosotros y escuchar esas historias. Felicidades a todos!

Ya sabes lo que voy a preguntar a continuación: podemos ver las fotos?
La televisión pública de VO debería vender ese documental a las cadenas de televisión de Asturias, seguro que se pelearían por el. :lol:
Mafalda

Post by Mafalda »

Gracias a Terechu por traducir tan rápido el mensaje de Ron, para los que no sabemos ingles (es mi asignatura pendiente, algun dia lo apenderé), es importante, porque el reverso no da mucho de si.

Enhorabuena a todos, por las jornadas emocionantes que habeis vivido con Luis Argeo, yo tambien espero ver pronto colgado en el foro un album con las fotos del evento.

¡¡¡Pues claro que el mundo es un pañuelo!!!, Esti neñu, ye fiu de "Luisin el de Pintao",él y sus hermanos (Chechu y Juanin) se criaron al lado de mis sobrinos Jose y Sandra, una pandilla de chiquillos estupenda, que a estas alturas ya estan triunfando en la vida, en sus respectivas profesiones. Ni que decir tiene que estamos muy orgullosos de ellos.

Estoy segura de que a poco que "rasqueis" los descendientes de aquellos asturianos emigrados a primeros del siglo XX a WV, todos, al igual que Ron, encontrareis parientes en Castrillón, Illas, Soto del Barco, Gozón o Aviles. Esto es como una gran familia, y practicamente todos, tenemos algun pariente que emigró a USA, como consecuencia de las huelgas y los despidos de 1903 primero y despues en 1912 y siguientes.

Espero con impaciencia ver el resultado del trabajo de Luis Argeo, yo pensaba que era para editarlo aqui en España, supongo que lo que cuenta Ron de la TV pública de Virginia, será un reportaje hecho con motivo del evento.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Transl. Terechu

Thanks to Terechu for translating Ron's post so quickly. For those of us who don't speak English (my subject to be retaken, some day I'll learn it) it is important, as the Reverso is not all that good.

Congratulations to all for the exciting days you had with Luis Argeo, I too look forward to seeing the photos of this event in the forum.

Why, of course it's a small world!!! Esti neñu, ye fiu de "Luisin el de Pintao",(This kid is Luisín el de Pintao's boy). He and his brothers (Chechu and Juanín) grew up with my nephews and niece José and Sandra, and a great bunch they were, who are now grown and pursuing their own, very successful careers. Needless to say, we are very proud of them.

I'm sure that those of you descening from the Asturians who emigrated in the early 1900's to WV, all of you, just like Ron, if you just scratch the surface a bit you will find relatives in Castrillón, Illas, Soto del Barco, Gozón or Avilés. This is like a big family and practically all of us have a relative who once emigrated to the USA as a consequence of the massive strikes and dismissals of 1903 first, then 1912 and so on.

I can't wait to see the results of Luis Argeo's work. I thought it was to be edited here in Spain, so I suppose that the film by WV Public Television that Ron mentions is actually a report on the occasion of the event.
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Terechu
That question was asked many times in two days, Luis told me that it would be released in Asturias, as well in West Virginia . As you know this is a big project , it will take time to put it together. WVPBS will call me before it is aired here ,I will call the Asturian community to let them know, believe me I will post the day, and time.
-------------------------------

Trad. Terechu

Esa pregunta se hizo muchas veces en esos dos días, Luis me dijo que se emitirá tanto en Asturias como en V.O. Como sabéis, se trata de un gran proyecto y llevará tiempo componerlo. Los de la TV pública de VO me van a llamar antes de emitirlo aquí; yo llamaré a la comunidad asturiana para avisarles, créeme, avisaré el día y hasta la hora.
jomaguca

Re: Celebrating My Asturian Roots

Post by jomaguca »

Ron, gracias, seguro qué fué una fiesta maravillosa ,yo como Terechu, podremos ver las fotos de la fiesta?no estuvo en la fiesta mi prima Donna también amiga del foro? ella vive en Stafford Virginia, Terechu a tí gracias por traducir tan pronto y poder enterarnos de algo qué pena qué no haya más gente para traducir.saludos
-----------------------

Trad. Terechu

Thanks, Ron. I'm sure it was a wonderful event. Like Terechu, I would ask if we can see the photos of the party. Didn't my cousin Donna, who's also a member of this forum, attend? She lives in Stafford, Virginia.
Terechu, thanks for translating so quickly so that we can all learn about it, too bad there aren't more people to translate. Greetings.
Barbara Alonso Novellino

Post by Barbara Alonso Novellino »

Thank you so much Ron for your posting...

I so wish I could have been there with all of you. My Mother Angelina Montes Alonso is 93 lives with me and can't be left alone for any length of time.

My Dad, Julius Garcia Alonso was born in Asturias in 1905 and came to this Country in 1906 with his Mother Dionisia Alonso Garcia and some of his siblings. His Dad Jose Garcia came here before...he worked and lived in Grasselli until he returned to Spain.

My Maternal Grandparents Adelina and Adelino Montes also came to this Country from Asturias...they settled in Moundsville West Virginia where my Grandfather worked in the Smelter. So, as you can see I am 100% Asturian for which I am very proud.

In 1934 my Mom and Dad married and settled in Brooklyn, New York.
My Dad worked for Consolidated Edison for 42 years...he passed away in January of 1988.

Again, Thank You Ron...hopefully we will be able to see the results.

Barbara Alonso Novellino
----------------------------------------------------------------
Transl. Terechu

Muchísimas gracias, Ron, por el mensaje. Cuánto me hubiera gustado estar allí con todos vosotros! My madre, Angelina Montes Alonso, que tiene 93 años y vive conmigo, no la puedo dejar sola demasiado tiempo.

Mi padre, Julio García Alonso nació en Asturias en 1905 y se vino a este país en 1906 con su madre Dionisia Alonso García y algunos de sus hermanos. Su padre, José García, ya había venido antes...vivió y trabajó en Grasselli hasta que regresó a España.

Mis abuelos maternos, Adelina y Adelino Montes también vinieron a este país procedentes de Asturias...se establecieron en Moundsville, VO, donde mi abuelo trabajó en la fundición. Osea que, como ves, soy asturiana al 100%, de lo cual estoy muy orgullosa.

En 1934 mis padres se casaron y se fueron a vivir a Brooklyn, Nueva York. Mi padre trabajó en la Consolidated Edison durante 42 años ... falleció en enero de 1988.

Gracias de nuevo, Ron... espero poder ver los resultados.
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Today I have received an email from Luis Argeo ,he is back home. He also said that he will post on this form all about his trip , and the people he has talk to in Clarksburg , Spelter , Donora. I for one look forward to his post . Again Luis you have the thanks of tha Asturian community in Spelter, and Clarksburg , at last there stories will be told.

----------------------
Traducido por Leto

Hoy recibí un email de Luis Argeo; está ya de vuelta en casa. También dijo que mandará cosas sobre todo el viaje y la gente con la que ha hablado en Clarksburg, Spelter, Donora. Por primera vez estoy ansioso por este envío. De nuevo Luis, tienes las gracias de la comunidad asturiana de Spelter y Clarksburg; por fin sus historias serán contadas.
Luis Argeo

Post by Luis Argeo »

Hola a todos los miembros de este foro.
Lo primero, quiero dar las gracias a todas las personas que me están ayudando a realizar este documental, y muy especialmente a algunos miembros de esta comunidad.
Ron, Carol, Art, sin vuestra colaboración, nunca hubiera podido realizar el trabajo que hicimos durante esos días en Harrison County y en Donora (PA). De momento, sólo espero que la segunda parte del trabajo, la que haré en Asturias, salga tan bien como la americana. Seguro que sí.
Aún revivo los momentos estelares de nuestro encuentro: Ron haciendo de guía por Annmoore, Pinnick Kinnick Hill, Spelter, Shinnston... la tortilla a la paisana de Norma... Xose escanciando sidra... el encuentro con una treintena de asturians... esa manera de hablar de los güelos y las güelas... la agradable charla con las mujeres de Donora, madre, hija y nieta incluidas...
De verdad, mi semana en West Virginia (incluyendo la incursión en Pensilvania) ha sido una de las mejores experiencias de mi vida. Ya sabéis, a partir de ahora, que en Piedras Blancas tenéis un admirador, un amigo y un anfitrión.
Un saludo,
Luis Argeo

Pd. Sigo creyendo que los Pepperoni Rolls que tenéis en la región son Bollos Preñaos, originales de Asturias. Seguro que algún panadero italiano se apropió de la idea hace años de alguno de vuestros abuelos.

--------------------------

Hello to all the members of this forum.
First of all, I want to thank to all the people who are helping me to make this documentary film, and very specially to some of the members of this community.
Ron, Carol, Art, without your help, it had never been able to make the work that we did during those days in Harrison County and Donora (PA). At present, I only hope that the second part of the work, the one that I will do in Asturias, come out as well as the American. Surely that yes.
I still remind the highlights of our encounter: Ron working as a guide around Annmoore, Pinnick Kinnick Hill, Spelter, Shinnston... Norma’s omelette (a la paisana)... Xose pouring asturian cider... the meeting with some thirty asturians... that way to speak of the güelos and güelas... the pleasant chat with the women in Donora, including mother, daughter and granddaughter...
Beleive me, my week in West Virginia (also the incursion in Pensilvania) has been one of the best experiences of my life. You all already know, from now on, you have an admirer, a friend and a host in Piedras Blancas,
Luis Argeo

PS. I still think that these Pepperoni Rolls you have in the region are Bollos Preñaos, original from Asturias. Surely that some Italian baker took the idea years ago by one of your grandparents.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

It was a fantastic couple of days for me, too. I was surprised by the ease with which many of the participants in Spelter spoke in Castilian (or was it Asturianu?). In both Spelter and Donora I heard some amazing stories.
It was great to finally meet Luis, who is a real charmer. He elicited a lot of Asturian pride from everyone.

Thanks to Ron and Carol for their hard work in setting up the meetings and inviting the participants! Well done!

--------------

Era un par de días fantásticos para mí, también. Estuve sorprendido por la facilidad con la cual muchos de los participantes en Spelter hablaron el castellano (¿o era Asturianu?). Tanto en Spelter como en Donora oí algunas historias asombrosas.
Era estupendo finalmente encontrar a Luis, quien es un verdadero encantador. Él provocó mucho orgullo asturiano de todos.

¡Gracias a Ron y Carol para su brega en organizar las reuniones e invitar a los participantes! ¡Bien hecho!
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Luis has sent several photos to Ron. I've put them in the photo album, but will display them here, too.
------------
Luis le ha enviado algunas fotos a Ron. Las he puesto en el álbum de fotos, pero las pondré aquí también.

Luis Argeo holds the Asturian flag in Ron & Sandra González' home in Shinnston, West Virginia, during the filming of Luis' documentary. And, as we've already said, Sandra fixed a fabulous Asturian meal!
Luis Argeo está teniendo la bandera asturiana en la casa de Ron y Sandra González en Shinnston, Virginia Occidental, durante la rodaje del documental de Luis.

(from left) Josephine Alvarez, Xose Vallina, Luis Argeo, Ron González at Holy Family Catholic Church in Spelter, West Virginia, during the production of Luis' film.
(de la izquierda)Josephine Alvarez, Xose Vallina, Luis Argeo, y Ron González en la Iglesia de la Familia Sagrada de Spelter, Virginia Occidental durante la filmación del film de Luis.

(from left) Art Zoller Wagner and Luis Argeo during filming.
(de la izquierda) Art Zoller Wagner y Luis Argeo durante la obra.

(from left) Art and Ron talk at the filming.
(de la izquierda) Art y Ron charla en la rodaje.
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Thanks for the photos, Art! I always enjoy seeing what forum members are up to and this occasion was very special indeed.

------------------------------------
Gracias por las fotos, Art! Siempre me presta ver qué hacen los miembros de este foro y esta ocasión fue pero que muy especial.
jomaguca

Post by jomaguca »

[Gracias por la fotos,me encantó verlas,aunque son pocas.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Here's one more photo of Luis Argeo interviewing (from left) Josephine Alvarez and Anita Menendez.
Aquí hay una foto más de Luis Argeo entrevistando (de la izquierda) Josephine Alvarez y Anita Menendez en la estación de bomberos de Spelter.
Luis Argeo

Post by Luis Argeo »

hola a todos. me alegra ver estas fotos colgadas en el foro. las imágenes ayudan a conservar los recuerdos de mi viaje a west virginia intactos, frescos. lo único que quiero señalar es que el autor de las fotos es Chuck Kleine, el técnico de sonido de la WVPBS TV que participó en la grabación del documental.

Aprovecho también el momento para anunciar que la parte asturiana del documental la empiezo a grabar el próximo lunes 16 de enero. Y animo a participar a cualquier persona que quiera contar la historia de sus familiares o vecinos que hayan emigrado a EEUU para trabajar desde los concejos de Castrillón, Illas, Avilés, Luanco... El próximo lunes 16, a las 18.30 h, nos reuniremos en el local que la Asociación de Vecinos de Sta. María del Mar tiene en el barrio de Las Chavolas, en la carretera que va de Piedras Blancas a Sta María del Mar. Haremos una reunión parecida a la que hicimos en Spelter.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

hello everybody.
It is funny to see these photos hung in the forum. The images help to conserve the memories of my trip to West Virginia intact, fresh. The only thing that I want to indicate is that the author of the photos is Chuck Kleine, the soundman from the WVPBS TV who participated in the recording of the documentary film

I also want to announce that the Asturian part of the documentary film begins to be recorded next Monday 16 of January. And I invite to participate to any person who want to count the history of the relatives or neighbors who have emigrated to the U.S.A. to work from the counties of Castrillón, Illas, Avilés, Luanco... Next Monday 16, 18,30 pm, we will meet in the house that the Association of Neighbors of Sta. Maria del Mar has in Las Chavolas, on the road that goes from Piedras Blancas to Sta Maria del Mar. We will celebrate a meeting quite similar to that in Spelter.
Last edited by Luis Argeo on Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Oops.... I've fixed the copyrights. Thanks for letting me know, Luis.
-----------
Uy.... He arreglado los derechos de reproducción. Gracias para decirmelo, Luis.

Return to “Events - Acontecimientos”