Permission to go to Havana

Asturian cultural identity, Spanish nationality, & return to Asturias: legal, social, & personal aspects.<br>
Identidad cultural asturiana, nacionalidad española, y regreso a Asturias: cuestiones legales, sociales, y personales.

Moderator: Moderators

Marta Elena Díaz García

Permission to go to Havana

Post by Marta Elena Díaz García »

Hi, friends:
I am including here part of document I could find in

http://pares.mcu.es/ParesBusquedas/serv ... t?accion=0

concerning to one of my ancestors.

In the document (1819) Manuel and Maria are asking to the King of Spain, Fernando VII, his permission for their son Juan to travel to Havana to work with a brother.

For applying such permission, they had to demonstred some particular personal conditions. Among them, those that most surprised me are the ones that I underlined in red:

“..(Juan).. is the son of the legitime marriage of Manuel and Maria, who are regarded and renowned as good old christians, of clean blood and free of all bad race of Moorish, Jewish, dumb, nor of newly converted to our Holy Religion”…. (Sorry for the translation, but it is very difficult!!!!)

Even, in other documents we can read that Juan is free from persecution by the Inquisition….
Really, it was very curious and I enjoy very much reading such documents.

Marta

Note: I have translated “gafo” by “dumb”. Gafo in Spanish mean those who has the fingers (hands and feet) like clutches and can not move them. I think it refers to those born from blood relation (but I am not sure).

Hola amigos:

Incluyo aquí parte de un documento que saqué de http://pares.mcu.es/ParesBusquedas/serv ... t?accion=0 relativo a uno de mis antepasados.

En el documento (1819) Manuel y María solicitan permiso al rey de España, Fernando VII, para que su hijo Juan viaje a la Habana a trabajar con un hermano.
Para solicitar tal permiso, tenian que cumplir unas determinadas condiciones. Entre ellas, algunas que me sorprendieron son las que he subrayado en rojo:
“…(Juan)…es habido de legítimo matrimonio de Manuel y María, que son tenidos y reputados cristianos viejos, limpios de sangre de moros, judios, gafos, ni de los recién convertidos a nuestra Santa Religión…”

Incluso, en otros documentos se puede leer que Juan está libre de persecución por la Inquisición…..

Realmente, me resultó muy curioso este documento (y otros que encontré de otros familiares) y he disfrutado con su lectura.

Marta.

P.D. Gafos: quien tiene encorvados y sin movimiento los dedos de las manos (muchas veces como garras) e incluso de los pies. Yo creo que hace referencia a los hijos de aquellos nacidos de consanguíneos (pero no estoy segura)
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Wow, I'm surprised (a phrase I use a lot on the forum!!) that this relic of the Inquisition lasted so long! I wonder if it was a function of the central importance of the church in every aspect of the culture?

Thanks for sharing that, Marta.

------------------

¡Vaya me sorprende (¡una frase que utilizo mucho en el foro!) que esta reliquia de la Inquisición duró tanto tiempo! ¿Me pregunto si fue una función de la importancia central de la iglesia en todos los aspectos de la cultura?

Gracias por compartirlo, Marta.

Return to “Identity, Nation, Return - Identidad, país, vuelta”