Franciso Ruiz de Valdes

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

Lorene Valdez Salgardo

Valdes

Post by Lorene Valdez Salgardo »

Art:
We found this genetic cousin through the Family Tree DNA testing and we both used our Brothers as the participant.

When there is a mutation match, and we agree to being contacted, it opens up that avenue. I contacted her via e-mail and asked if she wanted to share genealogy information. She has more information then I have, but it looks like we may share a GreatGrandmother.

We have a close match with a Paternal Testing participant but as I have previously stated no contact just yet. I always e-mail any of these participants who match but don't always get a reply.

It has taken me a long time to try to decipher the results so when you pose a question about some aspect of this complicated process it helps me because I then research it a little more in depth. Not always succeeding, but always trying.
Lorene
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

That's neat. How much would it cost to get the testing done? Is there any fee for other services, like contacting possible family members?

-----------------

¡Qué bien! ¿Cuánto costaría hacer una prueba? Hay otros gastos para otros servicios, como contactarse con parientes posibles?
Lorene Valdez Salgardo

Valdes

Art:

I have been a member of various Hispanic Genealogy Associations for many years. The Genealogy Society of Hispanic American yearly conference in Albuquerque, New Mexico had a speaker that took the time to really explain to us what the New Mexico DNA Project was all about. After listening to the various members talk about their experience I had a better idea as to what test I wanted. If you sign on to a particular project you pay a lesser amount. I signed on the New Mexico DNA Project and chose the "Y"-DNA 37+mtDNA Plus:Male, 37 markers, Paternal Test & Hight Res. Maternal Match. It cost my sister and I $339 + Tax. There was no other fees. The participant has to give his or her approval to be contacted by other matches and my Brother agreed. We are notifed whenever we have a match. It is up to us whether we want to contact this person or not and visa versa.

There are lesser tests and greater test, but I found this test to be what most participants were taking and it fit our needs.

The Family Tree website for DNA testing is www.familytreedna.com/
If you access that site, in the middle of the page, there is a link .3569 Surname Projects, this will take you to other links where you will be able to access other projects. There is a project for Spain which you can access through this link.

It was through the Spain DNA project that I was hoping that I would find a match with my Brother. If a Valdez or Valdes (Male) had their DNA tested and they were from Asturias we could see if we have a match.

So far no such luck.
Lorene
Lorene Valdez Salgardo

DNA Project

Hello Art:

It's been awhile since I wrote anything about our DNA Project. I never know whether anyone is interested or not so I neglect updating.

Well, for those that are interested, I have been in contact with the sister of the participant that matched 25/27 to my Brother's DNA. She was unable to give me a family tree in order to try to match ancestors, but she did state that her GrandFather was German. We e-mailed one another and it felt as if I was writing to cousin. Or should I say genetic cousin.

My sister and I found a distant cousin who was willing to have his DNA tested. His last name is Sanchez and is a descendent of my GrandMother, Rebecca Sanchez. Rebecca Sanchez was my Father's Mother. Our Sanchez participant Haplotype is J2e1. Under the New Mexico DNA project he is listed as Semitic.

So there you are. Father: Haplotype I: Nordic, Mother: Haplotype B: Native American and Grandmother: Haplotype J2e1: Semitic.
Lorene
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

That's really interesting! It goes to show that many of us are related to lots of different peoples. Or that we aren't very different after all!

Thanks for updating us. Be sure to let us know if you learn more.

-------------------------

¡Eso es muy interesante! Demostra que muchos relacionamos con pueblos distintos. ¡O que después de todo no somos tan distintos!

Gracias por ponernos al día. Dinos si aprendes más.
Lorene Valdez Salgardo

Hello Art:

My husband and I have set up a genealogy web site.

The name of the web site is www.myvaldezgenealogy.net.

This web site was very therapeutic and at the same time intimidating.

I hope your readers would be interested in my little piece in this wide world.
Lorene
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

You're telling a very interesting story on your website, Lorene! I'll be interested in hearing how your search goes as you continue looking for family. I've done a little genetic work, but not enough to report on.

-------------------------

¡Está creando una historia muy interesante en tu sitio web, Lorene! Me interesaré en saber cómo va tu búsqueda a medida que sigues buscando tu familia. He hecho un poco de trabajo genético, pero no bastante para hacer un reportaje.
Mica

Cousins?

Post by Mica »

Hi Lorene,

My name is Michelle "Mica" Aragon and I saw your post here a few months ago. I've had my DNA tested through ancestry.com but the test I did doesn't give haplotype. However, in my genealogical research over the past decade, I have discovered I am a descendant of Francisco Ruiz de Valdes! So, I believe we are related! I'd love to talk with you. If you would like to, please send me an email - I believe you can do it through this forum. If not, please post a reply and I will give you my email address. I'm especially anxious to find the exact location from where our ancestor left Oviedo because I am traveling to Spain for the first time in October. If you have any information or clues, they would be most appreciated. - Mica

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”