Dia de Asturias en Tampa

Happenings of interest to forum participants.<br>
Sucesos de interés a foreros.

Moderator: Moderators

Rodrig54

Dia de Asturias en Tampa

Post by Rodrig54 »

The Centro Asturiano de Tampa is hosting another Dia de Asturias en Tampa on Sunday, October 1.

Starting things off, a Santina Mass will be held at 10:00 am at Our Lady of Perpetual Help, with a statue of Nuestra Senora de Covadonga displayed. (The original statue comes via the University of South Florida and was formerly housed in the capilla of the Centro Asturiano Hospital).

Doors at the Centro open at 11:30 am with a fabada, choripan, salad and flan lunch being served. The favas were brought from Asturias ealier this summer and will be served with chorizo and morcilla.

Historic readings and a lecture on Pelayo will be given in the Covadonga Room.

A musical variety show follows in the teatro. Various indiano acts from the Americas are featured.

Finally, a silent auction and tapas closes out the day about 3:00 pm.

Cost is $30. Contact the club in Tampa or e-mail me if you'd like to attend.

The old joke in Tampa is, that when you're running late, you must be on Ybor City time. As the club is in the Ybor section of Tampa, we're late, recognizing that Asturias Day really falls on September 8. Oh well.
Bob

Post by Bob »

The Tampa/Ybor City events sound wonderful. I wish that I could be there. I enjoyed meeting people, touring the building itself, as well as touring the Asturian sites in the area during the February conference.

The Centro Asturiano de Nueva York has several fall events planned:

Septiembre/September 10 - Fiesta de la Santina/Santina Celebration

Octubre/October 21 and 28 - Viaje al Instituto Culinario/Culinary Institute Trip

Noviembre/November 4 - Gala del Maguestu/Harvest Gala

I'm hoping to be able to make it to one or more of the planned events. I just joined the centro a few months ago, and have been out of town for most of the summer and missed the wine tasting and annual picnic, but have had several delightful telephone conversations with its president, María Gelchie.

The website is http://www.centroasturiano.org and the FAX and telephone number is (516) 569-9544.

Return to “Events - Acontecimientos”