Merluza

Recipes for fish, shellfish, etc.<br>
Recetas para pescados, mariscos, etc.

Moderators: almudena, Moderators

Eric Smith Fernandez

Merluza

Post by Eric Smith Fernandez »

Cuando fuí a Asturies para visitar a la familia mia, comí un plato que se llama, "Merluza" (creo que con salsa de sidra y guisantes). ¿Alguíen tiene una receta?

I hope my spelling in castellano was correct.

When I went to Asturias to visit my family, I ate a dish called "Merluza" it had a kind of gravy made from Cider, I believe and it had peas mixed in it. I wanted to know if anyone had a recipe to post?
Bob

Post by Bob »

For norteamericanos who do not read castellano, merluza is hake, which is similar to cod. Although the species off the coast of Asturias and that in waters of the EEUU are somehwat different, the flavor and texture are quite similar.

I'll check for a recipe when I get home after work today.
Last edited by Bob on Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

When I lived in the States I used to buy some excellent frozen "haddock", which was the closest to merluza I found. I suppose it's the same as "hake", but I'm not sure.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Hake is merluza, but I think haddock is usually called merlango or pescadilla in castellano.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Merluza a la sidra

6 slices of hake
1 small onion
2 cloves of garllic
parsley
hot pepper (shopped on dried and flaked)
1/2 bottle of dry cider (Asturian, of course, althouogh some dry New England ciders are also very good (such as Russell Farms from Massachusetts)
olive oil
salt

In a heavy pan, fry the chopped onion and garlic in a good quantity of olive oil, add a handful of chopped parsley and hot pepper to taste. Add the hake, seasoned and dredged in flour. Cover with cider and simmer for twenty minutes in a covered pan. Serve hot directly from the pan. If you like you an add small clams, asparagus or peas toward the end of the cooking time.
Last edited by Bob on Sat May 06, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
granda

Post by granda »

Haddock translates as abadejo is Spanish. It is related to the cod familiy and in English is also known as offshore hake.

Pescadilla on other hand is a small hake (I believe that it has be to smaller of one kilo in weight)

No se como se traduce merlango!
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

The common names we give to fish, plants, etc. are a miserable way to communicate across cultures because the same name is often used for a number of species.

"Merlango" is defined as "haddock" in my dictionary, but "haddock"is defined as "eglefino". That illustrates the confusion perfectly.

We often call "pescadilla" by the name "whiting" in US English, but I think that we also use the name "whiting" for a variety of different species.

In my dictionary "abadejo" is defined as cod, but since cod and haddock are related, that may be a simplification. (I didn't realize that haddock is similar to
cod.)

Here I often find "hake" or "merluza" sold under the name of "steak fish" in cross-sectional slices.

Earlier, Bob posted this interesting link:
http://www.congelados-basilio.es/productos/index.htm

------------------------------

Los nombres comunes que damos a los peces, las plantas, etc. son un manera lamentable de comunicar entre las culturas porque el mismo nombre se utiliza a menudo para un número de especies.

"Merlango" se define en mi diccionario como "haddock", pero "haddock" se define como "eglefino ". Esto ilustra perfectamente la confusión.

A menudo llamamos "pescadilla" por el nombre de "whiting" en el inglés de los EE.UU., pero creo que también se usa el nombre de "whiting" para una variedad de especies diferentes.

En mi diccionario "abadejo" se define como "cod" [bacalao], pero como cod [bacalao] y el haddock son relacionados, puede ser una simplificación. (No me di cuenta de que haddock es similar al cod [bacalao].)

Aquí de vez y cuando encuentro a "hake" o "merluza" con el nombre de "steak fish" vendido en rodajas.

Anteriormente, Bob publicó este interesante enlace:
http://www.congelados-basilio.es/productos/index.htm

Return to “Seafood - Mariscos”