Asturian & Spanish population of Clarksburg & West V

> Formal: construction, farming, manufacturing, mining, small businesses, smelting, etc. > Informal: blackberry picking, boarding houses, bootlegging, clothes washing, sausage making.<br>
> Formal: construcción, agricultura, fabricación, minería, pequeñas empresas, fundición, etc. > Informal: cosecha de moras, pensiones, contrabandista, colada, embutimiento.

Moderators: Maria Garcia Alvarez, JuanLeon, Moderators

Art
Site Admin

Asturian & Spanish population of Clarksburg & West V

Post by Art »

I've done some searching and found a little info on the population of Spaniards and Asturians in West Virginia in the early 1900s.

First, be sure to look at the data here, mostly for coal miners:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=330

Second, I've found a little data in Suronda's preface to the book Pinnick Kinnick Hill. This deals mostly with Asturians and Spaniards working in the zinc factory near Clarkburg, WV (en Anmoore).
Pinnick Kinnick Hill on Amazon
Suronda González (Preface to Kinnick Pinnick Hill, page xiii English, page xii Castellano) wrote:According to the 1910 census, 464 Spanish men, many of whom had worked in zinc factories in the province of Asturias, came to the state to work in Clarksburg's expanding zinc industry [Art: the factory at Anmoore]. As word spread abut the jobs and opportunities in West Virginia, many more Spaniards emigrated. From 1910 to 1920, the Spanish population of West Virginia more than tripled to 1,543. The growth of West Virginia's Spanish population, expanding at nearly twice the national rate, led to the establishment of a Spanish Vice Consulate in Clarksburg by the 1920s.
I don't know when the peak of immigration was. It may have been about 1920 because I think the emigration laws changed soon after that.

-------------------

He sido en busca de información sobre la población de españoles y asturianos en Virginia Occidental a principios de los años 1900.

Primero, estés seguro mirar los datos aquí, datos que son sobre todo para mineros de carbón:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=330

Segundo, he encontrado unos datos en el prólogoo de Suronda en el libro Las colinas sueñan en español (Pinnick Kinnick Hill). Esto está relacionado sobre todo con los asturianos y españoles que trabajaron en la fábrica de zinc cerca de Clarkburg, WV (en Anmoore).
Pinnick Kinnick Hill en Amazon
Suronda González (Prólogo a Las colinas sueñan en español, Kinnick Pinnick Hill, página xii Castellano, trans. María Isabel Charle) wrote:Según el censo de 1910, 464 españoles vivían en el estado, 85% de ellos en el Condado de Harrison. Los hombres españoles, muchos de cuales habían trabajado en las fábricas de zinc de la región de Asturias, vinieron al estado para trabajar en la creciente industria del zinc en Clarksburg [Art: la fábrica en Anmoore]. Al correrse la voz sobre le trabajo y oportunidades en Virginia Occidental, emigaron muchos más españoles. De 1910 a 1920, la población española de Virginia Occidental llegó a más que triplicarse, con 1,543 habitantes. El crecimiento de la población española en Virginia Occidental, casi dos veces más rápido que el del resto del país, dio lugar al establecimiento de un Viceconsulado español en Clarksburg en los años 20.
No sé cuando alcanzó su punto álgido la inmigración. Puede haber sido alrededor de 1920 porque pienso que las leyes de emigración cambiaron poco después de esta año.
Last edited by Art on Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Gonzalez

Asturian & Spanish Population Of Clarksburg & West V

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

From Suronda thesis (Talking Like My Grandmother) , in 1910 there were 399 spaniards in Harrison County . In 1920 it was 1015 , from the census data 1850 to 1920 there were 1540 spaniards in the state of West Virginia
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

That's interesting. Since these sets of data both come from Suronda, maybe she can explain the differences.

---------------

Esto es interesante. Ya que estos colecciones de datos ambos pertenecen a Suronda, tal vez ella pueda explicar las diferencias.
Suronda
Co-Founder

Post by Suronda »

The confusion seems to be between numbers in West Virginia and numbers in Harrison County. My father has them listed correctly above. If you look at it, you can see that the overwhemling majority of Spaniards in the state were located in Harrison County. My assumption is that the overwhelming majority of these were engaged in zinc smelting. Does this lessen the confusion any?

Return to “Work & Industry - Trabajo e industria”