Emigration records & family info for Belmonte Menendez G

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

mhconant

Emigration records & family info for Belmonte Menendez G

Post by mhconant »

Does anyone know the best way to find emigration documents for citizens of Belmonte de Miranda?

My great grandfather came to the US from Villar de Zuecos, Belmonte de Miranda in about 1914. I was just visiting there and went to the town records office. I was able to uncover birth records for all of his siblings, except for him. I think he may have been conceived out of wedlock, though his parents married a short time later.

I would like to find out as much as possible about him and his siblings. Especially information about their trips to the US. I believe his two siblings followed him around 1920.

Here is what I know:

1. My great grandfather Jose Menendez Gonzalez was born around 1894 in Villar de Zuecos. He left for the US around 1914 ands supposedly was one of the few survivors on his ship as many died from a sickness on board. I don't know which port he left from or where he landed, but I expect it was New York City.

2. His parents were Narciso Menendez Fernandez (from Villar) and Maria Gonzalez Menendez (from Quintinal).

3. His two brothers who followed him to the US around 1920 were Fructuoso and Alfredo. There were born 20 Jan 1898 and 20 Mar 1900 respectively. I believe they landed in New York City.

Any information you can give me on this family, how to find more information, or on emigration records and how to find them would be most appreciated. I was told I could contact the priest of Belmonte, but am unsure how to reach him. I was also told that Oviedo would have emigration documents but am unsure where/whom to contact.

Thanks.

-------------------------------------------

Trad. Terechu

Sabe alguien cuál es la mejor manera de encontrar documentos de emigración de habitantes de Belmonte de Miranda?

My bisabuelo vino a EE.UU. desde Villar de Zuecos, Belmonte de Miranda, alrededor de 1914. Acabo de estar allí de visita y he estado en el registro del pueblo. Pude encontrar los asientos de nacimiento de todos sus hermanos, menos el suyo. Creo que pudo haber nacido de madre soltera, aunque sus padres se casaron poco después.

Quisiera saber todo lo posible sobre él y sus hermanos. Especialmente información sobre sus viajes a EE.UU. Creo que dos de sus hermanos le siguieron hacia 1920.

Esto es lo que sé:
1. Mi bisabuelo José Menéndez González nació hacia 1894 en Villar de Zuecos. Se fue a EE.UU. hacia 1914 y se cree que fue uno de los pocos supervivientes del barco en que iba, ya que muchos murieron de enfermedad a bordo. No sé de qué puerto partió ni a dónde arribó, aunque supongo que sería a Nueva York.

2. Era hijo de Narciso Menendez Fernandez (de Villar) y Maria Gonzalez Menendez (de Quintanal).

3. Los dos hermanos que le siguieron a EE.UU. hacia 1920 eran Fructuoso y Alfredo. Nacieron el 20 de enero de de 1898 y el 20 de marzo de 1900 respectivamente. Creo que arribaron a Nueva York.

Agradecería cualquier información que me puedan facilitar acerca de esta familia, cómo encontrar información adicional o documentos de emigración. Me aconsejaron contactar con el cura de Belmonte, pero no sé cómo hacerlo. También me dijeron que en Oviedo habría documentos de emigración, pero no estoy de dónde o a quien escribir.

Gracias.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Welcome to the forum, MHConant!

Have you checked Ellis Island? www.ellisisland.org. It's free to search the data, but you need to register.

Try the last names separately, with and without Jose. I didn't find anyone using accents (José Menéndez, for example). You'll see that most of the immigrants came by way of Cuba, so it'd be helpful to know if he stopped there first, or if he traveled to the US by way of Cuba.

I'm sure other members will have other ideas, too.

-----------------

¡Bienvenida al foro, MHConant!

¿Has visitado el site de la Isla Ellis? www.ellisisland.org. Es gratis buscar datos, pero tienes que registrarte.

Prueba los apellidos separadamente, con y sin Jose. No encontré a nadie usando acentos (José Menéndez, por ejemplo). Verás que la mayor parte de los inmigrantes vinieron por Cuba, entonces sería provechoso saber si él se parara allí primero, o si él viajara a EU por Cuba.

Estoy seguro que otros miembros tendrán otras ideas, también.
mhconant

Ellis Island, etc.

Post by mhconant »

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I have been to the Ellis Island site but couldn't say for sure that any of the names I saw were his. Especially since he supposedly was given the name Joseph Gonzalez upon arrival. I don't know if I should be looking at Joseph Gonzalez, Jose Menendez or Jose Gonzalez.

I've heard there is some office in Oviedo that has all the requests/permissions to leave Spain, but not sure which.

Additionally confusing, his brother Alfredo is listed in the 1930 census with his wife, but is shown as being 8 years older than he actually is (38 instead of 30) and even says he was married at 34, when in 1930 he had never even reached that age. People listing different birth dates, etc. makes finding out more info about them to be even harder. Still, this is very interesting and exciting work!

I noticed that there is a member of this forum who posts in Castellano and lives in Oviedo. I will try to reply to one of her posts to see if she has any tips for me, as well.

Thanks again for your response.
Hasta pronto.
HC
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

I believe the fastest and most effective way to get the information you need would be to write to the parish priest:

Parroquia de San Julián
33830 Belmonte de Miranda - Asturias
Spain
Sr. Cura Párroco D. Miguel Angel Joglar Amores

Telephone +34-985- 762-041

Note that José's mother (your GG-Grandmother) was from the village of Quintanal and if he was born out of wedlock, Quintanal might be his likely place of birth.

Cheers
Terechu
mhconant

Post by mhconant »

Thank you!
Bob

Post by Bob »

I will add that it may help to write in Castellano. While I do not have wide experience with parish priests in Asturias, those that I have met spoke little or no English.
mhconant

Post by mhconant »

Claro que si'. Acabo de empezar una carta al cura de Belmonte.
Gracias.
HC
Eli

Post by Eli »

You may benefit from joining http://www.hispagen.org/ even if you don’t join simply browse they have some good info there. If you are somewhat lazy you could have a professional do the job for you http://www.apellidosygenealogia.com/ At 20 Euros an hour it’s not cheap though...

I don’t know what the forum’s policies are in regards with posting links to commercial sites here, I have not seen any objections to it under ‘terms of use’ but if it is inappropriate please excuse me and delete/edit the post. I should add I DON’T KNOW THIS COMPANY and am not recommending them as supposed to anybody else, I intend to use their services but haven’t done so yet. As always the small print is longer than the post itself. ;-)
Luiña

Familia Menéndez González (Belmonte)

Post by Luiña »

Buenas noches Mhconant:

He encontrado la partida de bautismo de su bisabuelo José en el Archivo Diocesano de Oviedo. Figura como José González y nació el 24 de septiembre de 1893. La parroquia es San Andrés de Agüera del Arciprestazgo de Belmonte. Le envío más información directamente por si quiere pedir la partida oficial al Arzobispado. o la de matrimonio de sus padres al párroco de Belmonte.

Sobre datos de emigración creo que no hay nada centralizado; si me entero de alguna posibilidad de consulta se lo comunicaré.

Un saludo desde Oviedo
---------------------------------------------------
Transl. Terechu

Good evening, Mhconant,
I have found your great-grandfather José's birth registry in the "Archivo Diocesano de Oviedo". He was entered as José González and was born on 24 Sept. 1893 in the parish of San Andrés de Agüera, archpriestry of Belmonte. I'm sending the information to you directly in case you wish to request the official birth certificate from the Archbishopric, or your parents' marriage certificate from the priest of Belmonte.
I don't believe there's a centralized archive of emigration documents; should I find out about any such possibility, I will let you know.

Greetings from Oviedo
mhconant

Gracias!

Post by mhconant »

Muchisimas gracias!!!

Una pregunta. El nacio' el 24 de septiembre o fue bautizado en esa fecha? Tambien, dijo algo del nombre de su padre? O solo de su madre? Gracias.

Thank you!

Just one question. Was he born on the 24th of September or was he baptized on that date? Also, did the document happen to mention the name of his father or just his mother?
Thanks!
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

We're going to have to start advertising our very own genealogy expert: Luiña. She's incredibly good!

(As for Elí's question about commerical links... that link was okay because he was an active member of the forum.)

---------------------

Tendremos que hacer publicidad sobre nuestra experta de genealogía: Luiña. ¡Es un maravilla!

(En relación con la pregunta de Elí sobre los enlaces comerciales... ese enlace estaba bien porque Elí es un socio activo del foro.)
Luiña

José González

Post by Luiña »

Buenas noches Mhconant:

José González nació y fué bautizado el mismo día (24-09-1893) y no hay referencia alguna a su padre ni a un posterior reconocimiento del mismo. Sólo figuran su madre y sus abuelos maternos, todos de Quintanal, pero el 8 de diciembre de 1895 aparece la partida de bautismo de su hermana María - nacida el día anterior - y ésta figura ya como hija de Narciso y María, vecinos de Villar; por tanto el matrimonio tuvo que celebarse entre esas dos fechas.
En Oviedo el último libro de matrimonios acaba en 1850, así que los posteriores supongo que estarán en la parroquia.

Trataré de ver si hay libros de defunción donde pueda encontrar algún dato más, en caso contrario tendrá que pedirlos a Belmonte.

La partida de nacimiento se puede pedir al Registro Civil y si le interesa la partida de bautismo oficial puede escribir a archivo@iglesiadeasturias.org dando el nombre, la fecha y también los datos de Signatura y folio en que aparece y que le envié por mensaje privado.
El Archivo Diocesano cobra unas tasas que hace tiempo eran de 10 euros por certificación literal, no sé si se mantienen en esa cantidad, pero se lo indicarán por e-mail.

Si encuentro algo más lo notificaré rápido.
Un abrazo y mucha suerte en la búsqueda.
Luiña

Gracias Art

Post by Luiña »

Buenas noches Art:

Gracias por tantos piropos, pero lo único que hago es utilizar parte de mi tiempo libre en revisar lo que hay en Oviedo y me alegro mucho cuando encuentro algo.
A lo que no puedo comprometerme es a viajar por Asturias investigando, pero mientras pueda seguiré colaborando con lo de aquí.

Gracias de nuevo
mhconant

Post by mhconant »

Gracias! Los padres de Jose (o sea, la madre de Jose y su esposo) se casaron en 1894, ya tengo una copia del documento de matrimonio, y ya tengo los documentos de defuncion de los padres, Narciso y Maria.

Ellos refieran a Jose como hijo en otros documentos del familia. Y como el da el nombre de Narciso a su primer hijo, me hace pensar que puede ser hijo de Narciso. Sin embargo, como tiene el apellido de Gonzalez en EEUU me hace pensar que talvez nunca tomo' el nombre de su padre. Entonces, talvez Narciso no fue padre de el. No puedo saber. No se' si hay algo como regla para esta tipa de situacion.

Muchas gracias por todo.
HC

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”