Amigas de Oliva González, Moundsville WV

Discussion of photos in the AsturianUS.org photo album pages.<br>
Discusión de fotos en las páginas del álbum de fotos de AsturianUS.org.

Moderator: Moderators

Mafalda

Amigas de Oliva González, Moundsville WV

Post by Mafalda »

He encontrado esta foto de Oliva, con mas gente, a los cuales no conocemos, Oliva (La Nisa) vivia en Moundsville, con su marido José Menendez (de los de José Fernandin), tienen un hijo llamado Fernando.

Pongo los apodos, porque supongo que al ser una colonia tan extensa, procedentes la mayoria de la misma zona, conservarian ahí los mismos apodos que tenian en Asturias ¿....?

La fecha no sabria decirla, la foto no esta datada ni tiene ninguna dedicatoria, calculando por la edad de Oliva, quizas finales de los 40, principios de los 50....Oliva es la que esta sentada a la mesa con un vaso en cada mano.

Espero que alguien reconozca a alguna de las otras mujeres, y a la niña.

-----------------
trans. Art

I have found this photo of Oliva, with other people who we don't know, Oliva (The Nisa) lived in Moundsville, with her husband Jose Menéndez (son of José Fernandin), and had a son named Fernando.

I put the nicknames, because I suppect that, being such an extensive colony, the majority of them coming from the same area, they would keep the same nicknames that they had in Asturias, right?

I don't have the foggiest idea about the date of the photo. The photo isn't dated and doesn't have a dedication. Given the age of Oliva, it's probably from the late 1940s or the early 1950s. Oliva is the one sitting at the table with a glass in both hands.

I hope that someone recognizes some of other women and the girl [and the man]
Barbara Alonso Novellino

Post by Barbara Alonso Novellino »

Hi,

I looked at the picture and showed it to my Mother. My Mother is now 93 and her memory isn't as good as it used to be.

Although she does recognize Oliva and says that some of the others look familiar to her. I was a small child in Moundsville and I too recognize Oliva and one other woman...but I don't recall her name.

I e-mailed the picture to a cousin of mine who still lives in Moundsville to see what she remembers, if anything...she has lived her entire life in Moundsville and her Grandmother and Grandfather owned a home down there on the Spanish Farm.

I will let you know whatever I find out...

Barbara

---------------------
trans. Art

Hola,

Miré la foto y lo mostré a mi madre. Mi madre tiene ahora años 93 y su memoria no está tan buena como estaba.

Aunque ella reconozca a Oliva y diga que algunos de los demás le parecen familiares [conocidos, no es que son de la familia de Oliva]. Yo era un niña pequeña [cuando vivía] en Moundsville y también reconozco a Oliva y una otra mujer ... pero no recuerdo su nombre.

Envié la foto por correo electrónico a una prima mía que todavía vive en Moundsville para ver lo que ella recuerda, si [recuerda] algo ... ella ha vivido su vida entera en Moundsville y su abuela y abuelo poseyera una casa allí por la "granja española".

Te diré lo que averiguo...

Barbara
Barbara Alonso Novellino

Hi,

I just heard from my cousin in Moundsville...she told me the following:

Barbara, My Mom said that the lady that is sitting down with gray hair is Oliva Menendez and the woman behind her at the end is Anita a neighbor of Olivas. Your Mom might know Anita's sister Felicia. We don't know the last names. Mom said the other people are probably cousins of theirs or friends. She said they could even be from Clarksburg.......

Sorry but my Mother doesn't remember...she only recognized Oiva and. as I told you, I also recognized Anita...

Barbara
Barbara Alonso Novellino

My cousin found this picture in his photo album.

Its a picture of the houses in what was called The Spanish Farm in Moundsville, West Virginia...they were houses built by the Smelter and rented to those who worked there.

My Grandparents lived in the second house...as you can imagine they look very different today.

I am not sure when this picture was taken...

Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

I've added Barbara's photo above and to our photo album:
http://www.asturianus.org/album/america ... hotos.html

---------------

He añadido la foto de Barbara aquí arriba y al álbum de fotos:
http://www.asturianus.org/album/america ... hotos.html
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Barbara has written a very interesting description of The Farm here:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtop ... =6321#6321

-------------------

Barbara ha escrito una descripción interesante de La Farma aquí:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtop ... =6321#6321
Leto
Translator

Post by Leto »

And it just has been translated it :wink:

-----------------

Y acaba de ser traducida :wink:
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Thanks, Leto!
-------------
¡Munches gracies, Leto!
Leto
Translator

Post by Leto »

:wink:
bobV

Olivia

Post by bobV »

I recognize Olivia. She and Pepe lived in an apartment on Seventh Street a few doors up from my father's (Frank Vasquez) barber shop. I remember once visiting Oliva and Pepe with my mother. For some reason I pressed my face into my mother's lap and stuck a knitting needle close to my eye. Olivia removed it safely. Pepe was a good friend of my father and was their son (can't remember his name). bobV
Anuska

Post by Anuska »

Hola a todos:

Una pregunta para Mafalda: ¿De dónde era Oliva? Me llama la atención el apodo "Nisa", ya que a la madre de una amiga, nacida en Arnao, también la conocen por ese apodo.

------------------------------------------------

Hi everybody,

A question for Mafalda: Where did Oliva come from? The nickname "Nisa" has surprised me, as my friend's mother (who was born in Arnao) is also known by the same nickame.
Mafalda

Post by Mafalda »

Si Ana, Oliva nació en Arnao en el año 1900, era la menor de 9 hermanos, de los que 4 emigraron a USA y los otros 5 vivieron en Arnao. Seguro que la madre de tu amiga es sobrina de Oliva.

-------------------------------------------------------
Translated by Bob

Yes Ana, Oliva was born in Arnao in 1900, and was the youngest of 9 sibs, of which 4 emigrated to the US and the other 5 lived in Arnao. Surely the mother is the niece of Oliva.
"Comienza tu día con una sonrisa, verás lo divertido que es ir por ahí desentonando con todo el mundo."
Mi amiguita Libertad ________Image
Anuska

Post by Anuska »

Hola a todos.

Queda confirmado. La madre de mi amiga es sobrina de Oliva.

Saludos a todos.

--------------------------------------------------

Hi everybody!

I can confirm that my friend's mother is Oliva's niece.

Best regards,

Ana
Mafalda

Post by Mafalda »

¡Hola Ana! ¿me dices como se llama tu amiga? :shock: :lol:
"Comienza tu día con una sonrisa, verás lo divertido que es ir por ahí desentonando con todo el mundo."
Mi amiguita Libertad ________Image
Anuska

Post by Anuska »

¡Hola Mafalda!

Se llama Mónica. Nos conocimos hace 3 años en la EOI. Una tía maja, maja, de esas personas que te impactan y te enganchan. ¡Una maravilla!

He estado hablando con ella de la página y el foro. En breves podré darte más datos y noticias. Voy a quedar con ella y, no tardando mucho, espero que sea ella misma la que participe.

Saludinos,

Ana

Return to “Our Photo Album - Nuestro álbum de fotos”