Who is in the header photo? - Quiénes son en la foto arriba

Discussion of photos in the AsturianUS.org photo album pages.<br>
Discusión de fotos en las páginas del álbum de fotos de AsturianUS.org.

Moderator: Moderators

Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Art, Arroyo and Arrojo are not the same thing. Arroyo is a creek and "arrojo" is courage or daring. In Asturias the surname Arrojo is more frequent, there is a famous bus company called El Arrojo, belonging to a family by that name.

-----------------------
Traducido por Leto

Art, Arroyo y Arrojo no son lo mismo. arroyo es un riachuelo y arrojo es coraje o osadía. En Asturias el apellido arrojo es más frecuente; hay una compañía de autobús que se llama El Arrojo, que pertenece a una familia que lleva ese nombre.
Ron Gonzalez

To Art

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

It is interesting that there are so many way's to spell a name. I know that name's were changed at Ellis Island,whatever the name sounded like that the way it was spelled. In may grandmother case it was alway's spelled Arrojo.I guess it's like my name a lot of people spell it Gonzales, I quickly tell them "that a Z not S"

----------------------
Traducido por Leto

Es interesante que haya tantas formas de deletrear un nombre. Se que algunos nombres se cambiaron en Ellis Iland, tal y como sonaba el nombre, así fue escrito. En el caso de mi abuela, siempre se escribió Arrojo. Supongo que es como mi nombre, que mucha gente lo deletrea Gonzáles, y rápido les digo que “es con Z no con S”
Mafalda

Post by Mafalda »

¡Hola a todos! ¿Alguien podria darme algun dato mas acerca de la 3ª mujer por la izquierda?, en algun sitio he visto que la llamaban "La Zapatera", ¿Os parece que guarda algun parecido con esta otra?
...o son obsesiones mias "parecidos razonables"

-------------
trans. Art

Hello to everyone! Could anyone tell me any information about the the third woman from the left? On a website I visited called "La Zapatera" [there is another image]. Does it seem to you that she has some resemblance with this other woman?
Or is this just my own obsession with "reasonable likenesses"?
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Hola, Mafalda. La tercera mujer por la izquerida (la sexta persona) era mi abuela, Aurora Menéndez Conde. La foto que mostraste no me parece muy similar, especialmente comparandolo a otras fotos de ella. ¡Lo siento!

¿Cuál es la página que tiene estas fotos?

----------

Hi, Mafalda. The third woman from the left (the sixth person) was my grandmother, Aurora Menéndez Conde. The photo you showed doesn't remind me very much of her, especially considering other photos of her. Sorry!

What web page has these photos?
Mafalda

Post by Mafalda »

No, no, Art, yo me referia a esta mujer, la que esta sentada delante de Ida Vazquez.

La foto es mia, es mi bisabuela, y ella nunca estuvo en USA, asi es que se que NO son la misma persona, sin embargo, yo pienso que se parecen, y sobretodo, tienen el mismo apodo, "La Zapatera", por eso pido si alguien me puede dar mas datos de ella.

Gracias.

----------------
trans. Art

No, no, Art, I was referring to this woman, the one seated in front of Ida Vazquez.

The photo is mine. It's my great-grandmother, and she never was in the USA. So that's right, I know, that they aren't the same person, however, I think they look similar and above all, they have the same nickname, "La Zapatera". For this reason, I asked if anyone could give me more information about her.

Thanks.

Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Ay, ya lo entiendo. No es la primera vez que hemos tenido problemas en entender del cual person estabamos hablando.

He pedido a Ron González o Suronda González que reponden porque es su pariente.

---------------

Ah, I get it. This isn't the first time we've had trouble figuring out which people we were talking about in photos!

I've asked Suronda Gonzalez or Ron Gonzalez to respond, as this is their relative.
Suronda
Co-Founder

La Zapatera

Post by Suronda »

Hello Mafalda,

I think your photo does look like the one of "La Zapatera." I don't know much about her since she was not a relative, but a friend of the family. She lived in Canton, OH and then picture was taken when my grandmother, and great grandmother were visiting there.

The photo that you posted: Who is she? Did you ever have family in Ohio?

Perhaps my father has more information. Let's wait for his response.

----------------------
Traducido por Leto

Hola Mafalda,

Creo que tu foto se parece a una de “La Zapatera”. No se mucho sobre ella puesto que no era familia, sólo amiga de la familia. Vivía en Canton, OH y la foto fue tomada cuando mi abuela y mi bisabuela estuvieron de visita allí.

La foto que has enviado: ¿quién es? ¿estuvo alguien de tu familia en Ohio?

Igual mi padre tiene más información.
Esperemos a que conteste.
Ron Gonzalez

Who Is In The Header Photo

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Mafalda
I called my cousin Canton, Ohio (she would be the little girl to the left in the header photo) she told me that her husband's name was Bruno Lopez. She could not remember "La Zapatera's" first name, but said that her grandson, as well as a granddaughter, own property in Asturias - don't know in what town. She also said that she can remember that she had two daughters, Anita and Mary, who still live in Canton. Mary is 95 years old. I hope that is of some help to you.

By the way my wife had Empanada and Pote Asturiano for Luis , if you see him you could ask him if it was good, the Empanada was tuna fish.

----------------------
Traducido por Leto

Mafalda,

Llame a mi prima a Canton, Ohio (ella es la niña pequeña de la izquierda en la foto de la cabecera); me dijo que el nombre de su marido era Bruno López. No se acordaba del nombre de “La Zapatera”, pero dijo que su nieto, igual que su nieta, tienen propiedades en Asturias -no sé en qué ciudad. También me dijo que se acuerda de que tiene dos hijas, Anita y Mary, que todavía viven en Canton. Mary tiene 95 años. Espero que te sirva de ayuda.

Por cierto, mi mujer hizo empanada y pote asturiano para Luis; si le ves podrías preguntarle si era bueno... la empanada era de atún.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Ron has continued this discussion of empanadas here:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1169

-------------

Ron ha continuado esta charla sobre empanadas aquí:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1169
Mafalda

Post by Mafalda »

Gracias a todos por vuestro interés.

Contestando a Suronda, la mujer de mi foto es mi bisabuela; ya expliqué en otro post anterior que se que no son la misma persona, porque ella nunca estuvo en USA, pero se me parecen, y se apodan igual, asi que pueden tener algun parentesco, primas, hermanas...., si supiera los apellidos quizas podria investigar

Se que debo tener mucha familia en USA, no familia cercana, como ya dije en mi presentación. En mi familia, emigraron a USA, unos 10 o 12 tios abuelos, que supongo que habrán tenido descendencia; de algunos tenemos noticias, aun mantienen el contacto, pero de otros, no tenemos ni idea.

----------------------
Translated by Leto

Thanks for all your interest.

Answering Suronda The woman in my photo is my great-grandma; I’ve already explained in a previous post that I know they are not the same person, because she was never in USA, but they look similar to me, and they have the same nickname, so they could be relatives, cousins, sisters… if I could get the surnames perhaps I could do some research.

I know I might have lots of family in USA, not close relatives, as I explained in my presentation. From my family, around 10 or 12 great-uncles migrated to USA; I guess they had descendents; when know about some of them, they are still in touch, but we know nothing about others.

Return to “Our Photo Album - Nuestro álbum de fotos”