I'm new & with a lot of questions

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

rose

I'm new & with a lot of questions

Post by rose »

My mother was born, in 1932, in Balbona, Pola de Allande, Asturias. Her name is Candida Fernandez Portela. Her father's name was Manuel Fernandez ? . He was born in the same village and died there.
My mother was his first-born. After her there was Manuel, Maria, and Hijinio. My grandmother died giving birth to Hijinio in 1936. In that year, my grandfather went to fight in the civil war. He returned home at the end of the war and married a woman, who I believe to still be alive in Balbona, and he had six children by her. From my half aunts & uncles, I only met my aunt Vidalina in Oviedo.
In 1987, my husband & I travelled to Spain and stayed a few days with my Aunt Maria and Uncle Pepito. While there, we went to Balbona to visit my Grandfather and Grandmother. I saw where he was born (only about three houses down from where he lived). I felt as if I had gone back in time about 200 years. The dirt roads were very narrow and some people still didn't have in-door plumbing. It was a simple and healthy farm life. During the civil war, my grandfather's farm had 12 men working there.
I'm not sure if it is true or not, but I was told my grandfather's farm supplied milk to a lot of Spain.

My mother told me many stories about her childhood and I would like to know if anyone has some ties to people from Balbona? I'm wondering how to find out any of my geneology from Asturias.

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”