New asturian inmigration to the US ?

Announcing, planning for, & reviewing the conferences about the Asturian-American emigrant experience, cultural heritage, & Asturian-American identity.<br>
Anunciar, planear, y resumir las conferencias sobre la experiencia de los emigrantes astur-americanos, la herencia cultural, y identidad astur-americano.

Moderators: Trabanco, Moderators

ayalgueru

New asturian inmigration to the US ?

Post by ayalgueru »

I randomly came across this and tho you would probably know .. well if you did not you might be interested

http://www.asturnews.com/index.php?idn=2668

regards
splish-splash
the cat washes in the river...
spring rain
Isaa Kobayashi (1816)
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

14/03/2006 AsturNews, Diariu cultural asturianu
Los asturianos emigraos nos Estaos Uníos creen una asociación

http://www.asturnews.com/index.php?idn=2668

Surdida al rau d'iniciatives asemeyaes como ASMA y Asturianus.org, el colectivu ASUSA, quier fomentar la unión de los nuevos emigrantes y la cultura del país

Redacción

Un grupu d'emigrantes asturianos nos Estaos Uníos trabaya anguaño por xuntar nun mesmu colectivu a los sos compatriotes residentes nel país norteamericanu a semeyanza de dellos ya esistentes n'otros destinos de la nueva marea migratoria de la nuestra tierra, xeneralmente formada por xente mozo y bien capacitao profesionalmente. El fomentu de la unión ente los asturianos y de la cultura del país nos USA son oxetivos d'esta asociación.

La puesta en marcha d'una páxina web que valga de puntu d'alcuentru virtual ente los nuevos emigrantes y l'entamu d'actividaes relacionaes cola herencia asturiana nos Estaos Uníos y la cultura actual de la nación d'orixen son dellos de los oxetivos más inmediatos del colectivu ASUSA. L'asocación tamién quier sensibilizar a les instituciones del Principáu énte la realidá que representen los nuevos emigrantes asturianos nos Estaos Uníos y les estremaes posibilidaes de desenvolver colaboraciones de beneficiu mutuu ente ellos y la so tierra.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Thanks, Ayalgueru!

No, I hadn't seen that. But I'm also clueless as to who ASUSA is and our supposedly working together on his project! Oh, boy. Kind of embarrassing.

Ayalgueru, could you email me a translation of that article (into English) so I could add it to the message? I'd like to sure I understand it, too.

--------------------------

¡Gracias, Ayalgueru!

No, no lo había visto. ¡Pero soy sin pistas también en cuanto a quién es ASUSA y en cuanto supuestamente estamos trabajando juntos en esto proyecto! Vaya. Me lo encuentro un poco embarazoso.

¿Ayalgueru, podrías enviarme por correo electrónico una traducción de aquel artículo (en inglés) para que yo podría añadirlo al mensaje? Me gustaría asegurarme que lo entiendo, también.
ayalgueru

translation

Post by ayalgueru »

need an asturian to english translator ;) ? the original text was a bit convoluted I hope this makes a little bit of sense :)

---------

Asturian inmigrants to the US create a new association

Following other iniciatives such as ASMA (asturians in Madrid) and Asturianus.org this new group of people would like to strenght links between new inmigrants and the culture of the country they have left behind.

A group of asturian inmigrants to the US is now working building up an association that brings together asturian inmigrants in the US. They are following example already set up by many others on this new wave of asturian inmigration. Most asturians emigrating this days tend to have a similar profile , most of them being young and high skilled. The declared aim of this new association is to bring the asturian community together and spread asturian culture in the US.

As part of their short term declared objectives it is the setting up of a web page that would serve as a virtual meeting point to asturians in the us and the organization of asturian cultural events. This new association would also like to forge links with Asturian government agencies and together with them exploring ways of creating relationships to the mutual benefit of both parts.

----

just an idea ,, may be you can get contact details from this people from the asturnews.com team

http://www.asturnews.com/ , just click on "contacte con nos" to be found at the very bottom on the main page. A pop up window will appear.

Saludinos
splish-splash
the cat washes in the river...
spring rain
Isaa Kobayashi (1816)
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Thanks, Ayalgueru. Yeah, I could get the gist of the article, but the details escaped me. At least I know now that it's not an article about something we're supposedly doing!

Also, that was a good idea about contacting AsturNews. I took your suggestion and wrote to them.

----------------------------------

Gracias, Ayalgueru. Claro, pude comprender lo esencial del artículo, pero los detalles me escapó. Al menos ahora sé que no es un artículo sobre algo que supuestamente estamos haciendo.

También, tienes una buena idea sobre contactar AsturNews. Les escribé como sugieres.
Trabanco
Section Leader

ASUSA

Post by Trabanco »

News really travel fast!! I was going to let you all know about this initiative today, thinking it is going to be a big surprise, and I am the one who is very surprised to see it on the news.

ASUSA (Asturianos en USA) was formed two days ago (hence my surprise to see it in the news) by a group of Asturians (Santiago G. Castañón, myself and a few others) who moved to the US in recent years. We are very proud of the Asturian American heritage in the US, but our experience living in this country as Asturian immigrants differs considerably from previous immigration waves in the past. The newest generation of Asturian immigration is for the most part well prepared, professional and educated in both languages. We are scattered around the US and we are able to come back to Asturias quite often.

We are part of a broader phenomenon in which many young, well prepared Asturians are forced to leave their "tierrina" in search of a job that fits their skills. Some politicians (the President of Asturias one of them) deny this exodus, and they refer to us as "leyendas urbanas" ("urban leyends") as if we didn't exist. Others say that we are not immigrants, but part of a global society in which moving from one place, one country, one continent to another is just a sign of a new society.

Well, we still consider ourselves immigrants, we might be a long way from the old Asturians who came to this land over a century ago, we are definitely more privileged than they were, we probably don't go through the same hardships that they went through, but that doesn't make us invisible. We are here because in a way we have (had) no choice. We all tried to stay in Asturias, but were forced to come here looking for a better education, a better job. We love the US, the country that gave us a lot, the country were we live and were our sons are born, but boy, we are part of Asturias and we miss it dearly, just like the old Asturians who came here did a 100 years ago.

I invite you to read a brief description of what ASUSA is at:

http://www.asturianos.as/
(look for the ASUSA logo on the right)

As you can see we are inspired by the AsturianUS and ASMA models. From AsturianUS we get the strenght of the asturian heritage in the US, an on-line forum model that effectively reconnects the Asturian American community and makes communication a working fact. From ASMA we get the energy of younger Asturians just like us, with a very similar background and situation.

Creating and joining ASUSA does not mean a break with any other Asturian oriented organization, on the contrary. Therefore, we ask that you help us spread the voice and let anyone interested know about ASUSA.

Para información sobre ASUSA (Asturianos en USA), por favor visitad:

http://www.asturianos.as/

(el logo de ASUSA está en la derecha)

La información está en español

Alberto Prieto Calixto
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Wow, that is fast! Thanks, Trabanco, for the very eloquent description of your purpose and ASUSA's political context.

---------------------------------

¡Vaya, eso es rapidísimo! Gracias, Trabanco, para esa descripcióntan elocuente de las intenciones y el contexto político de ASUSA.
Chris
Translator

Post by Chris »

That very interesting. but what they want to make a forun like this one if this forum exist already?
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Trabanco says that most ASUSA members are also avid readers and participants in AsturianUS, so they are overlapping organizations.

Trabanco also wrote to me, "One of ASUSA's founding goals is to collaborate with other organizations that promote Asturias in the US, specifically mentioning AsturianUS.org. Most ASUSA members are recent comers to the US, professionals or academics, the majority of them return regularly to Asturias; most of them still consider themselves 100% asturianos. On the other hand, AsturianUS gets more of the older traditional emigration focusing more on the Asturian American heritage but that's about it in terms of differences. Apart from that, we are pretty much the same."

Of course, a key difference is that AsturianUS.org is not united in its political stance, but ASUSA is.

Please see this message, too:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtop ... =8565#8565

------------------

Trabanco dice que la mayoría de los miembros de ASUSA son también lectores y participantes ávidos en AsturianUS, así que están organizaciones traslapandas.

Trabanco también me escribió, "Una de las metas de fundación de ASUSA es colaborar con otras organizaciones que promueven a Asturias en los EE.UU., mencionando específicamente AsturianUS.org. La mayoría de los miembros de ASUSA han llegado recientemente a los EE.UU., son profesionales o académicos, la mayoría de ellos vuelven regularmente a Asturias; la mayor parte todavía se consideran ser asturianos 100%. Por otra parte, AsturianUS pertenece más a la emigración más vieja, y se centra más en la herencia astur-americana, pero ésos están las únicas diferencias. Aparte de ése, somos más o menos iguales."

Por supuesto, una diferencia dominante es que AsturianUS.org no está unido en su postura política, pero ASUSA, sí, es.

Por favor, lee este mensaje, también:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtop ... =8565#8565

Return to “Symposio: Asturians in US - Asturianos en los EU”