National Geographic to study Asturian migrations

Happenings of interest to forum participants.<br>
Sucesos de interés a foreros.

Moderator: Moderators

Terechu

National Geographic to study Asturian migrations

Post by Terechu »

It's October, that time of year again in Asturias, when the Prince of Asturias prizes are bestowed on the most deserving, and among this year's winners are UNICEF, Paul Auster and the National Geographic Socity. Oviedo is buzzing with activity, the airport is crowded and there are no vacancies in the hotels.
According to this article in today's LNE, NatGeo will be conducting a DNA study and follow up to shed some light into Asturian's past and present. This promises to be interesting. Watch out, Basques, we are much more inbred than you! :lol:

http://www.lne.es/secciones/noticia.jsp ... cia=454120

For automatic translation, click right mouse button, select Page info and Translate page into English.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

That's interesting. When the article is published, please let us know what it says.

Here's more info on the National Geographic Genographic Project:
https://www3.nationalgeographic.com/gen ... index.html

-----------------

Es muy interesante. Cuando se publica el artículo, por favor dinos que dice.

Aquí está más información sobre el Proyecto Genográfico de National Geographic:
https://www3.nationalgeographic.com/gen ... index.html
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Thanks for that link, Art. That is a great web site, full of very interesting info.

----------------------

Gracias por ese enlace, Art. Es un página web muy buena, llena de informacion interesantísima.
Lorene Valdez Salgardo

DNA testing

Post by Lorene Valdez Salgardo »

Hello:

That article was very interesting.

I'm forever greatful to my brother for his participation in the New Mexico DNA Project and I hope there will be many from your area who will participate in the Asturian DNA Project.
Lorene
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Hi Lorene,
I would like to know more about the NM DNA project you mention. Are there are results yet? And if so, have you found out that you Valdés/Valdez folks are of Asturian descent?
I just read that there was a "Jones" family reunion in Wales this weekend, which beat every Guiness record, with Joneses pouring in from all parts of the world (singer/actress/model Grace Jones included). I'm sure that if the "Valdeses" were to do the same, you guys would beat that record hands down. :lol:
-------------------------------------------------

Me gustaría saber algo más sobre ese estudio de ADN en Nuevo México que mencionas. Ya se saben los resultados? En tal caso, ya sabéis que los Valdés/Valdez soys de ascendencia asturiana?
Acabo de leer en el periódico que hubo una reunión familiar de los "Jones" en Gales y que batieron el record Guiness de asistencia al venir "Joneses" de todo el mundo (incl. Grace Jones). Estoy segura de que si los Valdés/Valdez hiciérais lo mismo, les ganaríais con la gorra. :lol:
Lorene Valdez Salgardo

NMDNA Project

Hello Terechu:

If you go on to the New Mexico DNA Project website and under Kit 69557, Valdez, you will find my Brother's Information.

After my sister Rose worked on our genealogy she found that Jose Ruiz de Valdes is our link to Asturias. Before he made the trek from New Spain ( Mexico) to the New Kingdom ( New Mexico) in the 1600's he was asked where was he from and he answered, Asturias. We know that there were other Valdes/Valdez in New Spain at that time but he must of been a later arrival or he would probably have said New Spain.

The New Mexico DNA Project Administrator informed us that my Brother's DNA was Haplotype I which is in line with the clans that inhabited Asturias.

There are other Valdes/Valdez in the project and worldwide but only one that matches my Brother's DNA 24/25. This person isn't a Valdez, but states that his last name was given through adoption.

I'm not sure what I wanted to get out of this DNA Project but so far I'm very happy. The DNA results help to validify my sister's genealogy research of our ancestors. When we started this research both parents were deceased and we had no written history.

It would be great if we had a Valdes/Valdez reunion in your area one of these days.
Lorene
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Hi again Lorene,
Have you seen this web site on other branches of the Valdes/Valdez lineage of New Mexico?

http://perso.orange.fr/rancho.pancho/Valdes.
Lorene Valdez Salgardo

website

Hi Terechu:
Thanks. Yes, I've seen that website. That line is very long and has had a great deal of information written about it. I connect to the one that hasn't had that much written about. Both lines have Jose Ruiz de Valdes as the progenitor. My line has the matriarch, Micaela Lucero de Godoi/Godoy. Their matriarch is Josepha Bustos Ontiveras.
Lorene
astúricu

Post by astúricu »

L'estudiu probará que los vieyos ástures poblaron Irlanda.

-----------------------
trans. Art

The study will prove that the ancient Astures settled/colonized/populated Ireland.

Return to “Events - Acontecimientos”