Article: UN DOCUMENTAL MUESTRA LA EMIGRACIÓN ASTURIANA A WV

Post by Art »

[Art: Cuidado, lo pongo con todos sus errores.]

Publicado el 24/11/2006 en "Que!"
Enlace
UN DOCUMENTAL MUESTRA LA EMIGRACIÓN ASTURIANA A WEST VIRGINIA
por MAJO FAL

En un pueblo de EEUU hablan asturiano y comen fabada

Es la historia olvidada de la emigración a EEUU que recoge el periodista asturiano Luis Argeo en un documental. A principios del siglo pasado unas 1.500 familias salieron de Castrillón y Avilés para trabajar en una fábrica de zinc como mano de obra cualificada y que una vez allí les alojaron en un pueblo sólo para ellos: Spelbert. Aquello era un 'gueto' en donde se hablaba asturiano y se comía fabada. De ahí que las siguientes generaciones trataran de salir de allí para aprender inglés y medrar. Ahora los descendientes se reúnen una o dos veces al año y mantienen viva su asturianía en su web: www.asturianus.org.

El documental se verá este domingo a las 22:15h en el antiguo instituto

Fue una little Asturias

Juerguistas
Los asturianos tenían fama de juerguistas. A la menor hacían tortilla con chorizo o fiestas para recaudar dinero para España.

Piquiniqui Hill
Por la dificultad para pronunciar, los asturianos transformaron Picnic Hill en Piquiniqui Hill, así se quedó el nombre.

Apellidos comunes
Arrojo, González, Montes o Vázquez son apellidos que suenan en el pueblo.

Dos tipos
Según explican para Qué! hay 2 tipos: los que quieren saber de sus orígenes y las jóvenes 'leyendas urbanas'.

-------------------
Trans. Art

[Art: In this version I've added the corrected the spelling and added a few explanations in brackets. There are still mistakes in the details.]

Published the 11/24/2006 in "Que!"
Link
A DOCUMENTARY SHOWS THE ASTURIAN EMIGRATION TO WEST VIRGINIA
by MAJO FAL

In a town in the US they speak Asturian and eat fabada

It is the forgotten history from the emigration to the U.S.A. that the Asturian journalist Luis Argeo gathers in his documentary. At the beginning of the last century 1,500 families left Castrillón and Avilés to work in a zinc factory as qualified manual labor. Once there, they made a home for themselves in a town only for them: Spelbert [Spelter]. That was a "gueto" [neighborhood] in which Asturian was spoken and people ate fabada. Later the following generations tried to leave there, to learn English and prosper economically. Now the descendants meet once or twice a year and keep alive their asturianía [Asturian-ness] with their website: www.AsturianUS.org.

The documentary will be shown Sunday 22:15 h in the Old Institute.

It was a Little Asturias

Juerguistas [Revellers]
The Asturians are famous for being "juerguistas" [revellers]. At the very least, they made tortilla with chorizos [Asturian sausage] or held celebrations to collect money for Spain.

Piquiniqui Hill [Pinickinick Hill]
Due to prounciation difficulties, the Asturians transformed Picnic Hill into Piquiniqui Hill [Pinickinick Hill], and that's how the name remained.

Common last names
Arrojo, González, Montes or Vázquez are common last names in the town.

Two types
As they explained to Que!, there are 2 types [of members of AsturianUS.org]: those who want to learn of their origins and the young "urban legends" [contemporary emigrants from Asturias. The government denies that they exist, so they call themselves "urban legends."].
Last edited by Art on Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Art
Site Admin

Hay 3 tipos de socios - there are 3 types of members

Post by Art »

De verdad, escribí que hay tres clases de socios en el foro.
Art en un correo electrónico wrote:Quiero clarificar que dentro de la órbita de AsturianUS.org, somos distintas clases de miembros, no por derechos pero por las razones que participamos.

1. Hay los como yo (Art Zoller Wagner), Suronda González, Bob Martínez, y Xose Vallina. Somos nietos y hijos de los emigrantes a America. Queremos saber más de la tierrina y conectar con otros asturianos.

2. Hay los como Julia Argüelles, Ayalgueru, y Leto quienes viven fuera de Asturias y (creo) quieren participar en algo de su querido tierra. Muchos de esos son jovenes quienes no pueden trabajar en Asturias porque no hay bastantes trabajos. (Es como era en los años 1900-1920 cuando mucha gente salieron.) Hay bastantes asturianos -- nacidos en Asturias pero viviendo aquí en los EE.UU. ahora, como Alfonso Diaz y Trabanco.

3. Hay otros como Carlos (Carlos Moreno García), Terechu, Berodia, y Mouguias quienes viven en Asturias hoy en día y (creo) queren representar Asturies al mundo.

Y todos sentimos relacionado con Asturias apasionadamente.
-----------------

Actually, I wrote that there are three kinds of members in the forum.
Art in an email wrote:I want to clarify that within the orbit of AsturianUS.org, there are different kinds of members, not because of differing rights but due to the differing reasons that we participate.

1. There are those myself (Art Zoller Wagner), Suronda González, Bob Martinez, and Xose Vallina. We are the grandchildren and children of the original emigrants to the US. We want to know more of the tierrina [homeland] and to connect with other Asturians.

2. There are those like Julia Argüelles, Ayalgueru, and Leto who live outside Asturias and (I think) want to participate in something related to their dear homeland. Many of those are young people who cannot work in Asturias because there are no enough jobs. (It is much like it was in 1900-1920 when many people left.) There are also a fair number of Asturians -- who were born in Asturias but who are now living here in the US, such as Alfonso Diaz and Trabanco.

3. There are others like Carlos (Carlos Moreno García), Terechu, Berodia, and Mouguias who live in Asturias today, and who (I think) want to represent Asturies to the world.

And all we felt passionately related to Asturias.
Ron Gonzalez

Article: UN DOCUMENTAL MUESTRA LA EMIGRACION ASTURIANA A WV

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Art
There is a fourth kind of member: one who remembers the old days, how it was then, and how it is now, trying to keep his memories alive of their family, as well as of old friendships of the past. This website has done that for me, and I hope others. As you know by the old photos that I have hanging on the walls, the Asturian flag that is also there, the stories that I tell you about the "old days," I do try to keep the memories alive. As I look back on my days growing up in Spelter, what a wonderful time that was, I just wish that everyone could know what it was like to be a kid growing up in Spelter. Well, Art, that is the fourth kind of member: one who wants to keep in touch with his or her roots, and my roots are in Asturias.

-------------
trans. Art

Art,
Hay una cuarta clase de miembro: lo que recuerda los días viejos, cómo estaba entonces, y cómo está ahora, intentando mantener sus memorias vivas de su familia, así como de las viejas amistades del pasado. Este sitio web ha hecho eso para mí, y espero otros. Pues, sabes por las viejas fotos que tengo colgadas en las paredes, la bandera asturiana que está allí también, las historias que te cuento sobre los "días viejos", intento mantener las memorias vivas. Mientras que miro ahora a los días en que crecí en Spelter, qué tiempo maravilloso era, sólo deseo que cada persona podría saber como era ser un joven criado en Spelter. Bueno, Art, eso es la cuarta clase del miembro: uno quien desea permanecerse en contacto con sus raíces, y mis raíces están en Asturias.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Yes, that's a great addition, Ron.

After I posted that, another category popped into my head, too. Some of our members, like Terechu, Jomaguca, and Mafalda, have lived in the US or have family members who went to the US.

--------------------

Sí, eso es una gran adición, Ron.

Después de que lo puse, una otra categoría me ocurrió, también. Algunos de nuestros miembros, como Terechu, Jomaguca, y Mafalda, han vivido en los EE.UU. o tienen miembros de su familia que fueron a los EE.UU.
Mafalda

Post by Mafalda »

¡Vaya por Dios!, Art, con la cantidad de cosas que se escribieron estos dias acerca de esta página, y te has ido a encontrar precisamente con esa, el articulo es penoso de principio a fin, una forma de rellenar hueco en un periodico, que por suerte no es de mucha tirada. :oops: :oops: :oops:

En el reportaje de Luis Argeo, resulta enternecedor ver como Ron, con una voz serena y armoniosa, explica su añoranza de Asturias. Pasan por delante de unas casas, y nos dice que familia vivia en cada una de ellas, Luis Argeo intercala preguntas desde detras de la cámara y trozos de películas antiguas, que son de la colección de Ron, en una de ellas, que debe estar hecha el mismo dia que esta foto que pongo al final, veo a Aurora Vazquez, no se quien es esa señora, seguro que no la conozco, que no tiene nada que ver conmigo, pero en ese momento, tengo un sentimiento de familiaridad, esa señora me resulta familiar, seguramente alguna hermana o prima suya formó parte de mi vida cuando era niña.

Ese sentimiento, esa familiaridad que encuentro en varias de las fotos del album, es lo que me mantiene atada a este foro, el saber que de la comunidad que existia en Castrillon a principios del S XX, se desgajó la mitad y se ubicaron en W Va. Y en los años 50, seguramente que en el entorno de aquellas ciudades, muchas de las familias de Castrillón hubiesen tenido la misma cantidad de familiares, y por supuesto de amigos, que en Piedras Blancas, Arnao o Salinas.

--------------------------
trans. Art

For God's sake, Art! With the amount of things that were written in recent days about this website, and you have to go out and find that very one. I article is embarrassing from beginning to end, a way of filling up space a periodical which -- luckily -- doesn't have much reach. :oops: :oops: :oops:

In the film by Luis Argeo, it was moving to see Ron, with a calm and harmonious voice, explaining his nostalgia for Asturias. They walk past houses, and he tells us which family lived in each one of them. Luis Argeo inserts questions from behind the camera and pieces of old films from the Ron's collection. In one of them, which must have been taken the same day as this photo that I'll add below, I see Aurora Vazquez. I don't know who this lady is. I'm sure that I do not know her and that she does not have anything to do with me, but in that moment I sensed a familiarity. That lady is familiar to me. Surely some sister or cousin of hers was part of my life when she was young.

That feeling, that familiarity which I encounter in several of the photos of the album, is what keeps me tied to this forum, the knowledge that of the community that once existed in Castrillón at the beginning of 20th century, was torn in half and and [that other half] was ended up in WV. And in the 1950s, surely many of the families of Castrillón had had the same number of relatives, and by all means of friends, in the area around those [WV] cities, as they did in Piedras Blancas, Arnao, or Salinas.
"Comienza tu día con una sonrisa, verás lo divertido que es ir por ahí desentonando con todo el mundo."
Mi amiguita Libertad ________Image

Return to “Events - Acontecimientos”