Uiquipedia

People, history, places, resources, & more.<br>
El pueblo, historia, lugares, recursos, & más.

Moderators: mariamatoyos, Moderators

Peter

Uiquipedia

Post by Peter »

Uiquipedia: La Wikipedia n'asturianu/llionés/mirandés

http://ast.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portada

If I understand this correctly, this is a Wikipedia in asturianu (and something more?) Please someone tell me more. My spanish isn't much better than my asturianu, and that's not much better than my understanding of quantum physics.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Hi, Peter.

Asturian is the current name for the Asturian-Leonese language in Asturias. However it is the same language, it is called Leonese in León province (Spain) and Mirandese in Miranda d'l Douro district (NE Portugal).

The Asturian language has some principal dialects. The normalised Asturian is based mainly on the Central dialect, with the bigger amount of inhabitants and litterary tradition.

Leonese is a southern prolongation of Western dialect, practically the same that in Cangas del Narcea, for example.

Mirandese is a little different. It is based also on Western dialect, but with some influences of Portuguese due to the appartenance of this district to another country for centuries.

Mirandese is an official language in Portugal, but not Asturian in Spain.

Asturian and Leonese are based on the spelling from the Academia de la Llingua Asturiana. Mirandese is based in the Portuguese spelling. For example, for the sound similar to (vowel)NI(vowel) as in ONION, Asturian and Leonese use the Ñ graphics, and the Mirandese NH, both with the same value as in French or Italian -GN-.

For the sound of double LL, Asturian and Leonese use LL graphics, and Mirandese LH, both pronounced as Italian GLI in PAGLIA.

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Another map with more details:

Peter

Post by Peter »

Carlos,

Thanks for taking the time to explain all of that. It is great to know.

I just can't understand why some bone headed government officials think we all have to speak the same language. Well it seems like Asturianu is alive and kicking, thanks to the efforts of many folks, and I assume you must be one.

Peter

Return to “About Asturias - Sobre Asturies”