Spanish Sausage - Chorizo

Recipies using beef, veal, pork, sausages, patés, & game.<br>
Recetas empleando carne de vaca, ternera, cerdo, embutidos, paté, y caza.

Moderators: almudena, Moderators

Joe Alvarez

Spanish Sausage - Chorizo

Post by Joe Alvarez »

Hi my name is Joe Alvarez.

I would like to know how to make spanish sausage. I used to be able to get it from where my grandparents used to live. It is a little spanish community in Spelter WV. Spelter is in Clarksburgh WV. I used to get it from a lady named Josephine Alvarez. She passed away not to long ago, and I don't know where to get it any longer. If you could get me the recipe, or get me in contact with someone around that area, or close to that area that makes it, I would be greatful.

Thank you.
Joe Alvarez
:?
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Hello, José. Welcome to the forum!

You may want to look at these two threads:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=227

-----------

¡Hola, José, bienvenido al foro!

Quizás te gustaría leer esos dos hilos:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=227
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Hi Joe,

I am not Spanish but I grew up in Spelter WV and now live in Shinnston. Frank Fernandez from Spelter is still making Longeniza and it is excellent, as good as Josephines. He is the only current source that I know of for it. If you will email me I will give you his phone number.

[Art: Email removed. Please use the "Email" button below.]
Bob

Post by Bob »

Please see my recipe at http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8 You will need a sausage stuffer (grinder with tube attachment) and a smoker (I recommend applewood chips). There is absolutely no substitute for chorizos caseros asturianos. You can adjust the level of spice to suit your taste, of course.
Eric Smith Fernandez

Post by Eric Smith Fernandez »

My grandmother told me my grandfather mixed some beef in with pork when making chorizo. does anyone else do this?

---------------------------------------

La abuela mia me dijo que cuando mi abuelo hizo chorizo, mezcló carne con cerdo molido cuando haciendo chorizo. ¿Alguién más haga como eso?
Bob

Post by Bob »

I've never heard of adding beef, but in the old days pork used to be very much fatter, and this may have been a way to even out the fat content. My grandparents almost never ate beef. Today, the problem is finding pork that is fatty enough to make good chorizos, since modern breeds (and tastes) are much leaner. I ask our butcher to add a little extra fat to the pork, which works our perfectly.

In any event, recipes evolve over time, incuding within familes. Don't be afraid to experiment and make it the way you most enjoy it.
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Hi, Joe,

You said that your grandparents used to live in Spelter. Do you care to give us their name? I was born and raised there. It's possible that I knew them.
Eric Smith Fernandez

Two new questions:

Can anyone recommend a good suasage stuffer? What types or brands are best and economical?

Do they use any marinades in Asturies for meats like ribs?
Bob

Post by Bob »

My sausage stuffer is quite old, and I have no idea of the brand name. Just look for a meat grinder with a sausage stuffer attachment. It will probably cost between $30 and $60.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Hi, Eric, I don't remember seeing barbecued meats (with a sweet and spicy barbecue sauce) in Asturias. The origins of barbecue are disputed, but it may be from the American South, perhaps Virginia.

The cooking styles in Spain vary a lot by region. But I don't eat much red meat, so I'm no the best person to answer this question. I do remember several stewed meats. My sense is that Asturians do a lot of initial pan frying, followed by cooking the same items in a sauce.

-------------------

Hola, Eric, no recuerdo viendo barbacoa o carne asado a la parrilla (hecho con una salsa dulce y picante con de tomate, azúcar, especias, etc.) en Asturias. Es posible que el origen de salsa barbacoa fuera en el sur de los Estados Unidos, quizás en Virginia.

Los estilos de cocinar varían muchísimo por región. Pero no como mucho carne de vaca o cerdo, entonces no soy el mejor para responder a tu pregunta. Recuerdo algunos carnes estofadas. Creo que a los asturianos les gusta freír cosas en una sartén primero, y después cocinar la misma cosa en una salsa.
Eric Smith Fernandez

Thanks Bob and Art for the help.

-------------------------------

Gracias a Bob y Art por ayudarme.
Eric Smith Fernandez

Bob, i found a hand-crank style meat grinder with a sausage stuffer attachment for $20.00 @ Wal-mart. Will this work O.K.? Can i use it with my ingredients mixed together and still run it through the grinder into the tubes? It won't hurt it to run it through a second time with my ingredients, right?
Bob

Post by Bob »

It should work fine. Just use the stuffing tube and leave the grinding blade and plate off.
Eric Smith Fernandez

Thank you.

Also could you smoke the butts a little first and then grind up the meat and fill the casings? Or would the way you recommended previously work better?
Bob

Post by Bob »

I stick to the tried and truemethod of smoking the chorizos themselves.

Return to “Meats - Carnes”