Genealogy software & dual surnames

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

Xani

Post by Xani »

Hi, Art,

Actually it's La Iglesia de Jesucristo de los Santos de Los Ultimos Dias. :) :)

The program IS a little dated, so for folks who want the absolute latest on the market, well, it's probably not the best. However, for me, it's a wonderful, dependable work horse that does everything that I could want it to do. And I believe that this is true for most people - a program that is easy to use and yet powerful.

As for the church-related features, if one goes to the Tools feature at the top of the screen, and then selects Preferences, with one click, one can easily turn off all the LDS information & references. This makes it look and feel like a totally secular program.

Xani :D :D :D
ecobas43

PAF from the Mormons

Post by ecobas43 »

I have been using the PAF (Personal Ancestor File)free download form the Mormon's website (www.familysearch.com) and find it easy to use and it handles all my dual family names. The fact that it is given out by the church of the Mormons is irrelevant.

Yo he estado usando el PAF que es gratis de la iglesia de los Mormones, lo puedes conseguir gratis en su pagina de web (www.familysearch.com). Lo encuentro facil de usar y tienes sitio para entrar dos apellidos. Que te lo da la iglesia de los Mormones no tiene nada que ver. Ellos no se meten en nada.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Evidently I need to clarify my previous statement about PAF.

What I said was, "...[it was] limited because it relied heavily on data structures used by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' geneology project...."

That is not a criticism of the church.

An article I had read was making a technical point that the data structures were designed for use with the church's project and might not be as useful for others. (Interestingly, Xani also indicates that it's possible to turn off some features.)

----------------

Aparentemente tengo que clarificar mi declaración anterior sobre PAF.

Lo que dije era, " ... [Está limitado por depender muchísimo de las estructuras de datos usadas por el proyecto de geneology de la Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints [La Iglesia de Jesucristo de los Santos de Los Ultimos Dias] ...."

No es una crítica de la iglesia.

Un artículo que había leído hizo un punto técnico que las estructuras de datos son diseñadas para el empleo con el proyecto de la iglesia y que es posible no sea tan útil para otros. (Me interesa que Xani indica que es posible apagar algunos rasgos.)
Rvega

Genaealog Program(s)

Post by Rvega »

Hola Art and all !

I have been using Family Tree Maker for about six years and it is a very nice program. They made big changes from Version 10 to Family Treemaker 2006 last year, a lot had to do with just the main page format/layout. The program is always evolving and improvements over the last six years have been wonderful.

Prior to using Family Tree Maker 2006 I used a program called Brother's Keeper. It has just been updated (31-Jan-2006) to version 6.2 and I highly recommen this program also. It is well supported and they are currently making translations into many other languages. You can download a copy at this site:

http://www.bkwin.net/version6.htm

I believe the key to any good genealogy program is it's ability to convert it's data file(s) to GED.com file format which seems to be the universal file exchange format. (Word-wide). Most orograms are very similar and it comes down to limits on data file and photo sizes (How many people it will allow you to eneter and quanity of photos per entry and their physical size) along with other bells and whistles such as different printing options.

Art, I would give Brothers Keeper a test drive (I believe you can download it for evaluation) and see what you think. At least you'll be able to get familiar with a genealogy program with a few bells and whistles but yet simple.

Roberto Vega
Rvega

Genelogy Program

Post by Rvega »

Art,

Family Treemaker 2006 is actually at Version 13 (Ver. 13.0.281).
Sorry, I did not clearify that.

Roberto
Bob

Post by Bob »

Can anyone provide insight as to how the various programs handle dual surnames, such as exist in Spain?
Rvega

Post by Rvega »

Hola Bob,

I believe several have discussed how Family Treemaker handle Dual Surnames by utilizing a forward slash (/) before and after the surname or surnames you want the program to recognize as the "Master Surname". Example:
Maria Diaz Vega

If you want the program to recognize Diaz along with Vega as the "Master Surname" you would enter it in the program as:
Maria /Diaz Vega/

If you want the program to recognize Diaz as the "Master Surname" you would enter:
Maria /Diaz/ Vega

If you want the program to only recognize Vega as the "Master Surname" you would enter:
Maria Diaz /Vega/ or Just Maria Diaz Vega
In this instance "Diaz will be recognized as a middle name though.

You can also enter for each person an "AKA"- Also Known As - name following the same rules.

A surname search would provide a return on either the "Master Surname(s)" or "AKA" name(s) entered.

I hope this helps.

Roberto

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”