Can I Claim Spanish Nationality?

Asturian cultural identity, Spanish nationality, & return to Asturias: legal, social, & personal aspects.<br>
Identidad cultural asturiana, nacionalidad española, y regreso a Asturias: cuestiones legales, sociales, y personales.

Moderator: Moderators

Charolette

Post by Charolette »

The first copy that I had for several years, was stamped on the back just "copy". Last week I called Philadelphia and ordered a certified copy. The lady I talked to said that I could just send them the copy I already had and they would certify it or I could order a new "certified copy". Because I ordered a new one the cost was $22. I don't have it yet, but I see they charged my card yesterday so I expect it soon.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

What organization or office did you call in Philadelphia?
Charolette

Post by Charolette »

The West VA naturalizations are stored in the "Mid Atlantic Region of the National Archives" in Phiadelphia. I will see if I can find the phone number I called.

I called them at the National Archives Reference Desk: 215-606-0112

Other numbers:
General info: 215-606-0100
Fax 215-606-0116

[Numbers updated by Art]
Charolette

Post by Charolette »

The Consulate emailed me the information and forms and I can forward that email to you if you would like.
As far as I can tell we just have to fill out two forms and they are pretty short.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

That's be great. You can just replace "moderators" with "art" in the email address at the bottom of this page and that'll get to me. Thanks!
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Thanks for the documents, Charolette. It's not an easy process, is it?

It looks like the instructions in the Word document you were given are for parents who are requesting a Spanish birth certificate for a child.

The PDF form does seem to be appropriate for requesting citizenship.
Charolette

Post by Charolette »

I'm not sure but I think that we need that form to register our birth. Is that possible?

If you check the post that Manual Gonzales made here yesterday, you get a Spanish birth certificate.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

That might be right.

If anyone else wants a copy, ask either Charolette or me.
Charolette

Post by Charolette »

You are right, it is not easy especially since I dont speak the language.The two forms that we have to fill out look simple but I'm still not sure what they want in some places.
I just reread the email that I forwarded you and it does say that I have to register my birth.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

I believe that for federal documents, the State Department handles apostille:
http://www.state.gov/m/a/auth/

Hours: Monday-Friday 7:30 to 11:00 am

Cost is $8/document

518 23rd St, NW, State Annex 1
Washington, DC 20520
202-647-5002
800-688-9889

Supposedly you have to have an official seal affixed by the specific federal agency that created the document before it can be made apostille, according to this page:
http://travel.state.gov/law/info/judici ... _2545.html

I got my naturalization records from USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services), but the consulate said they weren't official (possibly because they have no seal or signature). The USCIS process was helpful, though, because the documents I got through USCIS gave me the numbers, dates, and locations I needed to apply for a certified copy of his naturalization document from the "Mid Atlantic Region of the National Archives" in Phiadelphia, which is what Charolette suggested.

You can call the National Archives Reference Desk: 215-606-0112 and ask for a certified copy. They'll take your request by phone and even charge your credit card for the $22.50 fee. The woman thought it would take a week. That's very good service!

I don't think the naturalization paper has to be apostille, at least not in the Washington consulate. If you do have to get the naturalization apositille and you get the certified document from the National Archive, you'll send it the the US State Department to get an apostille. It might be possible to get the same records from the court, in which case, perhaps then a state government would have to make it apostille, but I'm not sure.

Documents created by state or local governments are handled by state governments, not federal. This would be true for most birth, marriage and death certificates. Here is info for several states on getting apostille done.

West Virginia apostille

Maryland apostille
16 Francis St, Jeffrey Building, First Floor
Annapolis, MD 21401
410-974-5521

I believe that you have to appear in person.
Cost is $5/document in cash, check or money order.
Hours: Monday - Friday 8:30-4:00, including some state holidays)

New Jersey apostille

Pennsylvania apostille

Does anyone know the cost of having the official translations done?

[Art: updated 5/14/2010]
Last edited by Art on Fri May 14, 2010 7:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

A web page from the appropriate Spanish Ministry doesn't say anything about translations. It simply requests:
1. Form requesting nationality
2. Complete birth certificate of applicant, with apostille
3. Complete birth certificate of parent who was Spanish at birth (presumably with apostille, but that's not stated)

It makes sense that some, like me, will also have to show that the grandparents were Spanish via birth certificates.

I think I've heard that each embassy is interpreting the rules differently (requiring translations or not). It may be that some are requiring marriage certificates, too.

http://www.maec.es/es/MenuPpal/Consular ... unta3.aspx
MAEC wrote:Los documentos que hay que presentar son los siguientes:

A. Personas incluidas en el párrafo 1º de la D.A. 7ª de la Ley 52/2007 (personas cuyo padre o madre hubiese sido originariamente español):

1. Solicitud de opción a la nacionalidad española de origen (Anexo I).

2. Certificación literal de nacimiento del interesado, expedida por un Registro Civil local en el extranjero, legalizada o apostillada, en su caso, según los artículos 88 y 89 del Reglamento del Registro Civil.

El Registro local extranjero debería informar al interesado acerca de cuál es la oficina del país de su residencia en el extranjero encargada de legalizar los documentos extranjeros o de poner la “Apostilla de la Haya”, en su caso, para que dichos documentos puedan ser admitidos en las Embajadas y Consulados Generales de España.

3. Certificación literal de nacimiento de su padre o madre originariamente español, expedida por un Registro Civil local en el extranjero o por un Registro Civil español (Consular o Municipal).
Manuel A Gonzalez

Post by Manuel A Gonzalez »

Hi Art

You need to make an appointment with your Consulate ASAP. We are also going to do this with my niece and we made an appointment last week and it is not until October. I did not have to translate my documents and most of them were in Spanish already. I took

1. My father's litoral birth certificate

2. My mother's who was born in Ida Mae WVA

3. My extended birth ceritificate

4. My parent's libro de la familia (marriage license).

5. My father's Spanish Passport

I think that was it...It was in July of 2009

I got the apostille on my birth ceritficate and she told me it wasn't neessary to have an apostille.
Manuel Gonzalez Lopez
From Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
mother from Naveces (near airport in Asturias)
father from Taborneda (above Aviles)
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Thanks, Manuel, that helps. Was that in the Consulate in NYC?
Charolette

Post by Charolette »

The Consulate in San Francisco told me that I cannot make the appointment until I have told them everything I have and it is complete with Apostilles and Translation. I am waiting for my last two Apostille's and then I will have everything except the translation. It just doesn't seem right that all my US documents have to go to Spain to be translated.
As soon as I have my last two Apostille's I am going to try to call the Consulate again and verify that I infact have to have them translated. Since they are very basic forms, it seems that you would not need to have them translated.
Manuel A Gonzalez

Post by Manuel A Gonzalez »

Yes

I went through the Consulado de New York..did you make an appointment?
Manuel Gonzalez Lopez
From Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
mother from Naveces (near airport in Asturias)
father from Taborneda (above Aviles)

Return to “Identity, Nation, Return - Identidad, país, vuelta”