Soccer Hall of Fame and Julius Garcia Alonso

Retelling the stories of the Asturian-American migration.<br>
Recontando las historias de la emigración astur-americana.

Moderators: Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

Suronda
Co-Founder

Soccer Hall of Fame and Julius Garcia Alonso

Post by Suronda »

I recently found an interesting biography of Julius Garcia Alonso , an Asturian immigrant born in Luanco, who was inducted into to the National Soccer Hall of Fame (Oneonta, New York) in 1992.

Julius Garcia Alonso came with his parents from Asturias to Anmoore, West Virginia (also known as Grasselli). Like many other Asturian families in WV, the Alonsos also had connections in Donora, Pennsylvania as well as Canton, Ohio. In fact, the story states that Juluis and his brother founded the Canton (Ohio) Sporting Club and then the Donora (Pennsylvania) Spanish Football Club in the mid-1920s.

In 1919, Alonso returned to Spain until his return to the U.S. in 1924. While in Spain, Alonso played soccer with Marino Football Club and also with the "Madrid, C.F." I wonder if that is what in Spanish would be called Real Madrid, C.F.?

I know that many fellows participated in baseball, but I hadn't heard much about soccer. Does anyone know more about sports in the community? Does anyone know more about Julius Garcia Alonso's story?
Last edited by Suronda on Sun Jul 06, 2003 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

My aunt Connie has said that my grandpop, Emilio Fernández and two of his brothers, Anselmo and Caesar, were well-known as football (soccer) players. Emilio was a goalie and Caesar a hyper-aggressive forward. If all three brothers were in town, people would go out of their way to watch "los tres hermanos" play. My aunt recalls that they played with another man, Ramone Alvarez.

They evidently played on a team that won some sort of championship in NY or NJ in the 1930s when Emilio was nearing 40 years of age.

I find it odd that I inherited none of their sports abilities.
mdhsuarez

soccer

Post by mdhsuarez »

My grandfather, Enrique Menendez, is in the Soccer Hall of Fame in St. Louis, MO. He was a professional soccer player at the age of 16. I have many, many pictures of soccer clubs that are predominately Spanish. Many were sponsored by the zinc plants where they all worked. These teams won many championships in St. Louis, Mo and in East St. Louis, IL.

One of my most prized possessions is the solid gold medal awarded to my grandpa in 1926 when his team was the muny champion of the East St. Louis PArk District.
Marleen Menendez Suarez
Suronda
Co-Founder

Another Soccer Hall of Famer - Prudencio "Pete" Ga

Post by Suronda »

Prompted by a conversation with La Nueva Espa~a's Elisa, I located another Asturiano, Prudencio "Pete" Garcia who was inducted into the National Soccer Hall of Fame. Born in Salinas, Garcia emigrated to the U.S. in 1907, and was active in the St. Louis community. The biography linked above refers to his involvment with the Spanish society there, and the organization of independent soccer teams among workers.

Marlene, you mentioned in the post above that your grandfather, Enrique Menendez, was in the Soccer Hall of Fame in St. Louis, MO. Do you have information about this Hall of Fame? The one I'm speaking of is the National one in Oneonta, NY. If your grandfather was a professional soccer player, I'm sure he must have know "Pete" Gracia.

Would you be able to scan any of the picures you have of the soccer players for posting in our album? It would be interesting to learn more about soccer among the Asturian immigrants, and to see images from that time period.
mdhsuarez

spanish soccer

Post by mdhsuarez »

I will ask my father about Pete Garcia...he would have been playing around the same time as my abuelo in the same area, perhaps just a few years earlier. Also, I have numerous team pictures that I will scan and post just as soon as I can. I plan to do this later this week.

Interestingly enough, the Spanish Society still exists in the same south side neighborhood of St. Louis that was home to many Spanish immigrants. Of course, many of its members have moved or passed away by now. There was another large community of Spanish immigrants that lived just across the Mississippi RIver in Fairmont City, Illinois. (My home town). Fairmont was also home to many Polish and Mexican immigrants and the location of the American Zinc plant that employed so many of these immigrants. Every year for 50+ years, there is a traditional soccer game played by the Spanish Society members from St. Louis against the east side SPaniards. THey play on New Year's Day and rotate back and forth between Missouri and Illinois fields. Now, there are not enough Spaniards left to field both teams, but there are many of their descendants and newer Mexican immigrants that play. It is called the Chorizo bowl, as the players and spectators gather after the game to drink beer and have chorizo. They will go to the SPanish SOciety hall when playing in St. Louis and go to a tavern owned by my family when playing in Illinois.

Sadly, the Chorizo BOwl is a source of a great tragedy in our family...in 1974, my father's half-brother, Raymond Muniz, died of a heart attack at the age of 40 while playing in the game. My father has not been to a game since, but my husband and son still go to watch.

As you can see, soccer has played a large role in the lives of the St. Louis area Spaniards. I will get those pictures posted just as soon as I can.
Marleen Menendez Suarez
mdhsuarez

Post by mdhsuarez »

This morning I asked my father if he had ever heard of a soccer player named "Pete Garcia" and he quickly replied, "Of course, that's Prudencio.". What a surprise, my father knew him personally! As it turns out, Pete Garcia was a contemporary of my soccer-playing grandpa in St. Louis. It was Pete that was instrumental in having my grandfather inducted into the St. Louis soccer hall of fame. Pete felt that since my grandpa died so young (age 34 of TB) that he never received the recognition he deserved and would have most likely been a world-reknown player had his health not forced him to quit. Pete Garcia was also responsible for having a plaque dedicated to my grandpa and another old-time player (last name Mclaughlin, not of SPanish descent) in Carondelet Park where they often played. THis park is in their old south St. Louis neighborhood where the Spanish SOciety still exists today. This plaque was dedicated in the 1950's and there was a parade and celebration surrounding the occasion, all of it planned by Pete Garcia. Unfortunately, vandals stole the plaque and its replacements so it is no longer there (it was solid bronze). We do have pictures somewhere, though. My father says that if anyone wants to travel to the St. Louis area, he would love to talk to them about the old St. Louis asturianos and show them around and even take them to the Spanish society. He is 81 and in excellent health and full of memories that he would like to share with interested people. What a coincidence that Pete Garcia was so connected to my own family. I promise, that I will get to the pictures ASAP. ALso, this conversation prompted me to promise my father a trip to the library to look for archived newspaper articles about his father. We are going to do that tomorrow and I will also look for stuff on Pete Garcia while I am there. My dad is also checking on whether any of Pete's family is still around in St. Louis and I will let you know.
Marleen Menendez Suarez
Art
Site Admin

Dos emigrantes avilesinos, pioneros del fútbol estadouniden

Post by Art »

The following appeared in La Nueva España 07/23/03

Puedes ver el artículo original aqui:
[lo siento, este artículo ya no esta en el archivo de LNE]

----------

Dos emigrantes avilesinos, pioneros del fútbol estadounidense
Prudencio «Pete» García, que nació en Salinas el 2 de octubre de 1899, y el luanquín Julius García Alonso, nacido el 7 de septiembre de 1905, fueron dos emigrantes que consiguieron la fama como futbolistas en Estados Unidos. El «Hall of fame» (salón de la fama) de la Liga de fútbol los reconoce como dos de los pioneros del deporte. A García Alonso se le conocía como «Mr. American Soccer League», ya que dedicó 70 años de su vida a este deporte. En cuanto a «Pete» García, además de jugador fue también juez de línea en cuatro encuentros del Mundial de fútbol de Brasil en 1950.
Last edited by Art on Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xose

Post by Xose »

Julius Alonso was my great-grandmother's brother.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

I've posted a photo in the photo album of the Donora PA soccer team, probably from around 1920: http://www.asturianus.com/socialPre1940Photos.html

There is also a new topic in case anyone has more info about the players or their story: http://www.asturianus.com/forum/viewtop ... =2315#2315

-----------

He puesto un foto en el álbum de fotos del equipo de fútbol de Donora PA de aproximadamente el año 1920: http://www.asturianus.com/socialPre1940Photos.html

Hay también un tema nuevo para hablar de los jugadores y su historia. ¿Quiénes eran? ¿Dónde jugan? ¿Eran famosos? http://www.asturianus.com/forum/viewtop ... =2315#2315
Donald_Garcia

Prudencio "Pete" Garcia, St Louis MO soccer ref

Post by Donald_Garcia »

I [Prudencio's son] just wanted to confirm that everything that I have read about my Dad in this Forum is absolutely correct.

To answer the question about relatives:

I am the only remaining member of the family. My sister Dina Garia Ryan has died as has my mother Dora Garcia Fernandez.

Neices and nephews of Prudencio live in Tampa, Florida [althoug no longer in Ybor City]. There were many Asturians living in Ybor City and as far as I know the Centro Asturiano de Tampa Inc. (Asturian Association) still exists.

The Spanish Society [ 7107 Michigan Ave St Louis, MO 63111-2841 ] founded in the 20's, still exists.
Barbara Alonso Novellino

Post by Barbara Alonso Novellino »

Hi Donald,

My Dad was Julius Garcia Alonso...he was inducted in the Oneonta, New York Hall of Fame...Thought you might be interested in reading a post I did several years ago...

http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=298

Barbara
bast1399

The Spanish Society of St. Louis MO

Post by bast1399 »

here is a link to their website

www.spanishsociety.bravehost.com
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Just to clarify, Bast1399's link takes you to the website of The Spanish Society in St. Louis Mo.

Return to “Immigrant Stories - Historias inmigrantes”