Save the Tampa Cigar Factories

Retelling the stories of the Asturian-American migration.<br>
Recontando las historias de la emigración astur-americana.

Moderators: Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

Bob

Save the Tampa Cigar Factories

Post by Bob »

At the First Simposium on the Asturian Presence in the US, we were treated to a tour of Asturian sites in Tampa, narrated by Judge EJ Salcines. Since many of our ancestors who settled in Tampa worked in the cigar factories, the tour included quite a few of these.

Fran Costantino, the president of the East Ybor Historic and Civic Association has established an online petition to the City Council to save these historic sites from destruction. You can read and sign the petition at
www.petitiononline.com/tcf/petition.html Whether or not you live in the Tampa area, you can still support the preservation of the historic sites, which are part of our history and our common heritage.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Updates on the Tampa cigar factory preservation issue (by permission):

May 19, 2006
To All Preservationists:

Our latest count for on line petitions shows 992. Unfortunately week #13 is not so lucky for us. We actually have only 968 signatures because if you view the signatures you will notice "signature rejected" on some of the lines.

In a effort to keep this record clean, the committee has wisely decided to reject all "duplicate" signatures, those with first names only and those from some people who have more time on their hands than brains. Some individuals have signed on as Fidel Castro and a not so nice name with "Ronda" in it.

I do not have the latest count for the hard copies petitions and hope that they have not been forwarded to me because people are still diligently working on completing 25 to a page.

C A L L I N G A L L V O L U N T E E R S.....August 3, 2006 is fast approaching and we are trying to get a handle on those that can come along with us to City Council to voice their personal opinions about this worthy cause. We want to fill City Council chambers like it has never been packed before. Plan to stay all day if necessary - who knows what will happen and what number we will be assigned on the agenda. All those that are able to come - please email me with your information.

The link and petition are again being forwarded for your convenience. Anybody that can work extra hard to make up for the lost signatures - please do. I still don't see some husbands, wives and partners that promised to sign on. Please get your other halves to "get with the program."

www.petitiononline.com/tcf/petition.html

Sincerely,

Fran Costantino, President
East Ybor Historic and Civic Association, Inc.

May 26, 2006
To All Preservationists:

Way to go hardcopy petitioners! Thank you so much for your diligent effort, which to date totals 1,385. Online petitioners also had a surge this week and that brings our total to 1,032 for a grand total 2,417. Hopefully by this time next week I will be able to announce that we have reached our half way mark of 2,500 signatures. We pledged 5,000 by 7/15/06.

School is out for the summer and so is Fran. Very proud to announce that our Cigar Factory Power Point Presentation, prepared by Martaluz Pozo of Villa Madonna, was viewed by approximately 1,000 children. I want to thank the Nun's and Teacher's at St. Joseph's Catholic School, Villa Madonna, St. Patrick's, St. Mary's Episcopal Day School, Chiaramonte Elementary, Ballast Point Elementary and Andersen Elementary for their encouragement and support. The energy and enthusiasm of the children is what keeps me going. They ARE our future preservationists.

It is Memorial Day weekend, so please remember our Soldiers and Veterans and have safe and happy Holiday. Please look for the petition on page 3 of LaGaceta - Thank you Patrick and Angie.

As usual the link and petition are attached.

Thanks,

Fran Costantino, President
East Ybor Historic and Civic Association, Inc.

June 2, 2006
To All Preservationists:

URGENT - IMPORTANT HISTORIC PRESERVATION MEETING - TUESDAY - JUNE 6, 2006, AT THE AMBASSADOR ROOM AT THE BAYSHORE DIPLOMAT - 6 TO 7p.m.

NO FOOD - NO WINE - AND DEFINITELY NO "WHINING" - STRICTLY BUSINESS...R.S.V.P - 244-1800

EVERY DAY THAT PASSES WITH NO ACTION IS A DAY LOST FOR OUR CAUSE. WE ARE LOOKING TO FORM INDIVIDUAL COMMITTEES AND WE DESPERATELY NEED LEADERS/VOLUNTEERS.

VOLUNTEER COORDINATOR ???
LEGAL/PROCEDURE - ???
PRESS/MEDIA - ???
LOBBY COUNCIL - ???

PLEASE SEE WHICH CATEGORY FITS YOUR EXPERTISE AND VOLUNTEER YOUR HEART AND SOUL. WE NEED EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU. AUGUST 3, 2006 IS FAST APPROACHING AND THERE IS SO MUCH TO DO.

WE CAN DO THIS TOGETHER.....

AS USUAL LINK AND PETITION ARE ATTACHED.

THANKS,

FRAN COSTANTINO, PRESIDENT
EAST YBOR HISTORIC AND CIVIC ASSOCIATION, INC.
stamargo

Post by stamargo »

Thanks, I live in Tampa and have not heard of this project, though I've watched with sadness as the old cigar factories around town crumble. (For example, the one where my abuelo got his first job has no windows and holes in the wall).

EJ Salcines is a distant cousin of mine and looks exactly like an older version of my father.

Return to “Immigrant Stories - Historias inmigrantes”