Toxic fire in Pozo Maria Luisa -Sama and Ciaño evacuated

People, history, places, resources, & more.<br>
El pueblo, historia, lugares, recursos, & más.

Moderators: mariamatoyos, Moderators

Terechu

Toxic fire in Pozo Maria Luisa -Sama and Ciaño evacuated

Post by Terechu »

A fire broke out on sublevel 10 of the historic coal mine Pozo María Luisa in Ciaño, Langreo, yesterday morning. The conveyor belt connecting this pit and the Pozo Sotón to the washing plant Modesta caught fire early yesterday morning and the towns of Ciaño and Sama had to be partially evacuated owing to the heavy, toxic smoke (conveyor belts are made of similar rubber as car tires) and the carbon monoxide. At this point the fire has not yet been extinguished, as the conveyor belt is 4 km long and the mine rescue brigade has to proceed with extreme caution to prevent flare ups that could cause methane explosions. Besides, coal has a bad habit of burning easily :lol: .
Here's to the men of HUNOSA's rescue brigade, all volunteers, who have been working day and night under extreme danger, because they are among Europe's finest.

¡Por la Brigada de Salvamento Minero de HUNOSA!

http://www.lne.es/secciones/noticia.jsp ... 6525072487
Bob

Post by Bob »

Coal mine fires also bring to mind the risk of explosion from trapped pockets of methane and the simple mixture of coal dust and air. Were all of the miners successfully rescued?

Coal mining is an inherently dangerous job. Witness the West Virginia mine disaster last year, for just one example. The bravery of people (whether professional or volunteers) who go into the mines to rescue the miners is astounding, as is that of the firefighters who enter burning buildings to search for children. Whatever horrors we inflict on one another through war, etc., there are still these beacons of hope and decency to suggest that we are capable of something much better.

By the way, my father worked as a firefighter (bombero) for well over 30 years, and my non-Asturian grandfather began working as a coal miner in Pennsylvania at age 12, simply to support his family. He was the oldest child in a family whose coal miner father had been murdered for his pay.
Terechu

Langreo almost back to normal

Post by Terechu »

Bob, although nearly 200 people had to be taken to the hospitals for respiratory problems, the morning shifts of the two pits concerned (Pozo Maria Luisa and Pozo Sotón) were all evacuated in time and no one was seriously injured. The rescue squad worked insice the pits and the firemen outside. The temperature inside the pit was so high that their helmets were deformed.
You being the son of a fire fighter know what kind of people they are. They are a very special breed, their courage is way beyond bravery, it's the finest of human traits: love of their fellow man.

Back in the 80's my company trained some of the rescue squad leaders in the use of American handheld gas detection devices, that were revolutionary here in Europe. (The only portable equipment until then were only oxygen meters or methane detectors). I got to meet those men, some of them not so very young anymore, and they left a lasting impression. Like your father they were lions within.

To "El León" and all other lions who do the dangerous jobs everybody runs away from!

http://www.lne.es/secciones/noticia.jsp ... cia=511363
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bob, aunque hubo que llevar a los hospitales a casi 200 personas por problemas respiratorios, los turnos de mañana de los dos pozos (María Luisa y Sotón) fueron evacuados a tiempo y no hubo heridos de gravedad. La brigada de salvamento trabajaba dentro del pozo y los bomberos fuera. La temperatura dentro del pozo era tan alta que deformó los cascos de los equipos de rescate.

Siendo como eres hijo de bombero asturiano, sabes que tipo de gente son. Son una raza especial y su coraje va más allá de la valentía, es el más noble sentimiento humano: el del amor al prójimo.

En los 80, la empresa en la que trabajaba, dió unos cursillos sobre el uso de detectores de gases portátiles americanos a los jefes de la brigada de salvamento de entonces. Eran aparatos revolucionarios en Europa, que medían metano, monóxido de carbono y oxígeno todo en uno. Hasta entonces sólo había detectores de metano (grisuómetros) y detectores de falta de oxígeno (oxímetros), pero por separado. Pues bien, conocí a aquellos hombres, alguno ya no tan joven, y me impresionaron. Como tu padre, son auténticos leones por dentro.

Así pues, ¡Por El León y todos los leones que hacen el trabajo del que todos los demás huímos!

Return to “About Asturias - Sobre Asturies”