Easter Bread

Recipes for loaf breads & rolls.<br>
Recetas para barras, pan de molde, y bollos.

Moderators: almudena, Moderators

pblanco

Easter Bread

Post by pblanco »

Every year my grandmother would make Easter bread. Does anyone have the recipe? Also fried bread called buenos??(not sure of spelling or right pronunciation. Thanks for any help.
Bob

Post by Bob »

The only bread I remember my grandmother making at Easter time was called marañuelas. She made them either as rolls or as spirals filled with nuts and brown sugar. The recipe is in this forum at http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17

Bob
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

There are different types of Easter cakes or "bollu" in Asturias. In the Nalón Valley it has developed into a three-tiered, ring-shaped puffpastry cake filled with almond paste and decorated with meringue, little wafer flowers, colored feathers and tiny yellow plush chicks. It tastes great and we always buy our two god-daughters Sandra and Marta theirs at the pastry shops that makes the best: "Gersán" in Laviana and "Argüelles" in Gijón. We still call it "bollu" (loaf), but some people call it "roscón de Pascua", which is more accurate.

I believe, however, that the original "bollu" was made with regular yeast dough.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hay distintos tipos de "bollu" de Pascua en Asturias. En el valle del Nalón se ha convertido en un pastel de tres pisos, en forma de rosca, relleno de pasta de almendra, adornado con merengue, flores de oblea, plumas de colores y pollitos minúsculos de peluche.
Sabe de muerte y nosotros todos los años les compramos los suyos a nuestras ahijadas, Sandra y Marta, en las confiterías que hacen los mejores: "Gersán" en Laviana y "Argüelles" en Gijón. Nosotros aún le llamamos bollu, pero hay gente que le llama "roscón de Pascua" que es más preciso.

No obstante, creo que el "bollu" original era de masa de levadura.
stevengarcia

Easter Bread

Post by stevengarcia »

Here is my granmother's recipe for Easter Bread:

1 pound Butter
2 cups Sugar
12 eggs
2 cakes yeast
5lb flour
2 1/2 cups warm water
anise oil
powdered sugar

Cream your butter and sugar, add the eggs. Dissolve yeastinwarm water. Add to egg and butter mixture. Add flour. knead well. Let rise until doubled.

Form into balls (or as my grandmother did the shape of a cross). Bake 350.

When cool ice with a mixture of powdered sugar, milk and anise.

Note: I add a drop of anise oil to the bread mixture I don't use as many eggs and I use less flour.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Thanks, Steven. That really is a lot of flour! Wowee. :lol:

------------

Gracias, Steven. Vaya. De verdad que es muchísimo harina. :lol:
pblanco

Post by pblanco »

I am sorry I hadn't seen this last post on Easter bread. It brought a smile to my face. That is the recipe I needed.
Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou.........
Ron Gonzalez

Bread

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

I can remenber my grandmother (Aurora Arrojo Vasquez) would bake bread every Thursday. The crust was out of this world: good,good good. She would cut small pieces of chorizo, place it in the bread dough, then bake. Food of the past, but not forgotten. Thank you, grandmother.
pblanco

breads

Post by pblanco »

Yes, my grandmother also put chorizo in her buns. We as children couldn't wait for her to visit. She even taught us how to make the chorizo.
She also would make a thin pancake and serve it with sprinkled sugar on it. Lots of wonderful memories of my grandmother!!
Terechu

For pblanco

Post by Terechu »

Those thin pancakes are called "frixuelos / frisuelos / fayuelos" and there are recipes in the Dessert section of this forum.
Otherwise, you can also search the web for "crepes" - the batter is the same - and just add sprinkle that spoonfull of sugar on each.

Que aproveche! :)
jomaguca

Re: Bread

Post by jomaguca »

Hola Ron, lo qué usted dice aquí se le llama bollu preñau

--------------
trans. Art

Hi, Ron, What you've written about here is called "bollu preñau".
Ron Gonzalez

Bread

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

pblanco, yes, my grandmother also made the thin pancake. We would roll them in tube-like shape, with a cup of coffee, very good. Also she would use bread, sugar, & eggs, roll out , then fry till brown. Place in a bowl of warm milk and sugar.

My mother (Ida Vasquez Gonzalez) had a good friend by the name of Sylvia Blanco who had a brother, David. This Blanco family lived in Spelter WV (Ziesing).

Terechu, I was thinking my grandmother had a different name other than "frixuelos/ frisuelos/ fayuelos" is there another name?
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Ron, did she call it what Jomaguca calls it, "bollo/bollu preñau"?

Do any of our Asturian-speakers know what that means or how to translate it into English?

[Art: The spelling of Castilian "bollo" would be of "bollu" in Asturian.]
------------

Ron, ¿lo llamaba el nombre que lo llama Jomaguca, "bollo/bollu preñau"?

¿Saben alguno de los de hablan asturianu qué significa "bollo preñau", o cómo se lo traduce en inglés?

[Art: La ortografía de "bollo" en castellano seriá "bollu" en asturianu.]
Last edited by Art on Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Ron, I don't really know if the area west of Avilés has a different name for the frixuelos but it should be something similar, though. In Colunga they're called fayuelas for instance, and there you see the semantic origin: fayuela =foyuela = hojuela = thin sheet.

Art, the bollu preñau has nothing to do with crepes, we just got it all mixed up because Pblanco mentioned both in his post, and jomaguca and I replied to different parts of the post.

The bollu preñau translates as "pregnant roll" :lol: and I believe there are recipes on the web.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ron, no se realmente si en la zona al oeste de Avilés se usa un nombre distinto para los frixuelos, pero debería ser algo parecido. En Colunga se llaman fayuelas por ejemplo, y es donde se ve el origen semántico: fayuela = foyuela = hojuela.

Art, el boñu preñau no tiene nada que ver con los fayuelos, es que lo mezclamos todo porque Pblanco mencionó ambos en su mensaje y jomaguca y yo contestamos a distintas partes del mensaje.

El bollu preñau se traduciría como "pregnant roll" y creo que hay recetas en internet.
jomaguca

Post by jomaguca »

Hola iba a decir a Terechu qué explicara lo del bollo preñau pero yo creo qué ya está explicado ,un bollo preñau es, un bollo de pan qué tiene dentro un trozo de chorizo ó un chorizo entero,no vamos a decir un bollo embarazau, queda claro?saludos
Ron Gonzalez

Bread

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Terechu,

I talked to my cousin (Betty Mendez Martinez) in Philadelphia Pa today. She remembers better than I do that the pancakes with sugar were called "Buenlo". :oops:

Return to “Breads - Panes”