Emmigration from Asturias

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

jbarbo

Emmigration from Asturias

Post by jbarbo »

Terechu: Are there records of the asturianos leaving Spain?Did they have passports,visas,etc.to be able to leave.Did the government require exit documents?Did the ships require documentation other than money?Searching documents here in the US can be quite challenging.My grandmother left Spain to Le Havre,France with her five children and on to Ellis Island and then to Anmoore,WV to be with her husband,family and other spanish friends from her hometown with similar hopes and dreams...and here I am,her grandson,a son of Asturias, trying to relive what our ancestors went through.I have been studying my family history for over 40 years and I have been recording alot of it.Why didn't I listen more carefully to all the stories or save more earlier family photos?My family instilled in me special values,asturiano values ,that are with me to carry on loving my heritage and all the memories that I cherish.My grandfather did not realize what a wonderful life he was creating for his children's children.
Ron Gonzalez

Emmigration From Asturias

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

jbarbo,

I have asked myself the same question: Why did I not talk more to my grandparents about their life? I have always said that you need to ask why, what, when, where. Why did you come to the US? What did you think when you got here? But I, like others, did not ask, so you are not alone.

When I was a kid I ran around with a friend from Anmoore, Ronnie Barbo. Do you know him?
jbarbo

Friends of West Virginia

Post by jbarbo »

Bob....hello.Ron Barbao is my cousin.He is has been living in Ohio with his family.His mom was Mary Menendez .His dad,Emil Barbao, was quite a soccer player and a terrific person.Also,my cousin Flody Suarez,his mom and dad,Eduardo and Angelina.Flody and his family live in Florida.The only family there live in Bridgeport,Monica Skinner Barbao.The Junco family moved to Moundsville.My family moved to Donora in the late 20's because of the Zinc plant.Out here in California are Ben and Olvido Barbao's family,Eric Barbao and family,son of Ken Barbao(dad, Joe Barbao)Lou Alvarez(fatherAndres Alavarez and mother Maria Cueto),wife,Renee Barbao (father Bill Barbao and mother Mary)and my family.The Asturiaos dispersed all over...but we don't forget.Look at the interest that we have in the past and of our culture.I had the pleasure of meeting Josefine and her sister in Spelter,1999 with Uncle Emil Barbao and Aunt Mary.I would order chorizo from them and have it special delivered..it was the best.My cousin,Pete Lorenzo(father Manuel Lorenzo and mother Gia Lorenzo Barbao,91) is still looking where to buy homemade longaniza.I am sure we know a lot of people from those "days".I read a lot of your posts.I enjoyed them.I respect your participation in the forum and for sharing with us your experiences and stories.Lou Alvarez and his family(the Cuetos) grew up in Spelter.He tells me that he knew your family.Seguimos el camino de la familia.
Barbara Alonso Novellino

Post by Barbara Alonso Novellino »

Hi Jbarbo,

In your post you mentioned the Junco family moving to Moundsville.

Well, my Aunt Tomasa and Uncle Cuesta lived in Moundsville and their next door neighbors were Manuel and Duvechis (don't know the spelling of her name) Junco They have a son Manuel, Daughters Anita and Nina.

Are these the same Junco's that you are talking about?

Barbara
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

jbarbo
Emil and Mary were friends of my mom and dad , as well as my frend. Did you know Benny Alvarez ? the name Monica got me to thinking . Benny was my second cousin , he has a sister who lives in Burgettstown Pa. I went to Benny and Monica wedding in Anmoore , don't tell anyone how long ago that was.

If you talk to Ronnie give him my best , its been a long time.
jbarbo

Family and friends

Post by jbarbo »

Bob and Barbara:Benny Alvarez was married to my cousin Rita Barbao.He and Rita were wonderful people.Monica was married to John Skinner from Clarksburg.Yes ,Manuel and Dionisia(Dorthy)Junco's family,Anita,Josefine,Joe are family.Their mother was a Barbao(Dobigues).I stay in touch with Anita.I just sent her some family tree information.Barbara,I had mentioned to you that I remember your uncle Montes.The Garcia's(your uncle Joe and son Ray) lived the street above us.Barbara,where did you grow up?The Spanish Club of Donora had many yearly events.The dinner reunions brought many Asturiano families and friends together to share stories about their homeland and families.Those were the days!!!!I lost track of some family that had moved to Bayonne,NJ in the late 20's.They were Manuel Alvarez,wife Ingracia(Grace) and his brother,Vital Alvarez,wife,Aurora and daughters,Amor and Lena.If any you have any information of them or their children,please foward it to me.Thank you.I don't know about all of you...but,I love tortilla de patata!
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

jbarbo
Rita you are right , it has been a long time

Ronnie
Barbara Alonso Novellino

Post by Barbara Alonso Novellino »

Hi Jbarbo,

Wow what a small world this is. Next time you get in touch with Anita Junco tell her that I am Bobby (Barbara) daughter of Julio Alonso and Angelina Montes Grandaughter of Adelina and Adelino Montes. I spent many hours with the Junco family when I was a young child. My Mother and Father's families lived in Moundsville and worked in the Smelter.

Actually I grew up in Brooklyn, New York. My Dad married my Mom Angelina Montes in 1934 and they moved to Brooklyn where my Dad worked for Consolidated Edison. I spent my summers as a young girl in Moundsville until my Grandfather Adelino passed away in 1942. I still visited there having family on both sides.

When you talked about my Uncle Montes are you talking about my Uncle Julius Montes...he was my Mother's brother. The Joe and Raymond you spoke about were my Father's brother and nephew...my Uncle Joe and cousin Raymond.

This website is so wonderful...it brings family and friends back together.

Barbara

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”