Site Admin

Politics of Memory in Contemporary Spain, 11/10/2006 in NYC

Post by Art »

[Art: received by email]

The Politics of Memory in Contemporary Spain

New York University
King Juan Carlos I Centre http://www.nyu.edu/kjc/
Friday, November 10, 2006

10:00 Introduction (James Fernández + Jo Labanyi)

10: 15 Panel 1
Julián Casanova (University of Zaragoza), “Franco’s Church”
Montse Armengou (TV journalist), “Investigative Journalism as a Weapon for Recovering Historical Memory”
Gina Herrmann (University of Oregon), “The documentary films of Montse Armengou and Ricard Belis: The Labours of Memory”

12:30 Lunch

13:45 Panel 2
Andés Soria (University of Granada and King Juan Carlos I Professor of Spanish Culture and Civilization), “ ‘… or make grow grass in the mouth of the dead’: The Lorca Case”

14:30 Break

14:45 Panel 3
Emilio Silva (Asociación para la Recuperación de la Memoria Histórica), “ The Work of the Association for the Recovery of Historical Memory” (www.memoriahistorica.org)
Francisco Ferrándiz (University of Extremadura), “The Multiple Formats of Memory Struggles: From Bones and Mass Graves to Memory Laws”
Francesc Torres (installation artist), “ The Images of Memory: A Civilian Narration of History”

16:45 Break

17:00 Round table

Please sends this information to any interested person.
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Los que estéis en Nueva York esa semana, no os lo perdáis. No conozco a todos los ponentes, pero Montse Armengou fue la autora, junto con Ricard Belis, del increíble documental de 3 capítulos de la TV catalana (emitido para toda España por Antena 3) "Los niños perdidos del franquismo". Si encontráis el libro, merece la pena leerlo. Hicieron un trabajo de investigación asombroso y extensísimo sobre los niños que nacieron en las cárceles de madres republicanas y fueron separados y dados en adopción a familias de derechas, niños evacuados, que por ser tan pequeños y no saber explicarse simplemente los perdieron en Francia llevándolos de acá para allá (como fue el caso de nuestro miembro Corsino, que acabó en EE.UU., creyendo siempre que era huérfano), etc.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those of you who plan to be in NY that week, don't miss this conference. I don't know all the participants, but Montse Armengou, together with Ricard Belis, was the author of the incredible documentary film produced by TV de Cataluña (and broadcast nationwide by Antena 3) called "Los niños perdidos del franquismo". If you find the book, do read it. They did an amazing and extensive research about those children born in Franco's jails to Republican mothers, who were then separated from them and given up for adoption to right wing families, and children evacuated during the war, who were too little to fend for themselves and were simply lost in France, being taken from one colony to another (as was the case of our very own Corsino, who ended up in the USA, always believing that he was an orphan), etc.
Bob

Post by Bob »

For those in NYC the weekend of November 10-12, in addition to the event that Terechu listed, which I hope to attend, there are also two others that may be of interest.

On November 11, I have been invited to read some of my fiction, which is based on Asturian themes and places, at the meeting of the Society for Literature, Science and the Arts.

The Centro Asturiano de Nueva York will sponsor a dinner/dance, with Asturian food and a gaitero, at the Marbella Restaurant in Bayside on Saturday November 11 from 8:00 PM to 1:00 AM. The price is $65 for members and $70 for nonmembers. For more information, call Maria Gelchie at 631-261-2362 or Maria Carbajal at 516-569-0180.

Return to “Events - Acontecimientos”