Piedras Blancas

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

Bob

Post by Bob »

The government records--Registro Civil--began about 1871 in most regions in Spain. The records for Castrillón still exist. One of our members reported that there is no Registro Civil in Piedras Blancas, the country seat of Castrillón, but that they are kept in Avilés. In any event, I was successful in obtaining copies for birth and death certificates for some of my ancestors from Castrillón through the Registro Civil. It took quite a few months to get a response to my inquiry, but I ultimately got a good response. I addressed my request to Registro Civil, Castrillón, Spain, and it ultimately got to someone who could look up the records and make copies for me. There was no charge for making copies of the records, which were sent to me through the Spanish Embassy. By the way, it helps to write in Spanish or to have someone translate your letter into Spanish.

The church records for Salinas are in the parish of San Martín de Laspra. The current Salinas parish of Nuestra Señora del Carmen didn't exist until the mid-1950's.

Jomaguca is correct. His cousin (and mine) Donna Sweeney has had quite a bit of success in get copies of family records, even though she is American and does not speak Spanish.

------------------------
Traducido por Leto

Los archivos del gobierno (Registro Civil) empiezan en 1871 en la mayoría de las regiones españolas. Uno de los miembros del foro ya dijo que no existe Registro Civil en Piedras Blancas, el ayuntamiento de Castrillón, pero los archivos se encuentran en Avilés. De todas formas, yo conseguí copias de los certificados de nacimiento y defunción de algunos de mis antepasados de Castrillón a través del Registro Civil. Llevó unos meses conseguir una respuesta a mi solicitud, pero al final la conseguí. Envié mi solicitud al Registro Civil, Castrillón, España, y al final llegó a alguien que pudo mirar los ficheros y hacer las copias por mí. No hubo que pagar gastos por las copias de los documentos, que me fueron enviadas a través de la Embajada Española. Por cierto, ayuda escribir en español y tener a alguien que traduzca tu carta al español.

Los registros eclesiásticos de la zona de Salinas están en la parroquia de San Martín de Laspra. La actual parroquia de Salinas, Nuestra Señora del Carmen, no existió hasta mediados de los 50.

Jomaguca está en lo cierto. Su prima (y mía también) Donna Sweeney tiene mucho éxito en conseguir copias de archivos de familia, incluso cuando ella es americana y no habla español.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Here is the address and phone numbers for the Registro Civil in Avilés.

Telephone: 985 520 463
Fax: 985 521 094

Address: Marcos del Torniello, 27
Avilés, Asturias, España

This office deals with the following regions: Avilés, Castrillón, Corvera de Asturias, Gozón, and Illas.

Good luck.

------------------------
Traducido por Leto

Aquí está la dirección y los teléfonos del Registro Civil en Avilés.

Teléfono: +34 985 520 463
Fax: +34 985 521 094

Cirección: Marcos del Torniello, 27
Avilés, Asturias, España

Esta oficina atienda las siguientes reginones: Avilés, Castrillón, Corvera de Asturias, Gozón, e Illas.

Buena suerte
Selina Gonzalez Williams

Post by Selina Gonzalez Williams »

Tony,
What was your mother's name? My mother was born in a town near Santa Maria del Mar. She was from Naveces. I can ask her if she remembers her.
Selina
TONY

Great Grandparents

Post by TONY »

My great-grandmother's name was Rafaela Rodriguez and her husband was Angel Garcia, both common names. Unfortunately, they left Spain circa 1899!

She actually brought over her elderly parents, as was somewhat the common practice for Spanish and Italians. I'm not sure how much more information I may glean from church and civil records, maybe it is worth the try.
Sweeney

Re: Sources, hints, guide to Asutrian family records in Astu

Post by Sweeney »

Donald_Garcia wrote:Has anyone had any success in finding information about the people that stayed behind when our families came to the states?
I have. I actually wrote everybody with the last name Verdin in Salinas and Piedras Blancas and found a number of cousins who were very helpful.

I made a thread telling how I got information from Spain: http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=268

Donna
Donna

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”