Spanish citizenship is extended to grandchildren

Asturian cultural identity, Spanish nationality, & return to Asturias: legal, social, & personal aspects.<br>
Identidad cultural asturiana, nacionalidad española, y regreso a Asturias: cuestiones legales, sociales, y personales.

Moderator: Moderators

Terechu

Spanish citizenship is extended to grandchildren

Post by Terechu »

LINK TO ARTICLE

According to this article, the grandchildren of Spanish nationals born abroad will be entitled to Spanish citizenship as soon as this new bill is passed. (For instant translation of the article, click on right mouse button, go to "Page Info" and then "Translate into English").
I know many of you are eligible, so this might be of interest to you.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

trans. Art

The Government extends the Spanish nationality to the grandchildren of emigrants
El País - Madrid - 2/10/2007

The Cabinet approved yesterday the modification of several articles of the Civil Code to extend the possibility of acquiring the Spanish nationality to the grandchildren of Spanish emigrants born abroad. The modifications of the Civil Code have been included in the first draft of la Ley de Adopción Internacional (International Law of Adoption).

As the minister of Justice, Juan Fernando Lopez Aguilar, explained in the press conference following the Cabinet meeting, although it is impossible to estimate the number of people who would take advantage of these measure, there are many who hope to be able to recover this bond with Spain, of which the majority will do it in a manner of dual nationality, Efe reported.

The initiative was fulfills a mandate of the Parliament that was included in the Law of 16 of December of 2006 called the "Estatuto de los Derechos de los españoles en el extranjero" [Statute of the Rights of Spaniards outside the country]. In the opinion of Lopez Aguilar, this Statute supposes "an indicator of the quality and consistency of the constitutional patriotism" that is supposed to guard the rights of the citizens "whether they are or are not in Spain." The current Civil Code requires that, to choose Spanish nationality, the father or the mother of the anyone asking for nationality must have originally been Spanish and, in addition, they had to have been born in Spain. Thus, the grandchildren of Spanish emigrants whose parents had not been born in Spain could not gain access to nationality.

... [additional text that is unrelated]

----------------------
texto original aquí

El Gobierno extiende la nacionalidad española a los nietos de emigrantes
EL PAÍS - Madrid - 10/02/2007

El Consejo de Ministros aprobó ayer la modificación de varios artículos del Código Civil para extender a los nietos de emigrantes españoles nacidos en el extranjero la posibilidad de adquirir la nacionalidad española. Las modificaciones del Código Civil han sido incluidas en el anteproyecto de Ley de Adopción Internacional.

Según explicó el ministro de Justicia, Juan Fernando López Aguilar, en la rueda de prensa posterior al Consejo, aunque no se puede cifrar el número de personas que pueden acogerse a la medida, serán muchos "los esperanzados en poder recuperar este vínculo" con España, de los que la mayoría lo harán en régimen de doble nacionalidad, informa Efe.

La iniciativa responde al cumplimiento de un mandato del Parlamento que recogía la Ley de 16 de diciembre de 2006 denominada Estatuto de los Derechos de los españoles en el extranjero. A juicio de López Aguilar, este Estatuto supone "un indicador de la calidad y consistencia del patriotismo constitucional" que supone velar por los derechos de los ciudadanos "estén o no en España". El Código Civil vigente exige que, para optar a la nacionalidad española, el padre o la madre de quien la solicite debe ser originariamente español y, además, que haya nacido en España. Así, los nietos de emigrantes españoles cuyos padres no habían nacido en España no podían acceder a la nacionalidad.

Otros acuerdos del Consejo de Ministros fueron:

- Convenios con Eslovenia y Lituania. El Consejo ha autorizado la firma de un convenio con Eslovenia de cooperación en materia de lucha contra la delincuencia organizada en sus diversas manifestaciones. Se enumeran, en primer lugar, 17 tipos delictivos, encabezados por el terrorismo, en los que se centrará dicha colaboración. Respecto a Lituania, el acuerdo se basa en la detección, investigación y prevención del delito. Se establece intercambio de información y establecimiento de equipos conjuntos.

- Escuela de Policía de Ávila. El Consejo de Ministros ha aprobado una ampliación del proyecto de reforma del Centro de Formación de la Escuela de Policía de Ávila por una cuantía de 8.235.652,60 euros. En total, se invertirán en la ampliación de la academia 28.347.693,17 euros.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Thanks, Terechu. That's pretty exciting!

Gracias, Terechu. ¡Éste es emocionante!
joserafael

Post by joserafael »

This is super news! I had started the process of "empadronamiento" to fulfill the one year residency for grandchildren of Spanish nationals but I see I will not have to proceed with this process.

Arte,

Perhaps we should start a new thread for this express purpose i.e. assisting the grandchildren of Spanish citizens gain their citizenship with this new law. I realize it will take a while but the more information we can post on this, the better it will be for those of us who are opting for Spanish citizenship.

Terechu, a thousand thanks for your posting.

joserafael
joserafael

Post by joserafael »

Friends,

I have come across this website which may provide additional info for us the grandchildren of Spanish citizens.

http://groups.msn.com/nietosporlaciudadania

joserafael
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Joserafael, the "empadronamiento" at your local town hall or "ayuntamiento" is still a good idea, local authorities ask no questions because every town and city wants a large census to get more tax funds. Being on the local register is a must if you have children, as schools and nurseries require this certificate.

Also, while this amendment has been approved, the bill itself has yet to be passed and it might be another year or so before it comes into effect.

Cheers!
joserafael

Post by joserafael »

terechu,

I was under the impression from the articles which have reported on this matter that the the ministry of justice has 4-6 months to work out the details of this issue. As I read it, the changes were required by the law back in december 2006 and the revision is now mandated with action required by the MOJ. Let me know if this understanding is flawed. If flawed, I may cosider proceeding with the empadronmiento/residency approach to be safe.

joserafael
joserafael

Revisions have been approved for changes to nationality law

Post by joserafael »

To all:

This is the moment many of us have been awaiting. The Spanish government has approved changes to the "codigo civil" which will allow grandchildren of Spaniards who emigrated to opt for Spanish citizenship WITHOUT the one year residency in Spain.

Art and Bob this is it!!!

Not much in details but looks promising. here is a link:

http://www.la-moncloa.es/ConsejodeMinis ... m#Adopción

go down to Disposicion adicional

All the best

Joserafael
joserafael

Slight modification of prior posting

Post by joserafael »

On further follow-up I note that things are not exactly as have been reported in the press. The law has been approved by the Spanish Senate. It now must be approved by the Spanish Congress. It is hoped they will do this in July before going off on vacation. All political parties have supported this effort so it is expected to be a "shoe in".

Best wishes to all
NZraul

Post by NZraul »

This is fantastic news!

Now, as I am the grandson of parents born in Puerto Rico prior to the Spanish-American War, the question will be whether or not a Spanish consulate office will consider this enough to reclaim Spanish citizenship?

As Puerto Rico was considered part of Spain when the Constitution 1873-1874 was established, then lost in 1898, anyone born between those years would be considered Spanish citizens?

De bajo de la Constitución de la Primera República (1873-1874),

TITULO I: De la nación española

Artículo I: Componen la Nación española los Estados de Andalucía Alta, Andalucía Baja, Aragón, Asturias, Baleares, Canarias, Castilla la Nueva, Castilla la Vieja, Cataluña, Cuba, Extremadura, Galicia, Murcia, Navarra, Puerto Rico, Valencia, Regiones Vascongadas
joserafael

Post by joserafael »

Raul,

I have been in contact with the Spanish Consulate in New York as well as in San Juan. I have obtained my paternal grandparents baptismal and death certificates. Seems like it should be straightforward, however, I expect some setbacks.

First, as things currently stand, one would contact the Spanish consulate where one lives. The consulate will process the papers and send the paperwork to the Spanish consulate in San Juan which will verify that your grandfather's documents are in order. Once that is done, the verification papers are returned back to the Spanish consulate in your city which will forward them to Madrid for final disposition based on the recommendation of your local consulate's homework.

The problem I anticipate is that the Consulate may be inclined to determine that our grandparents have lost their nationality making us ineligible for opting for nationality under any scheme. I was told that my grandfather had to have asserted his right to retaining his spanish citizenship in 1899 under the Treaty of Paris. This is foolishness. The language of the treaty notes that only Spaniards born on the Iberian peninsula had the duty of registrying with the Spanish Consulate in 1899. If your grandfather like mine was born in Puerto Rico while it was a Province, they had no such requirement. I point this out to highlight the fact that this type of misunderstanding may make it necessary for us to use counsel to make the request.

The Spanish Consulate in NY informed me that should it be determined that I am not eligible because in their determination my grandfather lost his nationality, I would be able to appeal to Madrid. I think our situation is a very unique one. I doubt the Spanish government had considered that Puerto Ricans being Americans would have any interest in opting for Spanish nationality(it seems the major worries are regarding Cubans, Mexicans, Bolivians and Argentinians). Thus, it may take a bit of homework on their part to sort the nationality issue as it pertains to Puerto Ricans like us. I think there are very few eligible Puerto Ricans who would have any interest in pursuing Spanish nationality.

Ultimately, I believe we will prevail as the proposed reform does not appear to require our grandfathers to have maintained their Spanish nationality at the time of our father's birth. What it requires is that our grandfather be spanish of origen. Furthermore, it appears that the requirement that our fathers recouperate their nationality so as to make us eligible is also not required under the current reform.

All in all, I think things look great for us. We should be prepared to expect some resistance. BTW, the current processing time for those seeking nationality via the residency is 18-24 months. Thankfully, neither one of us is in a country where it is anticipated that the number of applications will be overwhelming. Contact me via email for further issues.

joserafael
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Thanks for the update, José Rafael. This could be fantastic!

NZRaul, your chances sound promising. I think it's worth trying.

------------------------

Gracias por ponernos al día, José Rafael. ¡Podría ser estupendo!

NZRaul, me parece que haya bastantes chances que ganes ciudadanía. Vale la pena intentar.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

http://www.la-moncloa.es/ConsejodeMinistros/Referencias/_2007/refc20070615.htm#Adopci wrote:Disposición adicional

En la Ley de Adopción Internacional se incluye una disposición adicional que modifica varios artículos del Código Civil. Esta disposición permitirá que los nietos de españoles nacidos en el extranjero puedan adquirir la nacionalidad española. Con esta reforma se permite que los hijos de españoles, que no nacieron en España, pues sus padres y abuelos emigraron del país en el pasado, puedan llegar a adquirir la nacionalidad española.

El Código civil aún vigente exige, para optar a la nacionalidad española, que el padre o madre de quien la solicite haya sido originariamente español y, además, que haya nacido en España. Con esta exigencia, los nietos de emigrantes españoles cuyos padres no hayan nacido en España no pueden acceder a la nacionalidad española. La reforma del Código Civil que se persigue con esta Ley elimina el requisito del nacimiento en territorio español de los padres, con lo cual, se permite que sus hijos, nietos del español que emigró, puedan acceder a la nacionalidad española.

De esta manera el Gobierno da cumplimiento al mandato que recogía el "Estatuto de los Derechos de los españoles en el extranjero", de 16 de diciembre de 2006.

Se modifican también los apartados 3 y 6 y se adicionan dos nuevos apartados al artículo 172 del Código civil, para determinar el plazo -dos años desde la notificación de la resolución administrativa por la que se declare el desamparo- para que los padres soliciten el cese de la suspensión de la patria potestad y la revocación de la declaración de desamparo.

Se modifican los artículos 779, 780 y b 781 de la Ley de Enjuiciamiento Civil para dar preferencia y agilizar los procedimientos judiciales en materia de protección de menores.

Con el fin de eliminar la histórica diferenciación de trato de los hijos, fundada tan sólo en razones de género, se introduce un nuevo artículo 20 bis permitiendo optar a la nacionalidad española de origen a los hijos de española que no hubieran podido adquirir esta nacionalidad por haber seguido la nacionalidad extranjera del padre, según lo dispuesto en el artículo 17 del Código Civil, vigente antes de la entrada en vigor de la Constitución.
rojiniec

Post by rojiniec »

I have just joined today....because I was interested in the topic posted about grandchildren of Spaniards being able to get Spanish citizenship. I wonder if anyone can advice me ...I am helping my mother in law obtain her Spanish citizenship but don't know where to start. Her Grandmother was a Spaniard married to a Filipino. Her father was born in the Philippines but late in his life was able to get his Spanish citizenship with the help of my mother in law who flew to Spain and worked out his documents . I think he got it via an amnesty... I'm not sure but she was also able to work out the citizenship of her 2 younger 1/2 siblings. unforunately she was told she was too old. Currently she would like to get her citizenship but feels it is too complicated. I would like to help her and maybe if she can get it her son and daughter may be able to get it too. Would appreciate anyones advice on how to start.
rojiniec
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Welcome, Rojiniec!

I don't know the current status, but my understanding was that it hasn't completed the legislative process yet. I'd wait until the legislation is approved by the Cortes and takes effect (which may be at a later date). If this is like laws in the US, there may also be a delay while the administrative agencies decide how to implement the new law.

Of course, the simplest solution might be to contact a Spanish lawyer who specializes in this matter.

-----------------------

¡Bienvenido, Rojiniec!

No sé la situación actual, pero creo que no se ha terminado el proceso legislativo todavía. Esperaría hasta que la legislación es aprobada por el Cortes y surte efecto (lo que puede tardar unos meses). Si es como el proceso legislativo estadounidense, puede también retrasar mientras que las agencias administrativas deciden a cómo implementar la nueva ley.

Por supuesto, la solución más simple sea contactar a un abogado español que se especialice en este asunto.

Return to “Identity, Nation, Return - Identidad, país, vuelta”