La escuela rural antiguamente

People, history, places, resources, & more.<br>
El pueblo, historia, lugares, recursos, & más.

Moderators: mariamatoyos, Moderators

Terechu

La escuela rural antiguamente

Post by Terechu »

Pensé que os podría gustar este pequeño vídeo del Museo de la escuela rural de Cabranes, en el que se puede ver la vivienda del maestro y como eran las clases típicas, según si eran escuelas nacionales o católicas.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JKsUqpv ... h=asturias

I thought you might enjoy this little video of the Rural School Museum of
Cabranes (Asturias), showing the teacher's dwelling and a typical school day in a Republican school (co-ed) and in Catholic school (boys and girls in
separate classes).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JKsUqpv ... h=asturias

Cheers
Terechu
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Thanks, Terechu, that's an interesting video.

Do you think the wildly different discipline styles presented in the video are accurate? Were the Republican schools that sensitive and the Catholic schools that brutal?

----------------

Gracias, Terechu, es una video muy interesante.

¿Crees que los estilos de disciplina presentados en el video son fieles? ¿Eran las escuelas nacionales tan sensible, y las escuelas católicas tan atroz?
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Art, I'm afraid so. The Republic was short lived (only 4 years before Franco et al. launched their coup and started the Civil War) but it created 10.000 new schools in its first year.
To judge from my parents' experience, it was very precisely as shown in the video. My father who went to Catholic school was severely traumatized by the brutal teaching methods, and my mother, who attended public Republican school, loved it all the way. I firmly believe that my mother's lively and merry character was largely due to attending a school with idealistic teachers. By the way, most "maestros nacionales" were executed or banned from teaching when the war was over and then the lack of qualified teachers lead to substandard public schools, full of brutal thugs, as shown in the video. (That post-war stage in the video starts when the teacher turns on the radio and the song "El emigrante" by Juanito Valderrama is played).
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

It's sad that the Franco era misery extended even to the school kids.

What's the significance of that song "El emigrante" by Juanito Valderrama?

-----------------

Qué vergüenza que el sufrimiento de la epoca de Franco asaltó hasta a los alumnos.

¿Qué es la importancia de esa canción "El emigrante" por Juanito Valderrama?
Eli

Post by Eli »

That was interesting, way back when teachers used to say 'la letra a palos entra'...

---------

Eso estuvo interesante, hacen muchos años los profesores solian decir 'la letra a palos entra'...
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Does "la letra a palos entra" mean, "I'll beat the alphabet into you!" ?

------------

¿Qué significa "la letra a palos entra"? ¿Significa que "Voy a hacer que aprendes por pegarte con este palo!" ?
Eli

Post by Eli »

Yeah pretty much... must've been tough back then. But then again, they didn't have any of the stuff schools today have, gangs, shooting, knifes metal detectors... lol

Return to “About Asturias - Sobre Asturies”