Catuxa

Vocabulary & grammar of Asturian & Bable, comparisons with Castilian.<br>
Vocabulario y gramática de asturianu y bable, comparaciones con castellano

Moderator: Moderators

Dave

Catuxa

Post by Dave »

Hi my name is David and I live in Dublin, Ireland. My girlfriend is from Orense, Galicia and moved to Dublin in November 2005. I am trying to find out as much information as possible about her name and put it all on a certificate and give it to her as a present as I think both she and her name are beautiful. Here is the information I know. Her name is Catuxa( Tuxa) and I think the Spanish form of this is Catalina. I would be very grateful for any help anyone can give to me.
Thanks.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I'm under the impression that the "uxa" (pronounced "usha" in English) is an affectionate feminine diminutive, but I leave it to our native speakers to clarify the matter for you. If I'm correct, Catuxa or Tuxa means something like "Little Catalina" in asturianu. In gallego, I would assume it is similar. The languages are not very different.

There are many endings that modify personal names and other nouns. My grandfather Victor, for example, was known as Viturón.
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Hi David,
What a lovely idea for a gift. Catuxa is a very lucky girl to have such a thoughtful boyfriend.
As to the name, the suffix "uja" in Spanish and "uxa" in Galician and Asturian is a femenine diminutive, as Bob points out.
It is an oldfashioned form, though, which has almost disappeared. In fact, I believe Catalina, Maria (i.e. Maria = Maruja = Maruxa) and Teresa (Teruxa), all of them medieval names, are the only ones where it is still applied.

Cheers

Return to “Asturian & Bable - Asturianu y bables”