Marijo & Margie Clark -- I'm a Newbie here!!!

If you can't figure out where else to post, say it here.<br>
Si no sabes dónde poner tu tema, pongalo aquí.

Moderator: Moderators

Marijo

Marijo & Margie Clark -- I'm a Newbie here!!!

Post by Marijo »

Hello Everyone!!!

My name is Marijo... I'm on this site mainly for my Grandma, Margie Clark. I just found the "Asturians in Spelter" video on You Tube that my cousin Ronnie had sent to my Grandma and was in shock!!! From reading the Forum I've seen a few people that I remember while growing up from visiting Spelter. The last time I saw most of these people I wasn't even a teenager! I know that I still have family that lives in Spain... I of course have never ever met them and I want to change that some day... hopefully soon. My Grandma is still in touch with people from Spelter so like I said, I'm on here to help her with that. My Aunt and Uncle still live in Spelter too... so we are still connected to the area. While watching the video on You Tube, Luis had mentioned his Great-Uncle... Constantino "Tango" Fernandez... well, that's my Great-Grandpa. He also shows video of Mary "Chon" Fernandez's grave site... my Great-Grandma (aka: my Whelita!!!). I was lucky enough to of known both my Great-Grandparents, as my daughters are lucky enough to know their Great-Grandparents. Any messages that you might want my Grandma, Margaret Clark, to see... I will happily send them her way. She's not exactly computer savvy but hearing of this site is very important to her... so I, being a wonder Grand-daughter, am here to help.

I hope that everyone is having a fantastic week and will continue to have a great weekend and wonderful holiday.

Marijo

p.s. I'm glad that there is a "cook-book" part of the forum... I'm learning how to cook and I need some good ole' spanish food!

-----------------------------------------
Transl. Terechu

Hola a todos! Me llamo Marijo... entré en esta página principalmente por mi abuela, Margie Clark. Acabo de ver el video "Asturians in Spelter" en You Tube que mi primo Ronnie envió a mi abuela y estoy alucinada. Al leer en el foro he visto a varias personas que recuerdo de cuando iba a Spelter de niña. La última vez que los ví ni siquiera era adolescente todavía! Sé que todavía tengo familia en España...claro que nunca he llegado a conocerlos y quisiera que eso cambiara algún día...espero que pronto. Mi abuela sigue en contacto con gente de Spelter también, así que seguimos conectados con esa zona. Al ver el video en YouTube, Luis menciona a su tío abuelo... Constantino "Tano" Fernández...bueno, pues era mi bisabuelo. También se ve la tumba de Mary "Chon" Fernández...my bisabuela (también conocida como "whelita!!!). Tuve la suerte de conocer a mis dos bisbuelos, como también la tienen mis hijas al conocer los suyos.
Si tenéis algún mensaje que queráis que vea mi abuela, Margaret Clark, yo se lo enviaré con mucho gusto. Aunque no tiene mucha idea de informática, saber que existe esta página es muy importante para ella, de manera, siendo la supernieta que soy, aquí estoy para hechar una mano.

Espero que todo el mundo tenga una semana fantástica, que continúe con un gran fin de semana y maravillosas fiestas.

Marijo

p.d. Me encanta que haya una sección de cocina en el foro...estoy aprendiendo a cocinar y necesito comida española de toda la vida.
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Hello Marijo and welcome!

Just a few lines to let you know that the full documentary includes footage of your great-grandpa Tano in his youth, unless I'm very much mistaken, he looked like a jolly, friendly, fun-loving guy.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Welcome, Marijo and Margie!

You said that Mary "Chon" Fernandez, your Great-Grandma was called "Whelita." That's almost certainly a variation on güela and güelita, which is Asturian for grandmother, similar to the Castilian "abuela." I think the spelling has been Americanized. We don't use the ü in English, but "güe" would have a "w"-like sound.

Given this, it's pretty clear that your family spoke some Asturian!

---------------------

¡Bienvenidos, Marijo y Margie!

Escribiste que Mary "Chon" Fernández, tu bisabuela tenía el mote de "Whelita". Es casí seguro que éste es una variación de güela y güelita, que son asturianu para "grandmother", como "abuela" en castellano. Creo que la ortografía ha sido americanizado. No usamos ü en inglés, pero "güe" tendría un sonido parecido a "w".

Dado éste, es bastante evidente que tu familía hablaba al menos un poco de asturianu.
Marijo

Post by Marijo »

Hello...

I don't remember my Great-Grandpa very well... he passed when I was 2. I sort of remember him but mainly from looking at pictures. Yes, I do know that Whelita is the english spelling version for Grandmother. Thanks for the comments! Margie and I look forward to keeping in touch!!! Oh, Margie's last name is Clark, not Cook :) She asked for you to change that :) Hope your all doing well.

Marijo
Bob

Post by Bob »

My dad, born in Spelter in 1917, remembers Tano and Chon very well. We met one of their daughters at the First Symposium on the Asturian Presence in the US in February, and we met a woman in Asturias who knew them too. We encountered her near the church of Samartín de Laspra in 1999.

My family used a different diminutive for grandmother, güelina.
Marijo

Post by Marijo »

Happy Friday!!!

Art... I told my Grandma what you had said about the spelling of Whelita and she said that you are very correct. She actually told me that our family started changing the spelling when I was young enough to start writting (which happens to be after my Great-Grandpa passed). She also told me that you had asked her about some pictures... you weren't sure who people were.

Bob... My Grandma remembers you!!! You met Margie... Mary and Tano's only daughter. She loved going to that at Rollins College... she still talks about it!

Have a great weekend!
Marijo

Return to “General Discussion - Discusión general”