Xíriga in Llanes - the secret jargon of the brickmakers

Vocabulary & grammar of Asturian & Bable, comparisons with Castilian.<br>
Vocabulario y gramática de asturianu y bable, comparaciones con castellano

Moderator: Moderators

Terechu

Xíriga in Llanes - the secret jargon of the brickmakers

Post by Terechu »

En Llanes se han celebrado unas jornadas dedicadas a la "Xíriga", la jerga profesional de los tejeros o tamargos llaniscos (que se iban a las tejeras castellanas en invierno), que está a punto de desaparecer. En este enlace podéis ver una foto de los participantes: como los últimos de Filipinas. Es una pena, porque la xíriga sirvió a más de un llanisco encarcelado por los franquistas para escribir a sus familias cartas "encriptadas" y los Guardias Civiles y carceleros, que solían ser de otras provincias, ni se enteraban.

http://www.lne.es/oriente/1562/concejo- ... 97025.html
[Art: I've fixed the link, but the photo is no longer shown with the article. LNE has changed their computer system, didn't provide a way to redirect it's old links, something that should have been fairly easy.]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Llanes has hosted a "Xíriga" workshop the last couple of weeks, xíriga being the professional jargon of the brickmakers or "Tamargos" of this county (they used to spend the winters in the brickyards of Castille), which is about to disappear. You can see a photo of the participants under this link: a handful like those who took the last stand in the Philippines. It's really a pity, because the "Xíriga" allowed many Llaniscos jailed during the Franco regime to write home encrypted letters, which the Civil Guards and jailers, who were usually from outside Asturias, did not censor because they had no clue what it meant.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Terechu, would the last name "Tamargo" indicate that someone in the family was a brickworker, probably several hundred years ago?

--------------------------

¿Terechu, si alguien tiene al apellido de "Tamargo", indica que un antepasado de la familia era un tejero, quizás hace unos siglos?
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

That's right, Art. the "Tamargos" were not just any brickworkers, they were specifically the ones of East Asturian counties (mostly Llanes, Onís and Cabrales). The Tamargos were really small cattle farmers and shepherds who tended their livestock and meadows in summer and in winter (with the cows in the stables) and no grass to cut, they left their wives and children to look after the farm and went to "Castilla", mostly to the brickyards of today's Cantabria and León.
So if you know anyone by the surname Tamargo, regardless where he is from, he's descending from one of these Eastern Asturian brickmakers.

--------------------------------------------------
Así es, Art. Los tamargos no eran unos tejeros cualquiera, eran específicamente los de los concejos orientales de Asturias (mayormente Llanes, Onís y Cabrales). Los tamargos eran normalmente pequeños ganaderos y pastores que en verano se dedicaban a la siega de los prados y a cuidar de sus animales que subían "al puerto" y en invierno, con las vacas en la cuadra, dejaban la casería en manos de sus mujeres e hijos y se iban a "Castilla", a las tejeras de lo que hoy serían Cantabria y León.
O sea que si conoces a alguien que se apellide Tamargo, da igual de dónde sea, es descendiente de uno de estos tejeros del oriente de Asturias.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Here's an interesting link for xíriga (jerga), including some vocabulary (with translations into castellano), relationship of numbers to the Basque langugae, songs, etc:

http://www.celtiberia.net/articulo.asp?id=2093
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

I was reading an article the other day about the Irish Travelers, who have/had a similar lifestyle to the Tamargos. (The Travelers are often known in the US for cheating retired people by taking their money in driveway recoating scams.) The article indicated that they had a distinct language, perhaps much like the Tamargos do.

Interestingly, it also said that "tinker" and "knack" are considered highly insulting terms (in Ireland, I believe). Similarly, in American English, the word "gyp" (used as a noun or verb) is a shortening of "gypsy." So there's another itinerant group with it's own language and an unpleasant social position.

These things all reminded me of the speakers of Bron from Miranda (near Avilés) who were itinerant tinkers. We've talked about them here:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=80

Then reading a little further in that previous asturianUS.org thread, I saw that the older dictionary definition of "argot" were associated with tramps, criminals, beggars, thieves, and the like. In a recent dictionary, the word "argot" is less negative, referring to "the specialized vocabulary and idioms of those in the same work, way of life, etc."

All this got me to wondering if nomadic peoples are always feared and looked down upon by the sedentary, and if the use of a distinct language is often related to being a social outcast. Maybe a distinct language was necessary for survival in a hostile environment?

---------------

Leía un artículo el otro día sobre los "Irish Travelers" [viajeros irlandeses], que tienen/tenían una forma de vida similar a los Tamargos. (Los Travelers están conocido a menudo en los E.E.U.U. por estafar a los jubilados de su dinero con un chanchullo relacionado con el revestimiento de sus "driveways" [entradas de calzada particular].) El artículo indicó que tienen una lengua distinta, quizás como los Tamargos.

Me interesa que también dijo que (en Irlanda, creo) se consideran altamente insultante los términos "tinker" [calderero] y "knack" [no sé esta palabra; quizás es parecido con "knacker" que es un matarife de caballos o uno que comprar estructuras viejos para desmontarlas por sus componentes]. Semejantemente, en inglés americano, la palabra "gyp" (usado como un sustantivo o verbo) es un acortamiento del "gypsy" [gitano]. Pues, es otro grupo ambulante que pose una lengua distinta y una posición social desagradable.

Estas cosas me recordaron a los hablantes de Bron de Miranda (cerca de Avilés) que eran caldereros itinerantes. Hemos hablado de ellos aquí: http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=80

Entonces leyendo un poco más lejos en ese hilo anterior de asturianUS.org, vi que un vieja definición de diccionario del "argot" [jerga] fue asociada a los vagabundos, a los criminales, a los mendigos, a los ladrones, y a los similares. En un diccionario reciente, la palabra "argot" es menos negativa, refiriendo "al vocabulario especializado y los idiomas de ésos con el mismo trabajo, manera de la vida, etc."

Todo el este consiguió que me preguntó si la gente sedentaria siempre teme a los nómadas y si les menosprecia, y si el uso de una lengua distinta se relaciona con ser un marginado social. ¿Tal vez una lengua distinta era necesaria para la supervivencia en un ambiente hostil?
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Bob wrote:Here's an interesting link for xíriga (jerga), including some vocabulary (with translations into castellano), relationship of numbers to the Basque langugae, songs, etc:

http://www.celtiberia.net/articulo.asp?id=2093
Very, very interesting site! For professional translators this is actually like going on a treasure hunt. I found the following words in xíriga that I have heard many times but never knew what they meant:

Xaramagu = Galician. I wonder if Portugal's Nobel Prize winner José Saramago knows about this very likely origin of his surname :lol:

Manflús = tobacco

Flus = cigarette. Oddly enough in the field of welding material the word "flux" in English refers to the dust produced by the welding rods. Any welders out there? It's interesting that the Tamargos used it for cigarettes ages before welding was invented.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Una página muy interesante! Para un traductor profesional es como ir en busca de un tesoro. Encontré las siguientes palabras en xíriga que yo ya había muchas veces sin saber qué significaba:

Xaramagu = gallego. Sabrá el Nobel portugués José Saramago de este probable origen de su apellido?

Manflús = tabaco

Flus = cigarrillo. Lo curioso que en el campo de la metalurgia la palabra inglesa "Flux" se refiere al polvo que dejan los electrodos de soldadura. ¿Hay algún soldador por ahí? Es muy interesante que los tamargos la usaran para los cigarrillos, mucho antes de que se hubiera inventado la soldadura.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Hi, Terechu,

Flus is an interesting word.

I do a little metalwork. (It's fun being an artist.) "Flux" comes from the Latin "fluxus" which means "flow." In it's technical context, flux is a substance used to promote fusion of metals or minerals. Flux can clean the surfaces, keep them free of oxidation, and (depending on the method) encourage the spread of the material that joins the separate pieces or encourages the union.

Flux has been used for centuries in metalwork. Rosin has been used as a flux with the soldering process since antiquity, I think.

I wonder if "flus" [cigarette] is related to "flow" in a psychological sense?

-------------------------------------

Hola, Terechu,

"Flus" es una palabra interesante. Hago un poco de trabajo en metales. (Es divertido ser artista.) El "flux" [no veo un traducción] viene del "fluxus" de latín que significa "fluir". En el contexto técnico, flux es una sustancia usada para promover la fusión de metales o de minerales. El flux puede limpiar las superficies, las mantiene libres de oxidación, y (dependiendo del método) animar la extensión del material que une las piezas separadas o que estimula la unión.

Flux se ha utilizado por siglos en metalwork. La resina se ha utilizado como flux con el proceso de soldadura desde antigüedad, creo.

¿Me pregunto si la "flus" [cigarrillo] se relacionan con el "flujo" en un sentido psicologico?
Last edited by Art on Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Art
We used Flux by the bags at Spelter zinc works , made a lot of smoke
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Thanks, Art, I knew about "fluxus" (flujo in Spanish), but never saw the connection. I love these threads where people post a little bit each and we finally understand the whole!

Ron said the magic words: flux makes a lot of smoke, as do cigarettes!!!
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Hello Terechu

I don't know what Tamargo did for a living. I was six years old when he passed. He had one son who has also passed. I do remember something about a store that he owned or maybe he worked there. I do remember the family talking about a horse he had, a big white horse he would ride around town on.
rebusquinos

Terechu y Saramago...

Post by rebusquinos »

Hola Terechu:
Quería comentarte que "xaramagos" en gallego, son los "jaramagos" de Castilla y los "aramagos" de Andalucía, unas plantas muy comunes en el campo ibérico que dan una flor amarilla. En asturiano no sé cómo se llaman, pero en portugués son "saramagos", y al escritor le viene el nombre por mote o apodo de la familia de su padre, pero le viene de su propia lengua, no tiene que acudir a la xíriga para encontrar el origen...
Terechu

Re: Terechu y Saramago...

Post by Terechu »

rebusquinos wrote:Hola Terechu:
Quería comentarte que "xaramagos" en gallego, son los "jaramagos" de Castilla y los "aramagos" de Andalucía, unas plantas muy comunes en el campo ibérico que dan una flor amarilla. En asturiano no sé cómo se llaman, pero en portugués son "saramagos", y al escritor le viene el nombre por mote o apodo de la familia de su padre, pero le viene de su propia lengua, no tiene que acudir a la xíriga para encontrar el origen...
Hola Rebusquinos: usted perdone, era lo que traía el diccionario. Supongo que la planta será lo mismo que aquí. Creo que aquí llamamos xaramagu a la mostaza blanca, una especie de colza silvestre que crece en las cunetas y solares abiertos (en los prados no prospera) que les gusta mucho a los canarios (a los pájaros), o por lo menos a los que tenía mi abuelo. Es curioso que sea un apellido...en fin.
stamargo

the things you learn

Post by stamargo »

I'd never heard that origin of the family name, nor about the disappearing language of my ancestors. The research process has a long way yet to go, I fear, but it will be interesting...

Stephen Tamargo
Maestro Tomberi

Post by Maestro Tomberi »

Por lo que yo sé, la xíriga es hablada fundamentalmente por albañiles llaniscos. Éstos; a su vez, siempre han sido reticentes a la hora de enseñarsela a cualquiera, dado que gracias a este lenguaje pueden mantener conversaciones que les pueden pasar inadvertidas a sus patrones.

No es que yo sepa gran cosa respecto a ello, pero conozco a gente que la habla y me ha parecido interesante ampliar este hilo y que no se convierta en un necro-hilo.

De momento lo que si tengo aquí es el Wikienlace:
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/X%C3%ADriga

------------------------
trans. Art

As far as I know, Xiriga is spoken mainly by brickmakers from Llanes (and nearby counties). These folks, in turn, have always been reticent to teach it to anyone, because using this language they can hold conversations go unnoticed by their employers.

Not that I know much about Xiriga, but I know people who speak it and I thought it interesting to extend this thread and not let it become a dead thread.

So far what I have is the Wiki link:
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/X%C3%ADriga

Return to “Asturian & Bable - Asturianu y bables”