I Need Help: World Culture Day Project

If you can't figure out where else to post, say it here.<br>
Si no sabes dónde poner tu tema, pongalo aquí.

Moderator: Moderators

Barbara Alonso Novellino

I Need Help: World Culture Day Project

Post by Barbara Alonso Novellino »

Hi,

My Grandaughter as a 6th Grade Project has to do a World Culture Day. She chose Spain, of course,

If anyone out there can help us with pictures or anything that she can use I would appreciate it very much.

She has to dress as a Spanard, talk about the culture, agriculture, etc. If anyone can send us some postcards or anything else I would appreciate it.

Thank you,

Barbara Alonso Novellino
Chris
Translator

Post by Chris »

¿Asturiano o Español?
Barbara Alonso Novellino

The report has to be on Spain...customs, agriculture, everything Spanish.

Barbara Alonso Novellino
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Barbara, I think this would be right for starters:

Official web side of the Royal Household in English.

http://www.casareal.es/index-iden-idweb.html
http://www.casareal.es/boda/

Official government site
http://www.la-moncloa.es/default?idioma=en-GB

National Parks: here's a feature on how to create your own posters from photos of our National Parks (Picos de Europa is the one in Asturias)
http://servicios.mma.es/parques/triptic ... pticos.jsp

Map of Spain's regions
http://www.miradorvr.com/mapa.htm

Art and culture:
http://museoprado.mcu.es/ihome.html

She can also look up statistics on the internet: population, history, etc.

I hope she has fun.
Cheers
Mafalda

ayuda

Post by Mafalda »

Nos vendria bien saber que edad tiene la niña, porque quizas no se correspondan los cursos con los de aqui, aqui un niño que hace 6º, tiene 12 años.

La Web de un colegio asuriano, concretamente el C.R.A. de Castrillon - Illas, que agrupa las escuelas de Pillarno, Naveces, La Peral, El Ponton, Callezuela, y San Miguel de Quiloño. Aqui estudian los niños de 6 a 12 años.

http://web.educastur.princast.es/cp/castrill/

Aqui quizas encontreis algunos recursos:

http://www.guiastur.com/CULTURA/CULTURA.htm

Una pequeña reseña del Principado:

http://fresno.pntic.mec.es/~icup0004/jo ... astur.html

...Aunque quizas no sea esto lo que buscas,
"Comienza tu día con una sonrisa, verás lo divertido que es ir por ahí desentonando con todo el mundo."
Mi amiguita Libertad ________Image
Bob

Post by Bob »

Mafalda has made some very good points and suggested some useful resources.

I would suggest that she also email or call the tourist offices (government sponsored) in Asturias for brochures, maps, etc. The one is Aviles is at:

Oficina de Información Turística
c/ Ruíz Gómez, 21
E-33402 Avilés
Tel: 985-544325 Fax: 985-546315
turismo@ayto-aviles.es

Unlike some of the others, they are open year round. The SPanish consulate in New York may also have useful information. See:

Cónsul General, D. Juan Manuel Egea Ibáñez
Dirección: 150 East 58th St., 30th floor.- New York, N.Y.10155

Teléfonos: 355 40 80/ 40 81/ 40 82/ 40 85/ 40 86/ 40 90/ 40 91
Tel. desde España: 1 212 355 40 80/ 40 81/ 40 82/ 40 85/ 40 86/ 40 90/ 40 91
Fax: (1 212) 644 37 51
E-mail: cog.nuevayork@mae.es

Bob
Barbara Alonso Novellino

Thank you so much for the useful information...It is greatly appreciated. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Barbara
Barbara Alonso Novellino

I really appreciate all you you have done to help my Grandaughter. The informaiton is GREAT!

Again, Muchas Gracias

Barbara Alonso Novellino
Berodia

Post by Berodia »

En mis tiempos de estudiantes, no había internet ni nada parecido. Una de las formas que tenía para recabar información sobre determinados países, era solicitarla por escrito a la embajada de dicho país.

Saludos.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Chris wrote:¿Asturiano o Español?
Chris has asked an essential question.

I'm pleased that Barbara's granddaughter has chosen Spain, but I'm uncomfortable with the possibility that the school system or teacher is limiting the investigation to "nation-states" as if the people, cultures, and local environments within nation-states are homogeneous.

I wrote in another thread about how in my Spanish language class, the teacher and a visitor insisted that Asturianu isn't a language. I see this is a similar kind of issue.

To be honest, I'm ambivalent. The reality of any education is that we have to summarize and categorize information or we'd just have a bucket of unorganized data. But reality doesn't fit into neatly organized schemas. In a true education, we would find a way to recognize this problem.

How is the poor girl going to summarize the diversity within Spain? She could take the easy way out and talk about the marketing myth version of Spain: bullfights, flamenco, Castilian, the royalty, olive trees, and a hot, dry climate. Would that be educational?

I'm not suggesting that the granddaughter become an activist for nationalist issues. She's a sixth grader. I do think, however, that this is an issue of intellectual integrity. The way we conceptualize our world transforms the world, so it's important that we think carefully about the vision of that world that we want to promote.

-----------------------
Chris wrote:¿Asturiano o Español?
Chris ha formulado una pregunta esencial.

Estoy contento que la nieta de Barbara ha elegido España, pero soy incómodo con la posibilidad que el sistema escolar o el profesor está limitando la investigación a los estados-naciones" como si el pueblo, las culturas, y los ambientes locales dentro de un estado-nación sean homogéneos.

Escribí en otro hilo sobre que en una clase de la lengua española, el profesor y un visitante insistieron que asturianu no es una lengua. A mi es un tema similar.

Ser honesto, soy ambivalente. La realidad de cualquier educación es que tenemos que resumir y categorizar la información o acabamos de tener un cubo de datos desorganizados. Pero la realidad no cabe en esquemas cuidadosamente organizados. En una educación verdadera, encontraríamos una manera de reconocer este problema.

¿Cómo va la muchacha pobre a resumir la diversidad dentro de España? Ella podría tomar la opción fácil y hablar de la versión mítica de España de la mercadotecnia: las corridas de toros, el flamenco, castellano, la familia real, los árboles olivos, y un clima caliente y seca. ¿Eso sería educativo?

No estoy sugiriendo que la nieta se hace un activista para asuntos nacionalistas. Ella tiene doce años, más o menos. Pienso, sin embargo, que ésta es una cuestión de integridad intelectual.

La manera en que conceptuamos nuestro mundo transforma el mundo, así que es importante que pensamos cuidadosamente de la visión de ese mundo que deseamos promover.
Chris
Translator

Post by Chris »

Yo creo que tiene una oportunidad para saber un poco mas de dónde viene su familia y lo puede hacer de una forma divertida y lúdica de esta manera cuando sea mayor no necesita de hacer foros como este para saberlo. No desaprovechar esta oportunidad
Barbara Alonso Novellino

Chris,

Thank you for your comments.

You have to understand she is 11 years old and is in the 6th Grade. I said in my original post that this was a World Culture Day Project. All the chiildren in her class were able to choose a Country that they would report on. She, and some other students, picked Spain, she was lucky to get it as it was her first choice.

The whole theme of the day is...make a brochure of their Country, they have a rather large board where they will put pictures, maps and things of interest...then they have to write a 3 page speech and present it to the entire school. Also, they will dress in the dress of their Country and make a dish that is served there.

Being so young how would anyone expect her to speak about the diversity in Spain. She will present pictures of my Grandparents who were farmers in Spain, speak about Flamenco Dancing, Royal Family as well as the President...and all things of interest. What she is going to do is not the EASY way out as you put it...its taking a great deal of research and thought.

Barbara
Bob

Post by Bob »

Barbara,

I think you are actually referring to one of Art's responses, not to one by Chris.

What is important, in my opinion, is to help your granddaughter become aware of her heritage in an age-appropriate way. If her teacher has designated Spain as a category of presentation, so be it. I hope she mentions Asturias and some of what she has learned about it, but I don't think anyone expects her to be political. At her age, I had little idea that Asturias was different from most of the rest of Spain, and I am still learning about it and still learning to read asturianu.

Please give her my best wishes. If she needs photos of the Asturias countryside or of things Asturian, let me know. I can probably help.
Chris
Translator

Post by Chris »

bueno pues a bailar flamenco y a cocinar paella y flan .... jejejeje y no olvidar la Alambra, el acueducto de segovia, la Giralda y como no la Sagrada Familia de Barcelona.

-Suerte-

Return to “General Discussion - Discusión general”