Emigrante del mundo / Emigrant of the world

Retelling the stories of the Asturian-American migration.<br>
Recontando las historias de la emigración astur-americana.

Moderators: Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

Terechu

Emigrante del mundo / Emigrant of the world

Post by Terechu »

http://www.elpais.es/articulo/elpporgen ... tivo/Cadiz

I thought I'd share this with you. Jean Reno is not Asturian, but I think he is the paradigm of the emigrant child, unspoiled, selfsufficient, hard-working, who becomes successful in his host country. He was born Juan Moreno of emigrant Andalusian parents in Casablanca (Morocco) and later moved to France. He has become a world famous actor thanks to his talent (I reckon - since he's not your everyday hunk), and this weekend he was named "Adoptive Son" of Cádiz, the home province of his family.
Of all the awards he has received in his life (France's highest award, the Legion of Honour, included), only this one moved him to tears. What is it about our home turf that makes us so emotionally dependent?

-----------------------------------------------
Quería compartir esta noticia. Jean Reno no es asturiano, pero creo que es el paradigma del niño emigrante, bien criado, autosuficiente y trabajador que triunfa en su país de acogida. Se llama Juan Moreno y nació en Casablanca (Marruecos), hijo de emigrantes gaditanos, quienes luego se marcharon a Francia. Se ha convertido en un actor de fama mundial gracias a su talento (supongo - porque no es precisamente un guaperas al uso) y este fin de semana le nombraron "Hijo Adoptivo" de la provincia de Cádiz, origen de su familia. Con todos los premios y galardones que ha recibido en su vida (La Legión de Honor de Francia inclusive), sólo este le ha hecho llorar. ¿Qué tendrá el terruño que nos hace tan dependientes emocionalmente?

Return to “Immigrant Stories - Historias inmigrantes”