FAQFAQ          SearchSearch          MemberlistMemberlist          UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile          Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages          Log inLog in          
Question about Ellis Island Passenger list

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Asturian-American Migration Forum Index -> Genealogy - Genealogía
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sweeney

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 2:31 pm    Post subject: Question about Ellis Island Passenger list Reply with quote

Hi,

I think I located my Grandmother's brother, Guillermo Verdin, in the Ellis Island register. He arrived on Sept 9, 1920. On the ship's passenger log it states he was going to join Brother Politico Julio Ovies in Spelterville, Indiana.

What does Brother Politico mean? Does it mean brother-in-law?

By-the-way, if you are researching family from Salinas in the Ellis Island site; whoever transcribed the Ellis Island log often mistaken the word "Salinas" as "Salmas".
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, "politico/a" means "-in-law."

I'm intrigued by the "Spelter" in Spelterville, IN. Do you know if they had a zinc or chemical plant there?

It struck me as odd that there would be both "Spelter" WV and IN. That got me to wondering if "spelter" is rellted to the word "smelter"?

So, I looked it up. Yes, although it's not exactly "smelting," it is related! "Spelter" is "zinc, especially zinc cast in slabs for commercial use."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Asturian-American Migration Forum Index -> Genealogy - Genealogía All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: