Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

Terechu

Surname Vallina

Post by Terechu »

VALLINA

The Vallinas of Langreo.
In the 1580 Census Pedro de Vallina was listed as a blacksmith, who was not doing all that well, because he had left Asturias and the census takers rated him as “poor”. His brothers were Juan and Domingo, registered as living in Pumarabín. There was also an Alonso de la Vallina in Polledo.

There are no other documents on this family until 1628 - the third generation of Vallinas after the aforementioned. There are two or three families by that surname registered at La Madalena de Ordiales and El Caleyo (on either side of the Somero creek). The descendants of Alonso de la Vallina are registered at La Vallina de la Longa, all of these hamlets are within the parish of San Andrés de Linares, which in those days belonged to the county of Langreo, now to S.Martín del Rey Aurelio.
Xose

Post by Xose »

Good info! I just wish I knew what to make of it. It would be awesome to go back to Spain and collect DNA samples to find relatives.... See which clan I belong to.
Cesar.astur

San Martín del Rey Aurelio

Post by Cesar.astur »

Hello, my name is César Rodríguez and I'm from El Entrego a village in San Martín del Rey Aurelio. Have read all this information about Vallina's surname.
Well I'm a little bit busy but if you need more information about that muncipality or anything else. Please don't hesitate to contact me.

Regards to everyone!!!
Eli

Post by Eli »

Hey Xose,
It would be awesome to go back to Spain and collect DNA samples to find relatives.... See which clan I belong to.
Have you taken a Y-DNA test? If you have I would love to see the results, there are so few for known descendants of Spaniards in Asturias.
Bob

Post by Bob »

As a geneticist, I am somewhat concerned about the mass marketing of gene testing. If anyone would would like an opinion concerning whether or not it might be worthwhile, or help with interpreting results, please don't hesitate to ask either in the forum or in private email.

To cite only one example, I have two granddaughters. They do not have a Y chromosome from me, so my Y chromosome is at an evolutionary dead end (except through my nephew's son). But is doesn't mean that they and any children they may have in the future are not related to me.
Eli

Post by Eli »

As a geneticist, I am somewhat concerned about the mass marketing of gene testing.
Why are you concerned? Not certain if you are talking about ‘gene testing’ in general or the Y-DNA testing that is becoming more and more popular every day. If you are talking about Y-DNA what are your concerns? As far as I understand it all the markers are taken from an area that is considered ‘junk DNA’ it has no (known) coding of any value (true someday that may change, I think it will) the markers are meaningless in of themselves, all the test does is compare mutations to find similarities in different people. So specially coming from a geneticist (that is not trying to sell me something) I’m very interested in reading your opinion.
If anyone would like an opinion concerning whether or not it might be worthwhile, or help with interpreting results, please don't hesitate to ask either in the forum or in private email.
I and some people that share my last name have taken the test and so far it’s been pretty straight forward, both confirming known relationships and denying the possibility of being part of the same family although we share the same last name.

There is a company that is breaking even newer ground in this new area, they are attempting to figure out branches within branches and the origin of the S21+ or S21- (Frisian?), because so very few people have tested for this marker I am waiting for the industry to have a better understanding before I take this and whatever other tests may be needed in order to have an informed opinion. Do you think that the current knowledge on the subject is enough to warrant the test? or are they marketing something that could very well turn out to be wrong?
I have two granddaughters. They do not have a Y chromosome from me, so my Y chromosome is at an evolutionary dead end (except through my nephew's son). But is doesn't mean that they and any children they may have in the future are not related to me.
Of course you are right, it would be nice if we could trace every line we descend from, unfortunately that is impossible, we can only trace male and female lines because they don't recombine. And the later is iffy at best.
Gil Andrés Sopeña

Re: Surname Vallina

Post by Gil Andrés Sopeña »

Hola Asturianos del Mundo: Terechu, no se ingles , Pero entiendo que buscais el apellido Vallina por Asturias? ¿ buscais Vallinas en algun Punto concreto de Asturias? , se donde hay un pequeño nucleo de Vallinas ( y Ballinas ) en Villavicosa, si puedo ser útil me teneis a vuestra disposicón ,

gil andrés sopeña
Terechu wrote:VALLINA

The Vallinas of Langreo.
In the 1580 Census Pedro de Vallina was listed as a blacksmith, who was not doing all that well, because he had left Asturias and the census takers rated him as “poor”. His brothers were Juan and Domingo, registered as living in Pumarabín. There was also an Alonso de la Vallina in Polledo.

There are no other documents on this family until 1628 - the third generation of Vallinas after the aforementioned. There are two or three families by that surname registered at La Madalena de Ordiales and El Caleyo (on either side of the Somero creek). The descendants of Alonso de la Vallina are registered at La Vallina de la Longa, all of these hamlets are within the parish of San Andrés de Linares, which in those days belonged to the county of Langreo, now to S.Martín del Rey Aurelio.

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”