13 miners trapped underground in West Virginia on Monday

Happenings of interest to forum participants.<br>
Sucesos de interés a foreros.

Moderator: Moderators

JoAnne

13 miners trapped underground in West Virginia on Monday

Post by JoAnne »

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story.a ... eid=google

If you search the Internet with the words "13 miners West Virginia," you will find news reports about the 13 miners who were trapped deep underground on Monday, Jan. 2, 2006 in West Virginia. They are still trying to rescue them, but they have had no communication from them since the blast which trapped them underground.

Since Asturias is mining country, I thought you might like to follow the story. I hope that they get them out, but from what I've read, it doesn't look too promising. JoAnne
Barbara Alonso Novellino

Post by Barbara Alonso Novellino »

The news coming out of West Virginia is not good. They are trying everything possible to get these miners out.

It brings to my mind a very sad event in my family...I don't remember the year, but I was very young. My Godmother's husband was lost in a mine in Powhatan, Ohio along with 13 other miners. It was a frightening and then sorrowful time for my family.

I pray that they are able to free these men...

Barbara
Bob

Post by Bob »

It not only doesn't look promising, but the mine has a history of literally hundreds of safety violations with no significant government action.

My non-Asturian grandfather had to go to work in the coal mines of Pennsylvania when he was 12 because his father had been murdered for his pay and left along a railroad track. He was the oldest kid, and had to support the family. When I think of his life and that of my Asturian grandfather, I have to conclude that they were very strong people just to have survived and eventually made comfortable lives for themselves and their families.
Last edited by Bob on Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Belarmu

Post by Belarmu »

Los asturianos tamos condergaos a pagar tributu a la mina.
Na mio familia toós son o foron mineros (incluso dalgunes muyeres trabayaron de carboneres). Tuviemos la suerte de que nengún miembru morriere dientru la mina, pero munchos morrieron por esa enfermedá, esa gafura que te taraza los pulmones selemente incluso dempués de dexar la mina. La Terrible Silicosis. Los mios güelos morrieron afogaos de silicosis enantes de que yo naciera.
La vida del mineru ye dura, mui dura, por munches perres que saquen nunca va tar bien pagada.
La mio solidaridá pa esos mineros empozaos, atrapaos en Virginia.
Si por dalgo nos distinguimos hestóricamente los mineros y los sos familiares ye tamién pola solidaridá qu'esiste ente nós.
Recomiendovos escuchar el cantar "la Balada del mineru" de Michael Lee Wolf, un Astur-Americanu afincau dende munchos años n'Asturies.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Belarmu, you're right. The biggest risk in mining isn't being trapped below ground, but in the medical conditions that result from breathing in the dust produced by mining. For coal mines, that's what we call "black lung disease" here in los EEUU. It is indeed a hard way to make a living. Every time someone goes into a mine to work, he trades a little of his life for wages.

Of course, as you have pointed out, there is a sense of unity among miners. Rescue teams from Pennsylvania and Illinois have joined those from West Virignia, where the miners are trapped deep below ground.
JoAnne

October Sky

Post by JoAnne »

Belarmu recommended a song about miners by an Asturian-American. I'd love to hear it, but don't know how to access it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'd like to recommend an uplifting (literally) movie based on a true story of a miner's son in WV. It's called October Sky, and much of the story revolves around the tension between the father, who sees mining as honest and meaningful work, and his son, who has seen the effects of Black Lung Disease and doesn't want to work in the mines. I just saw it recently and found it to be a wonderfully uplifting movie without being superficial, although of course some story elements reflected the exigencies of Hollywood (a romance, etc.)

If you can't find it in Asturias, you may be able to read a summary of the story on the Internet. The movie was based on an autobiography written by the protagonist. JoAnne

-----------------------
Me gustaria oir la cancion que mencionó Belarnu. ¿Como puedo encontrarla?

Quería recomendar la pelicula October Sky, que trata de la juventud de un hombre en West Virginia. El joven no quería hacerse minero, pero su padre sí se lo quería hacer. La historia esta basada en la verdadera vida de ese joven, aunque se encuentre rasgos de Hollywood en la película (como un amor, etc.) JoAnne
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

The Sago mine where this disaster occurred is south of Buckhannon and only about 40 miles south and east of Clarksburg, WV, where many of our grandparents lived. So it's possible, although not likely, that some of the miners have Asturian roots.

--------------------

La mina en Sago donde este desastre ocurrió está al sur de Buckhannon y sólo aproximadamente 40 millas y al este y sur de Clarksburg, WV, donde muchos de nuestros abuelos vivieron. Entonces es posible, aunque no es probable, que algunos mineros tengan raíces asturianas.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Esta noticia apareció hace poco en el diario La Voz de Asturias:

"La minería celebra su fiesta patronal
El embajador checo honra a los mineros fallecidos en Nicolasa

Martin Kosatka apela a la memoria "para que la tragedia no caiga en el olvido". El diplomático participó en un encuentro con compatriotas.

JAVIER IGLESIAS 05/12/2005

El embajador de la República Checa, Martin Kosatka, participó en los actos celebrados ayer en Mieres en honor de la patrona minera de Santa Bárbara. Las celebraciones estuvieron marcadas por el recuerdo de la tragedia de Nicolasa, ocurrida hace diez años.

Tras una recepción oficial en la casa consistorial el embajador acudió, acompañado por el alcalde de Mieres Luis María García, el consejero comercial y el cónsul honorario de la República Checa en Asturias, al Monumento al Minero situado en el campus de Barrero para realizar una ofrenda floral. El acto fue acompañado por una nutrida representación municipal.

Durante el homenaje Kosatka tuvo palabra de recuerdo para los cuatro mineros checos fallecidos en Nicolasa hace diez años. El embajador apeló a la memoria de todos "para que una tragedia como esta no caiga en el olvido". Kosatka también manifestó que "la gente que no vive en zonas mineras no piensa en estas cosas, pero el recuerdo está vivo para muchos de mis compatriotas". El diplomático checo valoró "el duro trabajo del minero en cualquier lugar del mundo". Para la delegación checa que se desplazó ayer a Mieres "era una obligación estar presentes en esta jornada tan importante". La visita estrechó aún más los lazos entre ambas comunidades, unidas por la mina.

Tras el homenaje la comitiva visitó la Casa Duró para ver la exposición organizada por la asociación Santa Bárbara de Mieres, compuesta por la muestra pictórica Traigo la camisa roja de Toni Vila y la colección de miniaturas de vehículos de transporte. Tras esta visita, el embajador acudió al parque Jovellanos donde mantuvieron un encuentro con los miembros de la comunidad checa residentes en las cuencas. Durante este encuentro Kosatka prefirió no hacer ninguna intervención y hablar personalmente con sus compatriotas. La jornada festiva en honor a la patrona se cerró con el festival de tonada de la Asociación Santa Bárbara en el propio parque."

La noticia se refiere a un accidente ocurrido hace 10 años en el Pozu Nicolasa, en el que hubo desgraciadamente que lamentar varios muertos. Desde que los "Países del Este" dejaron de ser comunistas, la situación económica no es precisamente buena, y muchos trabajadores rusos, polacos, ucranianos, etc., emigraron hacia Europa occidental. Este post viene a propósito de solidaridades entre mineros, pues el caso es que las autoridades checas no pusieron los medios para repatriar los cadáveres de sus compatriotas. La mayoría de los fallecidos fueron asturianos, pero, en un gesto de solidaridad típico, los compañeros supervivientes costearon de su bolsillo los gastos de repatriación que los familiares no podían pagar desde la República Checa, dado su bajo nivel de vida. Es uno de esos ejemplos donde las penalidades comunes de la mina hace que no se tengan en cuenta los diferentes orígenes, ya que el sufrimiento iguala a las personas.
Barbara Alonso Novellino

Post by Barbara Alonso Novellino »

I just turned on the TV and found out that the miners were all lost except for one who was taken to the Hospital... Unfortunately the first news was that they were all saved...can you imagine the horror when the families found out this wasn't true.

All my prayers and thoughts go out to the Families and Friends of these 12 miners.

Barbara
Bob

Post by Bob »

My first reaction is that a statement that the rescue team was "assessing the medical condition" of the people they found implies (especially to waiting families) that they are alive. In fairness, the rescuers were over two miles (3.2 kilometers) into a dangerous mine filled with CO and methane (which probably caused the explosion) and fraught with the possibility of explosion or collapse, and were doing the best they could. An inexact statement is certainly understandable under the circumstances, especially because the rescuers WANT to find live miners, not dead ones. Personally, I wouldn't give up on any of them until it was clear beyond a shadow of a doubt that they were dead. That's not a decision that would be easy to make with certitude in the bowels of the earth.

The classic cherry red color, often cited as a symptom of carbon monoxide poisoning, is actually relatively rare.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Those interested in learning more about American mine safety standards and safety and fatality data can find the information at:

http://www.msha.gov in English

http://w4.systranlinks.com/trans?lp=en_ ... w.msha.gov Castellano
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

I haven't logged in in the last few days - had a houseful of people plus my grandson over the holidays - but the WV mining disaster was in the news and in every newspaper.
I do feel very close to the mining communities all over the world and every miner killed anywhere is like an Asturian miner to me. My sincere condolences to all the victims' families. Dying in the pit, while trying to earn your living and raise a family is one of those tragedies that make other accidental deaths appear insignificant by comparison.
---------------------------------------------------------
Hace unos días que no entraba en el foro - tuvo la casa llena de gente los días de fiesta y todavía queda mi nieto - pero la catástrofe minera de Virginia Occidental salió en todos los canales de noticias y en todos los periódicos.
Siento una gran afinidad con las comunidades mineras de todo el mundo y cada minero muerto en cualquier parte para mí es como si muriera un minero asturiano.
Mi más sentido pésame a las familias de las víctimas. Morir en la mina mientras intentas ganarte el pan y criar a tus hijos es una tragedia que hace otras muertes accidentales parecer insignificantes en comparación.
jomaguca

Post by jomaguca »

[Mi más sentido pésame a los familiares de las víctimas ,es una pena qué tragedias como ésta se repitan a menudo en las minas de todo el mundo, muchas veces producidas por falta de seguridad en las minas y no cumplir con las mínimas medidas de seguridad,solo por no invertir un poco más y pensar en los mineros qué cada día tienen qué jugarse la vida ,para llevar el pan a casa.
Anastasia

Post by Anastasia »

Terechu wrote:mi nieto

Return to “Events - Acontecimientos”