Summer rental needed in Asturias

Restaurants, sights, lodging, festivals, etc.<br>
Restaurantes, lugares de interés, alojamiento, fiestas, etc.
is

A Casoa, Taramunde/Taramundi

Post by is »

http://www.terrae.net/acasoa/index.htm

Try this link, Bob & Don. Click on 'Entrar', then on the picture of the door and then on 'Album de fotos' to get an idea of the place.

This is the small county of Taramunde/Taramundi in westernmost Asturias where the whole eco-tourist movement started regionally. A Casoa (the big house, in the local Galician) apparently has 5 rooms and in theory can fit 10 people--but given that 4 of those are kids, you may be in luck. It's also a great deal cheaper than the other places I've seen.

I guess the downside here is the distance to the coast, about 25km to Vegadeo and then a few more to the ocean. But the mountain area here is bucolic and there's a very interesting ethnographic complex nearby called 'Os Teixois' showcasing the metalworking tradition of western Asturias powered entirely by hydraulics.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

In 2005, I think it was, Carlos took us to see Taramundi. The area is breathtakingly beautiful and the town is charming. There are a few good restaurants in town, too. The ethnographic museums (in Boal, Taramundi, Grandas de Salime, and Tineo, I think) nearby are very interesting, and Taramundi is fairly close to the castro at Coaña, a Celtic hill fort. There are parks, too, but I've not visited them. I'd recommend it as a wonderful vacation place.

--------------------------

En el año 2005, creo, Carlos nos llevó para hacer una visita a Taramundi. La zona es impresionante por su belleza y el pueblo es encantando. Hay unos restaurantes buenos en el pueblo, también. Los museos etnográficos (de Boal, Taramundi, Grandas de Salime y Tineo, creo) son muy interesantes y Taramundi está más o menos cerca de el castro celta en Coaña. Hay parques también, pero no los he visitado. Lo recomiendo como una lugar estupendo para vacaciones.
is

Post by is »

Yeah, I agree that Taramunde is absolutely beautiful. But it seems like the Harris family wants to be near a beach and 25km may be a stretch. However, they can have it both ways: 1. beautiful, wild mountains 2. beaches in Tapia Casariego in 30-40 minutes.

Pepin, from Ca Xuacu (the first farmstead that I checked out in County Valdes) says www.infoasturias.com is the best place to look for rural accomodations. Because not all of the places available are listed on other web sites, this is the best place to go to see absolutely everything. I've even checked for the county of Allande and they have most of the places listed that I've personally checked out before.

Here's how it works. Click on the English flag icon on the upper right once you're on the web site Then click on 'Sleeping' (they mean overnight stays, NOT a place to hang out if you are narcoleptic). You then need to click on the area on the map of Asturias you are looking for. Taramunde and Valdes are both in Western Asturias, where there is less mass tourism, prices are lower and the nature is wilder. It's also the part of Asturias where traditional culture is best preserved.

After clicking on the areas of the map you will see small clips for 'country houses' (casonas asturianas), 'apartamentos rurales' (rural apartment rentals) and one other option. I think Don should look into the country houses because they are typically larger and might fit 12 people. These are also the more charming, remodeled farmsteads.

Whenever you see 'Council' in English, they mean 'County'. Asturias is divided into 'conceyos', like Galicia is divided into 'concellos'. These are the equivalents of English or Irish 'counties'. Good luck. Let me know if you have questions.

Return to “Travel - Viajar”