berzas ?

Recipes for berza, cabbage, green beans, kale, potatoes, etc.<br>
Recetas para berza, col, judias verdes, col rizada, patatas, etc.

Moderators: almudena, Moderators

ayalgueru

berzas ?

Post by ayalgueru »

pregunta tonta ,,,

Como se dice berzas en ingles ,,, ? ( not cabbage please :) )

saludos
----

silly question ,,,

How do you say berzas in english ? ( not cabagge for sure :) )

greetings
splish-splash
the cat washes in the river...
spring rain
Isaa Kobayashi (1816)
Xose

Post by Xose »

Kale.
Barbara Alonso Novellino

Post by Barbara Alonso Novellino »

Yep Kale.

My family used to make a wonderful soup with berzas. There is a big difference between cabbage and Kale.

Barbara
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Well, it's not exactly kale. I've never seen berza in the US. People in Pennsylvania have told me that they used to grow it there.

I think berza looks more like collards (which has larger leaves with less curliness), but I use kale when I cook Asturian because kale is a little more tender and sweet than collards.

-----------------

Pues, no es exactamente "kale" [col rizada]. Nunca he visto berza en los EE. UU. Algunas personas de Pennsylvania me dijieron que la creciera allí.

Pienso que la berza parece más bién los "collards" (que tiene hojas más grandes y menos rizadas), pero utilizo kale [la col rizada] cuando cocino al asturiano porque la col rizada es un poco más tierna y más dulce que los collards.
ayalgueru

Post by ayalgueru »

thanks to all !

I am planning to cook "pote asturianu" and while "compangu" (meats) I can buy online or while on holidays can buy online the berzas I will have to get in shop. We will see if I can get "kale" somewher ein london :) thanks again !
splish-splash
the cat washes in the river...
spring rain
Isaa Kobayashi (1816)
Mafalda

Post by Mafalda »

Seguramente la palabra "berza" no tendrá traducción al ingles, puesto que el producto no se da en Inglaterra.
Cuando me entra la morriña y "necesito" cocinar un buen "pote", sustituyo las berzas por repollo, col rizada y en alguna ocasión lo hice con col china, con muy buenos resultados, puesto que esta es mas suave aun que el repollo y la col rizada.
"Comienza tu día con una sonrisa, verás lo divertido que es ir por ahí desentonando con todo el mundo."
Mi amiguita Libertad ________Image
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

¿Se saben de berza en otra partes de España fuera de Asturies?

------------

Is berza known elsewhere in Spain outside of Asturias?
Mafalda

Post by Mafalda »

No, en León hemos traido grana y la planta nace, pero las berzas son duras e insípidas, en Galicia se han intentado cultivar, pero las berzas, a medida que se alejan de Asturias...no son lo mismo.

En West Virginia tambien intentaron cultivarlas, pero por lo que cuenta Manny, sin mucho exito.
"Comienza tu día con una sonrisa, verás lo divertido que es ir por ahí desentonando con todo el mundo."
Mi amiguita Libertad ________Image
Bob

Post by Bob »

Burpee seeds (US company) sells seeds for smooth kale, which takes about 60 days to grow to maturity. See http://www.burpee.com/shopping/product/ ... yword=kale They also sell seeds for curly kale and for ornamental kale, which develops an open head of leaves, a deep green surrounding white or purple-red.
granda

Post by granda »

Have a look at safeway/morrisons in uk. I found there berzas under the name of greens. However they only sell this product in season.

a brazilean friend of mine uses the same greens to make "feijoada" which is a bean stew originally from portugal. The beans used in this dish are very similar to our fabes pintes
is

Post by is »

A new Asturian friend here in Washington has just received a shipment of homemade chorizos from County Quiros, personally delivered by a friend from Bermiegu. So we're now planning to make a pote asturianu with berces, chorizo, but, sadly, without a morciel.la.

I've found green kale (curly leaved) at the local Giant and Whole Foods supermarkets. Has any one tried this as a substitute for berces? Is that the kale that Bob referred to in a previous post?

I'd also appreciate any tips on how to replace the fabes that go in the pote as my personal shipment for my brother's wedding no longer exists.
Bob

Post by Bob »

The kale my familty has always used is the flat leaf rather than the curly leav variety. Either one requires quite a long cooking time.

Check La Tienda (that's their sausages page) for morcilla. They have both the kind with onions and the kind with rice, and are close to Washington. There is a link on the forum's link page that will help support AsturianUS.org.

La Tienda also has fabes, but just about any white beans work well in the recipe.

Here's our La Tienda affiliate link (click on the image):
is

Post by is »

Thanks, Bob, I'd forgotten about La Tienda. They have fabas (fabes) listed at $23.95/kg and although the packaging for "El Maragato" says that the beans are from Leon, the sidebar at La Tienda declares them to be Asturian. Wonder what the deal is there. My grandmother was always careful with her fabes, shopping with a healthy dose of skepticism in the market. Thanks for the tip on the non-curly kale. Xa te direi como sal el pote!
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Here's the link for La Tienda. Or you can click on the image.

Aquí es el enlace para La Tienda. O puedes hacer clic sobre la imagen.
is

Back to kale...

Post by is »

Bob, Sorry to bug you again about the legume used to make pote asturianu with berzas, but which one of these should I buy at the market?

1. collard greens (flat-leaved) $0.79/lb
2. mustard greens (curly) $0.79/lb
3. green kale (curly) $0.79/lb

All are sold at the corner Giant supermarket here in Washington DC because it seems to be a popular dish in the South, especially among African-Americans.

I just have no idea what is closest to the vegetable we eat in Asturias and Galicia. Thanks...

Return to “Vegetable Dishes - Verduras”