Documentary Film "AsturianUS" sold out!

Visual arts with movement over time: film, video, etc.<br>
Artes visuales con movimiento que dura un periódo de tiempo: cine, video, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Terechu

Documentary Film "AsturianUS" sold out!

Post by Terechu »

I just got back from the Instituto Jovellanos, where Luis Argeo's documentary "AsturianUS" on Spelter, West Virginia, and its Asturian community is shown (within the Gijón International Film Festival)...
...and I'm back so soon, because I'm such an idiot that I didn't get my tickets in advance and, since the place was packed and no more tickets available, I'll have to wait to see it tomorrow.
I met Luis Argeo, though, and had a brief chat with him. I wish him every success, he's a great guy.
I'll let you all know how it all went tomorrow. Sorry. :?
------------------------------------------------------------
Acabo de volver del Inst. Jovellanos, donde se proyecta el documental "AsturianUS" de Luis Argeo, sobre Spelter, Virginia Occidental, y su comunidad asturiana (la peli se proyecta dentro del Festival de Cine de Gijón)...y el caso es que volví tan pronto, porque soy tan idiota que no cogí las entradas con antelación y la sala estaba abarrotada y no quedaban entradas. Tendré que esperar a verla mañana por la tarde (en el Centro Cívico de Pumarín, 17.00 h).
Conocí a Luis Argeo y charlamos un poco con él. Le deseo toda la suerte del mundo, es un tipo genial.
Ya os contaré mañana cómo fue todo. :?
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

THE FILM WAS FANTASTIC! My most sincere congratulations to Luis Argeo on a great job! In all fairness, lthough, I must say that he had great material to work with. I can't remember all the names of the people who particpated, but I was impressed by them all and their stories and anecdotes.
Our own Ron González with his deep wonderful voice, was a most gracious guide for Luis. In fact he made me cry when he got emotional in the Spelter cemetery. One of the most striking and rewarding factors to me was the unequivocal Asturian expressions they all used, even if they spoke mostly in English, i.e.: "...la mi güela y el mi güelu", "nun teníemos ná", "yera muy puerco", etc. I loved the part when someone in a red sweater started to sing "Carreteras de Asturias". (He sang the first two lines: Hoy de Asturias me despido, con el corazón desecho...but had forgotten the rest: la Virgen de Covadonga un altar lleva en mi pecho.)
It was wonderful to see Spelter, Pinnick Kinnick Hill and Donora. I enjoyed seeing Art pouring cider and speaking Spanish (way to go Art!) and Xose's testimoniy in Spanish as well. It was a real treat, guys.

In short: the film was very good and I hope Luis can get you all a copy soon.
---------------------------------------------------------

EL DOCUMENTAL ESTUVO FANTASTICO! Mi sincera enhorabuena a Luis Argeo por este gran trabajo! Claro que para ser justos hay que decir que tuvo muy buena materia prima. Aunque no recuerdo todos los nombres de los que participaron, me impresionaron todos con sus historias y anécdotas.
Nuestro Ron González con su maravillosa voz grave fue un guía muy atento para Luis. De hecho me hizo llorar cuando se emocionó en el cementerio de Spelter. Uno de los factores más llamativos y prestosos fueron las expresiones tan asturianas que usaban, aunque lo hablaran casi todo en inglés: ""...la mi güela y el mi güelu", "nun teníemos ná", "yera muy puerco", etc.
Me encantó una escena en que un tertuliano con jersey rojo empezó a cantar "Carreteras de Asturias". CAntó las primeras dos líneas: Hoy de Asturias me despido, con el corazón desecho...pero se le olvidó como seguía: la Virgen de Covadonga un altar lleva en mi pecho.)
Fue estupendo ver Spelter, Pinnick Kinnick Hill y Donora.
Me encantó ver a Art echando sidra y hablando español (ahí, ahí, Art!) y a Xose hablando en español también. Fue genial, chicos.

Resumiendo: la peli fue estuvo muy bien y espero que Luis os pueda mandar una copia pronto.

Abrazos a todos
Miguel Angel
Translator

Post by Miguel Angel »

I've seen the film this afternoon too and I was delighted. It was very amazing hearing the older asturian-americans from Spelter speaking in asturian. Not only the expressions but the acent was asturian, although they didn`t know how to say many things in asturian and they had to speak in english!. The expresions and the gestures were asturian too. They look almost as asturian as their relatives from Piedras Blancas.
It was fantastic hearing Art and Xose speaking in spanish. And Ron is a great speaker. What a great actor he could have been!.
greeting!
----------
Yo también he visto la película esta tarde y me encantó. Fue sorprendente oir a los astur-americanos mayores de Spelter hablar en asturiano. No solo eran asturianas las expresiones sino también su acento, aunque no sabían como decir muchas cosas en asturiano y tenían que decirlas en inglés. Las expresiones y los gestos también eran asturianos. Parecían casi tan asturianos como sus parientes de Piedras Blancas. Fue estupendo oir a Art y a José hablar en españor. Y Ron es un gran orador. ¡Que gran actor pudo haber sido!.
Saludos.
Miguel Angel
Xose

Post by Xose »

Whoa. You mean my terrible Spanish got in there? Yikes! I'm nervous to see it now! :oops:
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

As I recall, you were pretty good, Xose. Now me... well....

-------------

Si recuerdo bien, falabas bien, Xose. Pero yo... pues....
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Hombre, Miguel Angel, qué pena que no nos hayamos conocido! Nuestro miembro mas reciente, Dani Alvarez, estaba allí con su novia y me saludó. Me prestó muchisimo conocerles (además son una pareja guapísima) y ver que había mucha gente joven.

Yes, Xose and Art, your Spanish is very good and you looked quite dashing on screen! :lol:

----------------------------------------
Why, Miguel Angel, what a pity that we didn't meet! Our newest member, Dani Alvarez, was there with his girlfriend and he came up to me. I was delighted to meet them (and what a beautiful young couple they are) and to see that there were so many young people.

Pues sí, Xose y Art, hablásteis bastante bien español y estábais arrebatadores en pantalla! :lol:
Miguel Angel
Translator

Post by Miguel Angel »

La verdad, Terechu, es que supuse que irías, pero no pude identificarte, y tu no sabes como soy yo, si no me hubiera gustado saludarte. Una pena. Y si, me sorprendió la cantidad de gente que acudió, no pensé que el tema interesase tanto.
------
It's true, Terechu, that I presumed you was going to came to the theater, but I wasn't able to identify you, and you didn't know what I am like, if you would did, I would have delighted to meet you. What a pitty!. I was amazed to see the number of people that came to the theater, I didn`t know that subject was so interesting for people.
Dani Álvarez

Post by Dani Álvarez »

I watched it yesterday!
I also met Terechu (Hola Teresina :wink: ! vamos ponenos colloraos con tantu piropu), by the way, and I could talk a little to her. It was really emotive watching this lovely group of grandpas and gradmas still speaking in Asturian or Castilian with some Asturian accent.

It seems that whenever the Asturians go the economical crisis comes with us, because watching the image of Spelter it looks exactly the same as many post-industrial towns of our motherland. There are many places in Asturies where nowadays only old people live and the youngers have had to leave.

It was great watching Art, Ron, Xuan, Bigotes, Gugu... Really emotive.
(but we DO have to organize a Pouring Trainning Camp, undoubtedly!)

I specially enjoyed two things: "Pickhinnikis" Hill, said like this because the former Asturians couldn´t pronounce "picnic" properly (I´m imaginning my granny trying to say "picnic", IMPOSIBLE!!!) and their tender regards about those picnics where they gave money for the Spanish Republica (No pasarán!). It was also very significative watching that our ancestrals were at the bottom of the hill (I think it was in Dorora) only above black people.

Hard live you had, really hard live.

One more thing. I´m going to investigate about this man from Somiedo who went to the USA. It was in the 60´s when he went to California! Can you imagine an Asturian villager in the middle of the psychodelia explosion :shock: ??? Maybe he became a hippie...

¡Vila ayeri!
Tamién conocí a Terechu (¡Hola Teresina, vamos ponenos colloraos con tantu piropu :oops: !) y pude falar una puquiñín con ella. Fue bramente emotivo ver a esi grupín adorable de güelinos y güelines falando tovía n´asturianu o en castellanu con acentu asturianu.

Parez qu´allá onde vamos los asturianos la crisis económica vien con nosotros, porque viendo la imaxe de Spelter paecía que tábemos en cualquiera de les muches villes postindustriales de la nuestra tierra. Hai munchos sitios n´Asturies nos qu´anguañu namás que viven vieyos, porque la xente mozo tuvo que colar.

Tuvo fenomenal ver a Art, Ron, Xuan, BIgotes, Gugu y toes eses muyerines encantadores, emotivo de verdá. ¡Pero lo que sí que tenemos que facer ye entamar sin falta un cursín p´aprender a ESCANCIAR!

Prestáronme especialmente dos coses: el fechu de que se llamara "Pickinnikhi" Hill (o como se escriba), escrito asina porque los antiguos nun yeren quién a dicir "picnic" (toi pensando en mi difunta güela tratando de dicir picnic, ¡IMPOSIBLE!) y los recuerdos tan tiernos que tienen d´aquelles meriendes pa pañar fondos pa la República (¡No pasarán!). Tamién fue abondo significativo que los asturianos tuvieran abaxo´l too en Dorora, perriba namás que de los negros.

Debisteis tener una vida mui dura, realmente dura.

Una última cosa: voi poneme a investigar sobre esi paisanu de Somiedo que vos conté que coló p´América. Pues bien, marchó nos 60 pa California. ¿Vos imaxinais a un paisanu de Somiedo en metá de la explosión psicodélica :shock: ? Igual se fizo hippie...
Bob

Post by Bob »

One of the real tests of English pronunciation for castellanohablantes is "squirrel." The consonant cluster "sq" without a leading "e" is difficult, as is the English "r" sound closely followed by "l." And the she sound of the "i" and the lightly passing schwa sound of the "e" are difficult as well. My grandparents did't have much difficulty with "picnic" which came out "picanic."

What words would pose similar problems for anglohablantes in the other direction?

Dani, I wish you could speak with my father. He's 88 and born in Spelter, West Virginia. He has no discernable accent in English, and - according to the people we met in Asturias - no accent in castellano or asturianu either, although his version of these languages is displaced perhaps 85 years or so in time.
Suronda
Co-Founder

Pinnickinnick - Mispronounced?

Post by Suronda »

I have to post a disclaimer here: The belief among local Asturianus in Harrison Co. West Virginia (and others) that the naming of "Pinnickinnick" Hill came from the difficulty in pronouncing the work "picnic" is local lore. In fact, the name is much older and comes from the Native American communities who lived their much earlier. It's an "Indian" word, officially. As history evolves, however, the Spaniards' claim to the name has grown in the telling!
Mafalda

picnic

Post by Mafalda »

Me alegra mucho comprobar que la proyección de ayer tuvo tanto exito como la del domingo, y siento no haber coincidido con tanto forero como parece que habia por alli.

En cuanto al comentario de Suronda, y al margen de la cuestión semántica, mientras oia a Ron en el reportaje, hablar de Pinnick Kinnick Hill, tambien cuando lei el libro, me dió la impresión de que los Asturianos lo que hacian era repetir la costumbre tan nuestra de las romerias, sobretodo de la romeria de San Adriano.

Esta es una romeria muy especial, no se trata solo de la fiesta del pueblo. Se celebra el 8 de Septiembre, la capilla de San Adriano està en el Camino de Santiago, el caso es que ese dia todas las familias de la zona, preparan sus empanadas y sus tortillas y se reunen en el pueblo de San Adriano, alli, con la música de la gaita y el tambor de fondo, visitan al Santo, asisten a misa Sacramental, y se acomodan por los alrededores para comer. Por la tarde se celebra la romeria.

--------------------
trans. Art

I'm really happy to realize that the showing [of the film] was so successful as it was yesterday on Sunday, and I'm sorry not to have been able to hook up with so many members of the forum as seem to have been present there.

As far as the commentary of Suronda, and the side note about the semantic question, while I was listening to Ron in the news article speaking aboutPinnick Kinnick Hill, also when I read the book [Pinnickinnick Hill], I got the impression that what the Asturians were doing was to recreate the our custom of romerias, in particular of the romeria of San Adriano.

This is a very special romeria, it's not just a celebration by the town. It is celebrated the 8th of September. The chapel of San Adriano is on the Way of Santiago [a set of medieval pilgramage paths/roads]. The important thing is that that day all the families of the region prepare their empanadas and their tortillas and meet in the town of San Adriano. There, with the music of the gaita and drum in the background, they visit the saint, attend the Holy Mass, and then they make themselves comfortable in the grounds nearby to eat. In the evening romeria is celebrated.
"Comienza tu día con una sonrisa, verás lo divertido que es ir por ahí desentonando con todo el mundo."
Mi amiguita Libertad ________Image
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Mafalda wrote:Por la tarde se celebra la romeria.
¿Mafalda, qué pasa por la tarde? Creo que estoy confundido por la palabra "romeria". ¿Quieres decir "verbena"?

Romería y verbena son extraños en la vida contemporáneo de los EE.UU.

--------------
Mafalda wrote:In the evening romeria is celebrated.
Mafalda, what happened in the evening. I think I'm confused by the use of the word "romería". Did you mean "verbena" [open-air dance]?

Romería and verbena are foreign to us in contemporary life in the US.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Art, I understand the term to mean something like a picnic held on a saint's day.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Yeah, I think that's how we translate it in English, but it's more than a picnic. It's a big event. It's not just for a family. I don't think anything like it exists in the US any more. When I attended one near Mieres I was amazed by the thousands of people who were there. I attended another in a small village in Cuenca. It was much smaller, but nearly everyone from the village was there.

Actually my question was about the use of "romería" at the end of her message. I think she may have meant "verbena". But since neither of these is terms that make sense to an American, I'm not sure.

----------------

Sí, pienso que es como lo traducimos en inglés, pero es más que una comida campestre [picnic]. Es un acontecimiento grande. No es solamente de una familia. No pienso que ninguna cosa parecido existe en los EE.UU. hoy. Cuando asistí a una cerca de Mieres, me sorprendí que hubo millares de gente. Asistí a otra en una aldea pequeña en Cuenca. Era mucho más pequeña, pero casi cada uno de la aldea estaba allí.

Pero en realidad, mi pregunta estaba sobre el uso del "romería" en al fin de su mensaje. Pienso que quiso decir "verbena". Pero dado que ningún de éstos son los términos que tiene sentido para un americano, no soy seguro.
Miguel Angel
Translator

Post by Miguel Angel »

Well Art,
The difference is basically that the romería is celebrated in the afternoon, and the verbena is celebrated in the evening or by night (it can last until down).That's what say the R.A.E dictionary:
romería. (De romero, peregrino). f. Viaje o peregrinación, especialmente la que se hace por devoción a un santuario. || 2. Fiesta popular que con meriendas, bailes, etc., se celebra en el campo inmediato a alguna ermita o santuario el día de la festividad religiosa del lugar. || 3. Gran número de gentes que afluye a un sitio.
Biblioteca de Consulta Microsoft® Encarta® 2005. © 1993-2004 Microsoft Corporation. Reservados todos los derechos.
verbena. (Del lat. verbēna).2. Fiesta popular con baile que se celebra por la noche, al aire libre y, normalmente, con motivo de alguna festividad.
Biblioteca de Consulta Microsoft® Encarta® 2005. © 1993-2004 Microsoft Corporation. Reservados todos los derechos.
But both of them have dance and music.

Return to “Time Media Arts - Artes de medios temporales”