What is AsturianUS to you? / ¿Qué significa Asturianus?

If you can't figure out where else to post, say it here.<br>
Si no sabes dónde poner tu tema, pongalo aquí.

Moderator: Moderators

Mafalda

Post by Mafalda »

¡HOLA A TODOS!

Contestando a la pregunta de Art, no sabría decir exactamente el motivo, pero, a día de hoy, los ancianos de Castrillón cuando se refieren a la gente que emigró a Norteamérica a primeros del siglo XX, dicen que se fueron al "Norte"; así lo oyeron a sus padres y así lo continúan diciendo.

Supongo que a principios de siglo, decían "al Norte" por Norteamérica. Imagino que se daba por sentado que los emigrantes seguían yendo a América; antes iban al Sur y al Centro, y ahora, al "Norte".

Sabéis que Asturias, España entera, fue desde siempre tierra de emigrantes. Viajaban a Cuba, Sudamérica y Centroamérica, en realidad viajaban a "España". Buscaban fortuna y querían evitar el Servicio Militar. Allí no tenían problemas con el idioma; muchos volvieron y crearon fundaciones: escuelas cuya finalidad última era educar a nuevos emigrantes que se ocupasen de sus empresas en Ultramar (Rionda-Polledo, Álvarez Galán...).

Sin embargo, la emigración de 1903 y siguientes fueron algo distinto. Los emigrantes procedían de un territorio muy pequeño: Castrillón, Avilés, Illas y Gozón. Esta emigración fue consecuencia de las huelgas, despidos y represalias de 1903 en la R.C.A. de Minas de Arnao.

Los fundidores en la R.C.A. se fueron a trabajar de fundidores en las fábricas de West Virginia, que nunca había sido territorio español y donde se hablaba inglés. Ya no buscaban fortuna, simplemente se habían quedado sin trabajo en su tierra y se fueron a donde había demanda de mano de obra especializada.

También parece que hubo un "efecto llamada". Mujeres que se habían ido primero a Cuba y viajaron después a West Virginia, matrimonios por poderes, sobrinos, hijos, padres, acudieron a Norteamérica a reunirse con los suyos. Ya no trabajaron todos de fundidores o mineros; muchos abrieron sus propios negocios, encontraron otro tipo de trabajo, etc. Pero eso seguro que lo sabéis mejor vosotros que yo...

---------------------
trans. Art

HELLO TO ALL!

In answer to Art's question, I wouldn't be able to say why exactly, but to this day the old people from Castrillón, when they talk about the people who emigrated to North America in the early 20th century, say that they went to the "North" [el "Norte"]. That's what they heard their parents say, and that's what they continue to say.

I suppose that at the beginning of century, they said "the North" to mean North America. I imagine that this meaning came about because the emigrants were continuing to go to the Americas. Earlier they went to the South and Central [America], and then to the "North."

You know that Asturias, as well as the whole of Spain, had always been a land of emigrants. They traveled to Cuba, South America and Central America, in fact they traveled to "Spain" [in that they traveled to places under the Spanish crown and language.] They were looking for fortune and they wanted to avoid the military service. There they did not have problems with the language; many returned and created charitable foundations: schools whose ultimate purpose was to educate new emigrants who could take care of their overseas companies (Rionda-Polledo, Alvarez Gallant…).

Nevertheless, the emigration of 1903 and following was something different. The emigrants came from a very small territory: Castrillón, Avilés, Illas and Gozón. This emigration was the consequence of the strikes, dismissals and retaliation in 1903 at the R.C.A. of Mines of Arnao.

The R.C.A. zinc smelter workers left to work as smelter workers in the factories of West Virginia, and that place had never been Spanish territory and English was spoken there. [In this case, the emigrants] were no longer looking for fortune. They had simply found themselves without work in their homeland and so they went where there was a demand for their skilled labor.

Also it seems that there was a “call effect”. Women who had gone away first to Cuba and traveled later to West Virginia, marriages by proxy, nephews, children, parents, all went to North America to meet with their family members. No longer did all of them work as smelter workers or miners. Many opened their own businesses, found another type of work, etc. But I'm sure that you all know this part better than I.

[Art: This is a loose translation of Mafalda's signature] “Begin your day with a smile, and you will see how amusing it is to go about your way totally out of synch with the rest of the world.”
"Comienza tu día con una sonrisa, verás lo divertido que es ir por ahí desentonando con todo el mundo."
Mi amiguita Libertad ________Image
Art
Site Admin

Re: Keep things simple!

Post by Art »

jbarbo wrote:... Be sensitive to others who have not posted. Many of us do not wish to be placed in negative, argumentative or awkward position. We want to learn, to be informed, to inquire, to interrelate and to be treated in a polite and professional manner with the responses. Most of us understands the difficulty in most translations. "Asi es la vida!" ...

... Art, the Barbaos from Anmoore knew you and your family.
Hello, JBarbo, There's a lot in that message! Thanks for reminding us that those who don't post messages are still participating and enjoying the forum. Several times each year I meet people from the forum who never post but who visit the forum regularly. Some of us love to write and some don't. And you know which type I am!

I had no idea when we began the forum that I'd end up meeting and getting to know so many wonderful people. Those relationships and everything that I'm still learning about my grandparents' culture have made all this work worthwhile.

I'd be interested in hearing what your family from Anmoore remembered about mine. I didn't know my grandmother at all. And I barely knew my grandfather, so the stories that other families tell me are extremely important if I'm going to piece together an image of what my family was like. I've heard a range of stories from the heartwarming to the very embarrassing. But they're all stories I never would have heard otherwise, so I'm happy to hear all of them, even the embarrassing stories! If you don't feel comfortable writing the stories on the forum, you can email them to me.

-----------------------
jbarbo wrote: [trans. Art] … Sea muy consciente a otros que no han puesto mensajes. Muchos de nosotros no deseamos sentirnos en condiciones negativas, controvertidas o torpes. Deseamos aprender, ser informados, preguntar, relacionarnos y ser tratados de una manera cortesa y profesional con las respuestas. La mayor parte entendemos la dificultad en la mayoría de las traducciones. “¡Ási es la vida!” …

… Art, los Barbaos de Anmoore conocían a tí y a tu familia.

¡Hola, JBarbo, hay muchísimo en ese mensaje! Gracias por recordarnos que los que no ponen mensajes todavía participan y que gozan del foro. Varias veces cada año corro a gente del foro quienes nunca escriben mensajes pero quienes visitan el foro regularmente. A algunos de nosotros nos encantamos escribir y algunos no. ¡Y sabéis qué tipo soy!

No tenía ninguna idea cuando comenzamos el foro que nos encontraríamos tanta gente maravillosa, y que nos haríamos amigos. Esas relaciones y todo que todavía estoy aprendiendo sobre la cultura de mis abuelos merecieron todo este trabajo.

Estaría yo interesado en oir lo que tu familia de Anmoore se recordó de la mía. No conocía a mi abuela nada. Y apenas conocía a mi abuelo. Entonces las historias que otras familias me cuentan son extremadamente importante si voy a ensamblar una imagen de mi familia. He oído unas historias de toda la gama: del conmovedor al penosísimo. ¡Pero son todas historias que nunca habría oído de otra manera, así que me encanta oír todas, incluso las historias embarazosas! Si no sientes a gusto en escribir las historias en el foro, puedes enviármelos por correo electrónico.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Thanks for the very helpful reply, Mafalda.

In reading what you and Lucía (by email) have written, I'm reminded again about how unusual this one immigration story was. These emigrants were neighbors in Asturias. They knew each other before the migration. That, no doubt, helped them create an unusually tight social and familial network both with their compatriots in their new home in the US and back in the homeland, Asturias.

The memory of that Asturian network has rebuilt the connections between us today via this forum. Long live these stories!

---------------------

Gracias por la contestación tan provechosa, Mafalda.

En leer lo que tú y Lucía (por correo electrónico) hacéis escrito, me recuerda otra vez de la peculiaridad de esta historia de emigración. Estos emigrantes habían sido vecinos en Asturias. Se los conocían antes de la migración. Eso, sin duda alguna, les ayudó en crear una red social y familial inusualmente estrecha con sus compatriotas en su nuevo hogar en los EE.UU. y allá en la patria, Asturias.

La memoria de esa red asturiana ha reconstruido las conexiones entre nosotros hoy vía este foro. ¡Vivan estas historias!

Return to “General Discussion - Discusión general”