Primeres Xornaes Asturianes en Nueva York Marzo 15-16 2007

Announcing, planning for, & reviewing the conferences about the Asturian-American emigrant experience, cultural heritage, & Asturian-American identity.<br>
Anunciar, planear, y resumir las conferencias sobre la experiencia de los emigrantes astur-americanos, la herencia cultural, y identidad astur-americano.

Moderators: Trabanco, Moderators

Art
Site Admin

Primeres Xornaes Asturianes en Nueva York Marzo 15-16 2007

Post by Art »

[Art: pongo un mensaje que recibí por correo electrónico de Tranbanco (Alberto Prieto Calixto)]

Queridos paisanos:

gracias a los esfuerzos de Andrés Villagrá y con la colaboración de la Academia Asturiana de la Llingua, de Pace University y de ASUSA, os anunciamos las:

Primeres Xornaes Asturianes en Nueva York (Marzo 15-16)

En estes xornaes contaremos con miembros de la Academia de la Llingua como Pablo Manzano y Chema Vega. Habrá poesía en Asturianu, charlas sobre la llingua, sobre la presencia asturiana en los USA, sobre autores asturianos en la emigración, sobre la influencia de las nuevas tecnologías en la emigración, con presencia de AsturianUS.org y otros temas relacionados con Asturias y USA.

Y por si esto fuera poco apetecible, os recordamos que ese fin de semana es el fin de semana de San Patricio, que en Nueva York entre desfile y folixa, parece ser que viene a ser una especie de carnaval a lo celta. Está por confirmar la presencia de una banda de gaiteros asturianos en el desfile. Asturianía y diversión asgaya! No hay quién de más!

Os mandamos un enlace con la dirección del edificio de Pace University donde tendrán lugar les Xornaes (no es en el campus principal de Pace, sino en un edificio de esta universidad en el 551 de la Quinta Avenida, en centro)

http://appserv.pace.edu/execute/page.cfm?doc_id=16156

Más adelante os mandamos detalles sobre las horas.

Por último, en la página principal de ASMA aparece un enlace informando sobre la reunión que se celebró en la Fundación Príncipe de Asturias respecto a la emigración asturiana en el mundo y en la que ASUSA estuvo representada.

http://www.asma.as/

Un abrazo y esperamos veros a todos en Nueva York en marzo

Puxa Asturies

Alberto Prieto Calixto
http://web.rollins.edu/~apcalixto

-----------------
trans. Art

Dear countrymen:

Thanks to the efforts of Andrés Villagrá and with the collaboration of the Academy of the Asturian Language, of Pace University and of ASUSA, we announce to you: Primeres Xornaes Asturianes [The first Asturian Conference] in New York (March 15-16).

In this conference we will rely on members of the Academy of the Asturian Language, like Pablo Manzano and Chema Vega. There will be poetry in Asturianu, talks about the language, the Asturian presence in the USA, on Asturian authors who wrote about their emigration, the influence of the new technologies on emigration, along with the presence of AsturianUS.org and other subjects related to Asturias and the USA.

And in case this isn't tempting enough for you, we will remind you that that weekend is the weekend of San Patrick's Day, which in New York -- between the parade and the partying -- seems to have become a kind of carnival for the Celts. Still to be confirmed is whether there will be a band of Asturian gaiteros in the parade. Asturianía and plenty of fun/amusement! Who could ask for more?!

We are sending you a link with the address of the building at Pace University where the Conference will take place (it is not in the main campus of Pace, but in a building of this university at 551 Fifth Avenue, in the center).

Later we will send you details on the hours.

Finally, in the main page of the ASMA website there's a link about the meeting that was held at the Foundation of the Prince of Asturias with respect to Asturian emigration in the world, in which ASUSA was represented.

http://www.asma.as/

We send warm greetings, and we hope to see you all in New York in March.

Puxa Asturies

Alberto Prieto Calixto
http://web.rollins.edu/~apcalixto
Last edited by Art on Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

I have translated Alberto's message above.

I had trouble with "diversión asgaya."

Then I found this proverb:
Folixa asgaya, dolor na vidaya"
* "Fiesta a tutiplén, dolor en la sien".
[Abundant partying, pain in the temple.]

http://es.wikiquote.org/wiki/Proverbios_en_asturiano

So, I'm guessing that "Diversión asgaya" means "Abundant fun or amusement" in Asturianu.

---------------

He traducido el mensaje de Alberto al cima.

Tenía dificultad con "diversión asgaya".

Entonces encontré este refrán:
Folixa asgaya, dolor na vidaya"
* "Fiesta a tutiplén, dolor en la sien".
http://es.wikiquote.org/wiki/Proverbios_en_asturiano

Por eso, adivino que "Diversión asgaya significa "Abundant fun or amusement" [diversión a tutiplén] en asturianu.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Here's a copy of the announcement as found at the http://www.asturianos.as/ website:

ASUSA celebrará 15 y 16 de Marzo con la colaboración de la Academia Asturiana de la Llingua y de Pace University las I Xornaes Asturianes en Nueva York. Tendrá lugar en edificio de Pace University en el 551 de la Quinta Avenida.

Primeres Xornaes Asturianes en Nueva York (Marzo 15-16)

En estes xornaes contaremos con miembros de la Academia de la Llingua como Pablo Manzano y Chema Vega. Habrá poesía en Asturianu, charlas sobre la llingua, sobre la presencia asturiana en los USA, sobre autores asturianos en la emigración, sobre la influencia de las nuevas tecnologías en la emigración, con presencia de AsturianUS.org y otros temas relacionados con Asturias y USA.

Y por si esto fuera poco apetecible, os recordamos que ese fin de semana es el fin de semana de San Patricio, que en Nueva York entre desfile y folixa, parece ser que viene a ser una especie de carnaval a lo celta. Está por confirmar la presencia de una banda de gaiteros asturianos en el desfile. Asturianía y diversión asgaya! No hay quién de más!

Os adjuntamos link a un enlace con la dirección del edificio de Pace University donde tendrán lugar les Xornaes (no es en el campus principal de Pace, sino en un edificio de esta universidad en el 551 de la Quinta Avenida, en centro)
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Just in case someone wonders what the text in Bob's last message says, it's a shorter version of what Alberto provided in the first post. So the translation in the second post is good for this one, too.

If you know Castellano, try reading the message Bob posted. You may be able to figure out a lot of it (most of it is Castillian).

---------------

Por si acaso te preguntas que dice el texto del mensaje de Bob's last message, es una versión corta de lo que Alberto nos proveió en el premier mensaje arriba. Entonces, la traducción en el segundo mensaje vale para este también.

Si sabes castellano, puedes leer el mensaje que Bob puso por que la mayoría es castellano.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Here's an update on the Asturian Culture Conference.

Jornada de Llingua, Cultura y Literatura de Asturias en Nueva York, viernes, 16 de marzo de 2007.

Conference on the Language, Culture and Literature of Asturias in New York, Friday, March 16, 2007

The organizers of the conference have changed the showing of the documentary films to Saturday morning, March 17, most likely at the Pace Downtown campus, near City Hall. This is far enough from the St..Patrick's Day Parade that there should be no problem with crowded or closed streets.. There are no events scheduled for March 15, but a rich series of offering are scheduled for March 16 (Friday).

The main conference will take place at:

Pace University, Midtown Campus
The French Building
551 Fifth Ave. (between 45th and 46th St.). Entrance on 8th Floor
New York, NY 10176
(212) 346-1700/1770
Rooms 1009 y 1010

If you are going to participate, please call or email Andres Villagra to reserve a place.

Dr. Andres Villagra
Pace University
Dept. of Modern Languages
Pleasantville, N.Y. 10570
avillagra@pace.edu

Here is the schedule of events (which may be subject to slight change)

Friday, March 16, 2007
Mesa 1: "De presencias y ausencias." 2 a 4pm
2: 00 Palabras de Bienvenida: Andrés Villagrá, Pace University y ASUSA.
2: 10 Pablo Manzano Rodríguez, Academia de la Llingua Asturiana. Título de tu ponencia
2: 30 Pilar Fernández, Asesora de educación, Consulado Gral. de España en Nueva York: "Recuperación de la cultura asturiana a partir de 1975."
2: 50 Alberto Prieto-Calixto, Presidente de ASUSA, Rollins College: "Presencia
asturiana en los Estados Unidos."
3: 10 Andrés Villagrá, Pace University & ASUSA: "La emigración en la literatura en asturiano: pasado y presente."
3: 30 Comentarios y diálogo.

Mesa 2: "De testimonios e iniciativas" 4 a 6pm.
4:00 La página web de Asturianus.org: su historia, función, miembros.
4:20 Paquita Suárez-Coalla, Borough of Manhattan Community College, "Mujeres coraje: Testimonios de las campesinas asturianas del siglo XX."
4:40 Jim Fernández, New York University, "Asturianos de Nueva York frente al Fascismo"
5:00 Chema Vega a completar
5:20 Pablo a completar
6:00 Cierre de la jornada
6 a 7pm. Algo de comer y beber.

Saturday morning, March 17, Tiempo de documentales (times and locations to be announced)
"Suena'l camín" de Benjamín Menéndez.
"L'Asturianu: Historia de una Llingua" presentado por Pablo Manzano
kathleen gordon

Post by kathleen gordon »

do you know if any of the events will be bilingual or in english? my spanish is really poor.
great-granddaughter of Socorro Arguelles, granddaughter of Margarita
Bob

Post by Bob »

I'm not sure, but my guess is that castellano will be the dominant language at the conference. However, if you have any ability at all in that language, I would encourage you to participate. An hour or two of total immersion usual improves understanding enormously.

In any event, no matter what the language in which the speakers choose to present their material, there will be more than a few people present whose speak English either as a first or second language. If last February's Florida conference is any indication, the conference will be relatively small, people will be friendly and helpful, and all participants will enjoy the experience.
Art
Site Admin

Update on the Conference

Post by Art »

[Art: This is from an email from Andres Villagre, the organizer.]

Hello All:

These are the (next to last) invitations for the conference. Please distribute.

The Asturian agency and myself will contact the local press back in Asturias, although there has already been a press release. Please be careful to provide the correct and complete information of all participants if you personally contact the press before the event, or contact me for clarifications and last minute details. The Asturian Government is still planning to do a press conference before the event. http://www.lne.es/secciones/noticia.jsp ... cia=496785

Some minor changes (format and other corrections to the program) may still happen. I was told the paper invitations will be sent Monday and we can expect to receive them by next Wednesday. Meantrime you can use this in digital format.

I have asked for 5-10 large popsters to the printing office. If someone may need some, please let me know. I am still waiting to hear from that office. Please remind interested people to provide me with a name to be added to the guest list. We are still suffering the consequences of Sept. 11 and everybody needs to show ID to security to get into any buidling at my university.

And last but not least. The Gaiteros de Corvera are coming to march on Saint Patrick's Day Parade. We'll have a chance to meet them on Friday night when they present their new CD. We are also planing to go out together Friday and Saturday. They are eager to perform Saturday afternoon at Pace Auditorium for the whole student comunity and guests but it is booked and have no other large room as of today. I am working on it.

Yet one more comment. I have already received an inquire about the language that will be used during the presentation since this Asturian descendent speaks only English. I answered that summaries in English (or Power Point in English) can be provided by any of the presenters since everybody is bilingual or trilingual.

Cordially,
Andres (almost there)

Dr. Andres Villagra
Pace University
Bob

Post by Bob »

Here's a further update on the Asturian Culture Conference, with additions taken from the brochure announcing the events..

Jornada de Llingua, Cultura y Literatura de Asturias en Nueva York, viernes, 16 de marzo de 2007.

Conference on the Language, Culture and Literature of Asturias in New York, Friday, March 16, 2007

The organizers of the conference have changed the showing of the documentary films to Saturday morning, March 17, most likely at the Pace Downtown campus, near City Hall. This is far enough from the St..Patrick's Day Parade that there should be no problem with crowded or closed streets.. There are no events scheduled for March 15, but a rich series of offering are scheduled for March 16 (Friday) and March 17 (Sunday).

The main conference will take place at:

Pace University, Midtown Campus
The French Building
551 Fifth Ave. (between 45th and 46th St.). Entrance on 8th Floor
New York, NY 10176
(212) 346-1700/1770
Rooms 1009 y 1010

If you are going to participate, please call or email Andres Villagra to reserve a place.

Dr. Andres Villagra
Pace University
EMAIL

Here is the schedule of events (which may be subject to slight change)

Friday, March 16, 2007
Mesa 1: "De presencias y ausencias." 2 a 4pm

2: 00 Palabras de Bienvenida: Andrés Villagrá, Pace University y ASUSA.
2: 10 Pablo Manzano Rodríguez, Academia de la Llingua Asturiana. "L'Academia de la Llingua Asturiana, 27 años de trabayu"
2: 30 Pilar Fernández, Asesora de educación, Consulado Gral. de España en Nueva York: "Recuperación de la cultura asturiana a partir de 1975."
2: 50 Alberto Prieto-Calixto, Presidente de ASUSA, Rollins College: "Presencia asturiana en los Estados Unidos."
3: 10 Andrés Villagrá, Pace University & ASUSA: "La emigración en la literatura en asturiano: pasado y presente."
3: 30 Comentarios y diálogo.

Mesa 2: "De testimonios e iniciativas" 4 a 6pm.
4:00 Art Zoller-Wagner y Robert Martínez, "La página web de Asturianus.org: su historia, función, miembros."
4:20 Paquita Suárez-Coalla, Borough of Manhattan Community College, "Mujeres coraje: Testimonios de las campesinas asturianas del siglo XX."
4:40 Jim Fernández, New York University, "Asturianos de Nueva York frente al Fascismo"
5:00 Chema Vega, Gabinete de la Conseyería, Seguridá Pública y Relaciones Esteriores del Principáa d'Asturies, "Recital poético, acompañado a la flauta por Bras Rodrigo"
5:20 Pablo Manzano Rodrígues, Academia de la Llingua Asturiana, "El cuentu traditional y la lliteratura popular asturiana"
6:00 Presentación del DVD "Al debalu", de la Banda de Gaites de Corvera D'Asuries
6:30 Cierre de la jornada (pesielle de les xornaes)

Saturday morning, March 17, Tiempo de documentales (times and locations to be announced) 10:00 Ponencia a cargo de Tony Carreño, "La Comunidad Asturiana de Tampa"
Tiempo de documentales
"Suena'l camín" de Carmen Bernardo, Efrén Álvarez, Laura Pola, Jorge Pérez y Fernando Farpón, coordinados por do profesores: Sonia Fernández y Benjamín Menéndez.
"Lluvina" de Juan Luis Ruiz
"L'Asturianu: Historia de una Llingua" presentado por Pablo Manzano
"7337" de Sergio Sánchez
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Thanks for posting that, Bob.

We've received questions about the language to be used at the conference. Andres says that all of the people presenting are bilingual, so this won't be all in Spanish.
Andres wrote:Yet one more comment. I have already received an inquire about the language that will be used during the presentation since this Asturian descendent speaks only English. I answered that summaries in English (or Power Point in English) can be provided by any of the presenters since everybody is bilingual or trilingual.
We dealt with this issue at the Orlando/Tampa conference last spring (2006), too. A number of our participants only spoke one of the languages, and it worked. So, if you don't know Spanish, you'll still be able to enjoy the conference. We hope you'll come. It's going to be a lot of fun!
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Actos sobre la llingua asturiana na Pace University de Nueva York
Publicado el 27/2/07 en: http://www.asturiania.com/

Redacción

27/02/2007 La Pace University de Nueva York (EEUU) va celebrar el próximu 16 de marzu una xornada intensiva sobre la llingua y cultura asturianes coincidiendo colos actos del Día de San Patriciu, nos que tolos años participa una delegación asturiana acompañando a la comunidá irlandesa nel so día grande. L'Asociación Asturianos en USA, que preside el profesor del Rollins College Alberto Prieto Calixto y que recupera la herencia de los asturianos emigraos a los EEUU ye la entidá qu'organiza esta xornada na que collaboren l'Academia de la Llingua Asturiana y la Conseyería de Xusticia y Rellaciones Esteriores del Gobiernu asturianu.

El profesor de la Pace University Andrés Villagrá va ser quien inaugurare la xornada, falando sobre la emigración na literatura n'asturianu, interviniendo darréu l'académicu de la llingua Pablo Xuan Manzano. La representante del consuláu Pilar Fernández va falar sobre larecuperación de la cultura asturiana nos Estaos Uníos, mientres que'l mesmu Alberto Prieto Calixto va encargase de dar una charra sobre la presencia asturiana nos Estaos Uníos. La segunda mesa de trabayu del día va entamar con una charra sobre la web www.asturianus.org que cumple un importante papel de puntu de contactu de la comunidá d'asturianos y descendientes d'asturianos nos EEUU. Paquita Suárez Coalla, que va falar sobre les muyeres del campu asturianu y l'escritor y periodista Chema Vega, que va dar un recital de poesía acompañáu pol gaiteru Bras Rodrigo, completen esta xornada.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Here is a link to an article about the Pace University conference that may be of interest:

http://www.lne.es/secciones/noticia.jsp ... cia=502955
is

Post by is »

[Art: el asturianu ye abaxu]

An aviator jacket for the Xornaes de Llingua in New York
Paul de Zardain
March 18, 2007

New York City: Betty Fernandez, 82, goes to the far end of her pantry in Cortland Street and hands me her late-husband’s blue aviator jacket. I have just driven up from Baltimore to Newark with Art Zoller Wagner, her nephew. “Oh gosh, I almost couldn’t get it off the hanger. It’s been such a long time,” says Aunt Betty with a self-effacing nod. “It looks a bit big on you, but that’s OK. Joe Fernandez was a tall man!” It is thanks to Joe, born in West Virginia in 1921 to parents from Avilés, that I manage to survive the snowstorm that hits New York on St Patrick’s Day in 2007.

That night, we take Art’s aunt out for fried shrimp and feijoada de mariscos at Fernandes II, a restaurant just off of Raymond Boulevard. On the business card, the eatery pitches itself in a language hybrid: ‘Ambiente familiar, Portuguese, Spanish, American cuisine, Rodizio. Obrigado por sua visita’. As we hustle in from the cold, a family of Galicians is slowly giving up on their platefuls of seafood. At the bar, a heavy man in white sweats is nursing a copo de vinho verde, while waiters come and go speaking softly in Portuguese. “Gosh, who’d have thought so many people dine here. This used to be a bank!” says Aunt Betty, wide-eyed.

The Ironbound district of Newark has always been in flux. It was mostly German and Polish in the 1930s. Today, it is known as ‘Little Portugal’ for the influx of islanders from the Azores in the 1970s. Surrounded by railroads and former steel mills, it is like a time capsule for the waves of immigrants that have landed in New York’s greater metropolitan area, which extends into New Jersey. The Portuguese led to a migration of Galicians, followed in turn by Brazilians and people from the Cape Verde Islands. There are also Mexicans working in factories and two city housing projects nearby. But it makes little difference today—all the streets will soon be covered in 6 inches of snow.

The next morning, I slide into Uncle Joe’s aviator jacket and head into the blizzard. After dropping off Aunt Betty near St Aloysius Church, we walk up to Newark’s Penn Station to catch a PATH train into Manhattan. The First Xornaes de Llingua, Cultura y Lliteratura d’Asturies are taking place at the downtown campus of Pace University. Organized by Professor Andrés Villagrá, they are timed to coincide with the presence of an Asturian delegation to St Patrick’s Day parade on March 17. Given the sudden snowstorm, however, we are unsure of the schedule. “Isn’t it true that whenever Asturians get together, things tend to self-organize on-the-fly?” Art asks innocently. I don’t answer, but laugh inwardly. I think about Joycean ‘Irish fun’ and how it tends to make schedules elastic.

Bagpipes vs soccer

Professor Villagra opens the Xornaes with a quote by Einstein (‘Only those countries that understand how to generate knowledge and how to protect it will be successful’). What is Asturias doing to stem the brain drain? How is it preserving its culture?

He goes on to speak about the assimilation process in immigrant communities. Bagpipes vs soccer, that seems to be the question. Is it smarter to learn how to play the bagpipes or to play soccer? Villagra refers to a humorous tale about Asturians in early 20th century Mexico City in which women questioned men’s tastes. The women’s identity abroad was reinforced, ironically because they had no direct contact with their homeland. Alberto Prieto-Calixto, a professor of modern languages at Rollins College in Florida, uses statistics to show how emigration has impacted on Asturian society. From 1820 to 1950, he estimates a total 150,000 Asturians settled in the US. There are 68,816 registered voters living abroad, according to La Voz de Asturias. In some counties, up to 40% of the population is gone. As for young émigrés (referred to as ‘urban myths’ in a 2005 speech by Vicente A. Areces, the regional president), Prieto-Calixto thinks 30,000 have left the Principality in the past 10 years. With an average age of 33, they are often the most talented.

Pablo Xuan Manzano, of the Academia de la Llingua Asturiana (ALLA), provides an overview of his institution. The first steps to create an Asturian language academy were taken in 1790 by enlightened individuals such as Gaspar Melchor de Xovellanos. But it was not until 1980 that the ALLA was officially established by decree. Its goal is to work on linguistic normalization, literary promotion, school curricula, publishing and academic research. In 1984-85, towns like Cangas del Narcea began to register children for classes in the local language. However, because Asturian is forced to compete with other subjects like French, it is perpetually at a disadvantage. Changes introduced in 2007 by the Education Council of Asturias further jeopardize its survival. Seated next to me is Laura Villa, a PhD student in linguistics at the City University of New York. She is originally from Cangas del Narcea and we exchange gross-out stories about eating caramiel.la (pronounced CA-RA-MIE-TSA; the cooked face of a hog), all of it in hearty West Asturian.

Pilar Fernandez, an educational advisor at the Spanish Consulate in New York, takes on the Surdimientu. The verb surdir in Asturian means ‘to arise’ or ‘to blossom’. She harks back to the 1970s, when the first generation of the language rights movement began with Conceyu Bable. A photograph of Xuan Xose Sanchez Vicente, now a candidate for the Partíu Asturianista (PAS), shows him having an alderique with other members of Conceyu Bable in 1974. All of Pilar’s talk is in Asturian, which is refreshing to hear in a lecture hall in downtown Manhattan. She mentions how difficult it is to drill into people’s heads that Asturian can be used not only on a farm in Payares, but also at a business meeting in Llanera. “We just have to find the right register,” she says. After referring to the 3rd generation of the Surdimientu, she ends with a poem by Xuan Bello: Conozo un país onde al mundu-y llamen Zarréu, Grandiel.la, Picu la Mouta, Paniceiros…

Paquita Suarez-Coalla, of the Borough of Manhattan Community College, reads excerpts of interviews with 17 peasant women who speak about their experiences during the Spanish Civil War. Published by Trabe in 2001, her book ('La mio vida ye una novela') is a touching account of life trajectories that have been eclipsed by time. Lucia Fernandez, born in Grullos (Candamo) in 1901, is one of them. She talks about sleeping in her parents’ horru (the Asturian granary) until it burns down one day because of a stray candle, about hauling stones on her way back from work to build a cowshed after her father dies of a stroke. The day she married, at age 33, she was so embarrassed that she gave the priest a cigar so he would not reveal the fact that she was 5 years older than her bridegroom. Despite the attempt to hide her age, it was the first thing the priest announced on her wedding day. “Priests are different these days,” Lucia says in the book. She died in 2001 at the age of 100.

Bob Martinez, a biology professor at Quinnipiac University in Connecticut, takes us on a personal journey back to 1913. That is the year his grandparents Victor (‘Viturón’) and Josefa (‘Sena’) left Castrillón to take a boat headed for Ellis Island, via Liverpool. Upon arrival in New York, they had $40 in their pockets. After stints in Missouri and Kansas, they settled in Spelter, West Virginia, to work at the zinc factories. In turn, they helped relatives in Asturias find jobs at the local Ziesing factory. For a while, his grandmother took on boaders, most of them in their late teens and early twenties. Viturón, at 5 ft 8 in, kept them all in line with a bullwhip. The creation of an Asturian-American web site has helped reconnect Martinez with other Asturian families that settled in West Virginia. Created by Art Zoller Wagner, www.asturianus.org works as a discussion list for all things Asturian. One of the things Martinez is looking forward to doing on his next trip to Asturias is sea barnacles. I had to rush out of the Xornaes, so I was unable to share a barnacle story. But it unfolds at low tide on a wild beach known as Barayo. And it is entirely deserving of a bullwhip.

Jim Fernandez, the grandson of Asturian immigrants and a literature professor at NYU, speaks about an upcoming exhibit at the Museum of the City of New York. ‘Facing Fascism: New York & the Spanish Civil War’ will be open to the public from March 23rd to August 12th. Part of the exhibit is an audiovisual presentation with interviews of New Yorkers who fought from 1936-39 in the Abraham Lincoln Brigades, almost a third of whom were progressive Jews. Fernandez also cites the history of Asturian, Galician and Basque migration to New York City in the early 20th century. In the 1930s, the East River was still an area of intense port activity. “It made sense that people from northern Spain worked at the navy yards and in ancillary businesses,” says Fernandez. During that decade, the Centro Asturiano de Nueva York officially backed the 2nd Spanish Republic, eventually creating a Sociedad Confederada to offer material support to the loyalists.

The Asturian community in Tampa, Florida, sent close to $200,000 to back the Republican cause during the Spanish Civil War, according to Tony Carreño. As it turns out, Tampa has a fascinating history of cigar production that peaked in the 1930s. The grandson of immigrants from Pereda (Grau) and Brieves (Valdes), Carreño is also part Sicilian. By 1930, Tampa had an estimated 9,000 native-born Spaniards, most of them Asturians and Galicians who had transited through Cuba. The city became the cigar capital of the world after Havana lost its appeal due to political instability. Immigrant outposts like Ybor City received their largest influx from 1902 to 1914. There was even a neighborhood known as ‘Barrio Candamo’ because of 75 families from Aces and Grullos. Most worked at the cigar factories, but others, like Carreño’s grandfather, worked at dairy farms linked to the hospital of the Centro Español. He shows pictures of people dancing to a bagpipe in 1937. The names of candidates currently running for Tampa’s city council attest to the city’s Asturian fingerprint: Barcena, Tamargo, Miranda. Carreño is passionate about restoring Tampa’s Centro Asturiano, an architectural jewel made of limestone. Membership peaked there in 1940 at 8,000. “We need to get young people involved. Whether it’s through dance, cooking classes or a bagpiper’s band, people should know that Tampa is as unique as New Orleans,” he says.

By the time the bagpipers from Corvera d’Asturies show up at Pace University, the auditorium is freezing. Professor Villagrá finishes his presentation on migrations as a topic in Asturian-language literature. There are interesting remarks about the ‘indianos’ or ‘americanos’, often pigeonholed by society into four categories: conservative, retired, innovative or failed. Then Villagrá looks warily at his watch after the bagpipers, led by Bras Rodrigo, perform their 4th piece, a muñeira from Valdeferreiros (Ibias). “Guys, we really have to wrap it up,” says Villagrá. And so, after a final ‘Asturies, Patria Querida’ and amid a migration of academics and pipers toward the leftovers of a giant empanada, I zip up Aunt Betty’s aviator jacket and head back out into the cold.

END
Last edited by is on Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:58 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Thanks for the report, guys, sure wish I could have been there! I'm happy to hear that it was a success, as might have been expected, and that new such symposiums are being planned.
Congratulations to one and all!
is

Xornaes de Llingua Asturiana, NYC

Post by is »

[Art: An English version is above.]

Güei vienres (23 de marzu 2007) asoleya esti articulu de las Xornadas de L.lingua Asturiana en Nueva York el selmanariu Les Noticies. Vei salir con dous semeyas, la primeira de los participantes na Pace University ya la segunda conos cartelos de la campaña municipal en Tampa (Florida). Gracias fondas a toos los que lo fixeron esto posible.

La chaqueta de pilotu de Tía Betty nas Xornadas de L.lingua de Nueva York
18 de marzu 2007

Nueva York: Betty Fernandez, 82, vei al fondu la l.lariega pa garrar la xaqueta azul de pilotu del sou maríu. Toi acabante aportar de Baltimore a Newark xunto con Art Zoller Wagner, el sou sobrín. “Meca, cuasi nun yera quién a baxala del gabitu. Hai tantu tiempu,” diz Tia Betty cona cabeza gacha. “Seique ye grande pa ti, pero ye que Joe Fernandez yera un paisanón!” Gracias a Joe, que naceu en West Virginia en 1921 de padres asturianos, soi quién a sobrevivir el fríu de St. Patrick’s en Nueva York en 2007.

Pula nueite, sacamos a Tia Betty a cenar feijoada de mariscos nu restaurante Fernandes II, xunto a l’avenida Raymond. Na tarxeta, fain publicidá nun amestau de portugués: ‘Ambiente familiar, Portuguese, Spanish, American cuisine, Rodizio. Obrigado por sua visita’. De la que entramos de la xelera, una familia gal.lega ta comiendo platos de marisco. Nu bar hai un paisanu sentau en chándal blanco axoxando un vasu de vinho verde. Los camareros falan aduces en portugués. “Nun m’imaxinaba tanta xente eiquí cenando. Sabéis qu’esto foi un bancu?” diz Tía Betty conos güeyos grandes.

La barriada del ‘Ironbound ‘ en Newark nun para de dar vueltas. Na década de 1930 yera alemán ya polacu. Anguañu, chaman-y ‘Pequeno Portugal’ pula inmigración de xente que vieno de las Azores na década de 1970. Arrequeixao pente vías de tren ya aceirías, ye una especie de capsula de tiempo pa las folas d’inmigracion al area metropolitano de Nueva York, que s’esparde dica Nueva Jersey. Los portugueses trouxeron a gal.legos, ya darréu aportaren brasileños ya xente de Cabo Verde. Tamién hai mexicanos, ya non l.lonxe de Cortland Street hai vivienda social, na mayor parte p’afro-americanos. Pero da igual—mañana vei tar tou embaxo 6 pulgadas de neve.

L.levántome ceu, pongo la chaqueta de pilotu de Joe ya salgo ensuito a la tormenta de neve. Depués deixar a Tia Betty cerquina la Ilesia de San Aloysius, Art ya you entainamos a Penn Station pa garrar el PATH a Manhattan. Hai que dir al campus de Pace University pa les Xornaes de Llingua, Cultura y Lliteratura d’Asturies. El Profesor Andrés Villagrá ye l’encargau d’amañalu tou pa coincidir cona presencia d’una delegación asturiana a la marcha del Dia de St. Patrick’s (17 de marzu). Sicasí, nun tamos seguros de l’horariu. “Nun ye verdá que de la que s’axunten asturianos tou se fai una migaya espontaneo?” entruga Art. Nun-y retruco nada, pero toi riéndome per dientro. Pienso na folixa a la irlandesa ya cómo los horarios se tornan elásticos.

Gaitas vs balones

El profesor Villagra abre las Xornadas con una cita d’Einstein: ‘Namai los países con xeitu pa xenerar ya protexer sous conocimientos, sedrán quién a valise.’ Qué se fai n’Asturies pa torgar l’afuxida de celebros? Qué se fai pa preservar la cultura asturiana?

De seguío, Villagra fala del procesu d’asimilación. Ye más intelixente deprender a tocar la gaita ou a xugar al balón? Esa ye la entruga nuna cosadiel.la de Mexico DF metanos del sieglu XX. Las muyeres, siempre con bonos arimos a la tradición, pensaban que se podía faer las dous cousas. La sua identidá asturiana feixose inda más fuerte na emigración, irónicamente, porque taban l.lonxe de la tierrina. Poro, nun tenían vergoña de deprender la gaita. Alberto Prieto-Calixto, profesor na Rollins College de Florida, amuesa con estadísticas la bayura de los emigraos na sociedá asturiana d’anguaño. De 1820 a 1950, propón un númberu de 150,000 asturianos al.lugaos nu territorio d’Estaos Xuníos. En 2007, según La Voz de Asturias, hai 68,816 votantes rexistraos nel estranxeiru. En del.los conceyos, la población emigrao algama el 40%. No que cinca la emigración moza (‘lleendes urbanes’, según una declaración d’Areces en 2005), Prieto-Calixto diz que 30,000 deixaron el Principau nos 10 anos cabeiros. Con una media de 33 anos, ye seique la xente de más talento.
Con Pablo Xuan Manzano, de l’Academia de la L.lingua Asturiana (ALLA), faemos un repás del trabayu de la sua institución. Los primeiros pasos pa crear una academia de la l.lingua tomoulos Gaspar Melchor de Xovellanos en 1790. Pero nun foi fasta 1980 que l’ALLA se punxo a trabayar de forma oficial. El sou envís ye la normalización de la l.lingua, promoción l.literaria, el deprendizaxe na escuola, publicaciones ya xeiras de investigación. En 1984-85, sitios como Cangas del Narcea entamaron a matricular a los nenos na l.lingua. Sicasí, l’asturiano inda tien que competir na educación secundaria con materias como’l francés. Un cambeu nel curriculu propuestu pula Conseyería d’Educación fai inda más abegosu l’espoxigue de la l.lingua asturiana. Sentada xunto a mi ta Laura Villa, una estudiante de doctorau en l.lingüistica na Universidá de la Ciudá de Nueva York (CUNY). Ye de Cangas del Narcea ya nun tris tamos falando de xintar caramiel.la. “Dicen mious primos d’Allande que lo meyor ia la oreya ya’l focicu,” digo-y.

Pilar Fernandez, asesora d’educacion nel Consulau Español de Nueva York, fala del Surdimientu. El verbo ‘surdir’ ou ‘xurdir’, entama Pilar, quier decir salir a la superficie. El Surdimientu ye’l nomatu que se-y diera al movimientu l.lingüisticu d’Asturias na década de 1970. Foi cuando biltou la primer xeneracion d’escritores ya activistas alrodiu de Conceyu Bable. Pilar amuesanos una semeya de Xuan Xose Sanchez Vicente nun alderique con Xose Lluis Garcia Arias en 1974. Toa la presentación ye n’asturianu, que presta muitu sentir nun aula d’universidá de Manhattan. La asesora del Consulau cuenta lo enguedeyao que ye meter na tiesta de la xente que la l.lingua l.lariega nun ye namai pa falala nuna corte en Payares. Tamién sirve pa una reunión d’empresa en Llanera. “Ye cuestión d’atoupar el rexistru afayadizu,” diz Pilar. Darréu de mentar a del.las figuras de la tercera xeneración del Surdimientu, fina la sua presentación con un poema de Xuan Bello: Conozo un país onde al mundu-y llamen Zarréu, Grandiel.la, Picu la Mouta, Paniceiros…

Paquita Suarez-Coalla, de la Borough of Manhattan Community College, feixo 17 entrevistas con muyeres campesinas asturianas sobre la sua esperiencia na Guerra Civil. Asoleyao por Trabe en 2001, el sou l.libru (‘La mio vida ye una novela’) tamién ye una esbilla emocionante de cousas que pasaron n’aldea asturiana de posguerra. Son hestorias de fame ya l.luita pula dignida. Lucía Fernandez, per exemplu, naceu en Grullos (Candamo) en 1901. Cuenta como taba avezada a durmir nel horru fasta que un dia aburiouse tou con una vela, como tornaba a casa de trabayar ya garraba piedras nel camin pa echa-y un gabitu a sua mai que taba faciendo una corte depues de que morriera el mariu. El dia que se casou, Lucia tenia 33 anos. Yera tala la sua vergoña que-y diera al cura un puru pa que nun dixera que yera 5 anos mayor qu’el mozu. Con tou ya con eso, foi lo primeiro que dixera el cura na ilesia. “Agora los curas ya nun son tan aquello,” diz Lucia nel l.libru. Morreu en 2001 a la edá de 100 anos.

Bob Martinez, profesor de bioloxia na Universida Quinnipiac de Connecticut, l.levanos nun viaxe personal dica’l añu 1913. Esi foi l’añu en que los sous buolos Victor (‘Vituron’) ya Josefa (‘Sena’) deixaron Castrillon pa garrar un barcu en direicion a Ellis Island en Nueva York. El barcu facia escala en Liverpool ya chamabase el ‘Adriatic’. En chegando a Nueva York, namai tenían $40 en bolsu. Darreu de trabayar en Missouri ya Kansas, al.lugaronse na comunida de Spelter, West Virginia. Aidaron a al.legaos d’Asturias dir a la gueta de trabayu nos fornos de zinc de la fabrica Ziesing. Del.los anos, sua buola Sena tuviera a xente viviendo en casa, la mayor parte rapazucos de 17 a 22 anos acabantes chegar a America. Paez que Vituron, que nun media mas de 1 metro 60, mantenialos a raya con un virgayu. La creacion d’un sitiu web pa los asturianos-americanos de West Virginia foi una manera pa que Martinez volviera a tar en contautu con outros descendientes d’asturianos. El sitiu d’Internet d’Art Zoller Wagner (www.asturianus.org) furrula como un foru de debate. Una cousa que Martinez quixera faer n’Asturias ye probar los percebes. Nun tuve tiempu de conta-y una hestoria secreta. Tien que ver con percebes ya la mar baxo na playa de Barayo (Valdes). Pero igual apaez Vituron col sou virgayu, asina que meyor nun contar mas.

Jim Fernandez ye nietu d’asturianos ya profesor de l.literatura na New York University (NYU). Ta nas Xornadas pa falar d’una amuesa que vei inaugurase nel Museum of the City of New York el 23 de marzu. Col titulu ‘Facing Fascism: New York & the Spanish Civil War’ vei poder vese fasta’l 12 d’agostu. Hai abondas entrevistas a neoyorquinos que l.luitaron de 1936 a 1939 conas Brigadas Abraham Lincoln, cuasi un terciu d’el.los xudios progresistas que naguaban por parar l’avance de Hitler en Europa. Fernandez tamien fala de la migración d’asturianos, gal.legos ya vascos a Nueva York al entamu del sieglu XX. Nos anos 30 del sieglu pasau, la zona portuaria de l’East River tenia unos cais con un traficu mercantil intenso. “Tien xaciu que xente del norte d’España viniera p’aco a trabayar nos cais ya n’empresas ausiliares,” diz Fernandez. Na década de 1930, el Centro Asturianu de Nueva York sofitou al gobiernu de la Republica. Tolos centros asturianos del pais axuntaronse nuna confederacion pa unviar material pa España, diz Fernandez.

La comunida asturiana de Tampa, Florida, mandou $200,000 a la Republica nos años de la Guerra Civil, según Tony Carreño. Resulta que na economia de la ciuda, la estaya del tabaco foi perimportante na década de 1930. Tampa tornouse na capital mundial del tabaco depues de que La Habana perdiera el sou cache pula inestabilida política. Nietu d’inmigrantes de Brieves (Valdes) ya Pereda (Grau), Tony tamien ye meta siciliano. Diz que nel añu 1930 habian censaos unos 9,000 asturianos ya gal.legos en Tampa. Aportaren a Florida depues de pasar 40 dias en Cuba, daquel.la una medida cautelaría. Pente 1902 ya 1914, sitios de gran inmigracion talos como Ybor City sirvieron d’abel.lugu pa los asturianos. El ‘Barriu Candamo’ amuesa como s’axuntaban en carrapiel.los los emigrantes pula informacion que diba de boca en boca. Nesti casu d’Ybor City tratabase de 75 familias d’Aces ya Grullos (Candamu). La mayor parte trabayaba nas tabacaleiras, pero outros, como el buolo de Tony, punxose a trabayar col ganau del hospital del Centro Español, igual que fairia en casa. Amuesa semeyas de xente en 1937 beil.lando a la gaita nel Centro Asturianu. Los nomes de candidatos a la Casa Conceyu de Tampa tamien prueban los raigones asturianos: Barcena, Tamargo, Miranda. Anguañu, Tony ta enfotau na restauracion del Centro Asturianu, un tesouro arquitectónico. En 1940, el centro chegou a tener 8,000 socios. “Fai falta involucrar a la xente mozo,” diz Tony. “Nun sei si sedra altravies de clases de bail.le, de cocina ou con una banda gaitas, pero la xente tien que saber que Tampa ye igual d’orixinal que Nueva Orleans.”

De la que chegan los gaiteiros de la Banda Gaites Corvera d’Asturies, l’auditoriu de Pace University ta xelao. El Profesor Villagra fai un repas de la l.literatura n’asturiano que tien como tema la emigración. Hai del.los comentarios perinteresantes sobre como ve la xente a los ‘indianos’ ou ‘americanos’ cuando tornan a Asturias. Fai cuatro categorías: conservadores, retiraos, innovadores ya fracasaos. Depues de una muñeira de Valdeferreiros (Ibias), Villagra mira pal sou relo ya diz: “Tan echándonos d’eiqui. Hai que marchar, xente.” Entos, col ‘Asturies, Patria Querida’ hai una migración xeneral de gaiteiros ya académicos dica una empanada. You, xubo la cremallera de la chaqueta d’aviador de Tia Betty ya vuelvo a xurdir al friu de Nueva York.

END

Return to “Symposio: Asturians in US - Asturianos en los EU”