Stay in new york on holydays

If you can't figure out where else to post, say it here.<br>
Si no sabes dónde poner tu tema, pongalo aquí.

Moderator: Moderators

cuntapeiru

Stay in new york on holydays

Post by cuntapeiru »

Hello¡¡¡

I'm asturian and I've never been in USA. I think I have relatives in Florida. But I would like to travel to New York this year and I would like to know if there are some hotel or room service manage by asturian people.

Thanks

See you
is

craigslist

Post by is »

http://newyork.craigslist.org/

hi Cuntapeiru,

Most young people looking for dollar-friendly (=cheap) places to stay in New York City use Craigslist. You can find very good deals in downtown Manhattan on a daily and weekly basis, much cheaper than staying in hotels.

I've stayed twice at a place near Tompkins Square Park, in the East Village, for $50 per night. The room was clean, bathroom was shared, but also clean, and there was Internet access. Location was ideal for south of 14th Street.

Click on the link above, go to 'Housing' and then hit up 'Vacation rentals'. You have to do this at least 1 month in advance, or earlier, if you want to find a room. They usually expcect 80% payment through PayPal. Good luck!
Bob

Post by Bob »

Is's advice is good for really inexpensive lodging.

To give you and idea what an inexpensive hotel means in Manhattan, Evelyn and I stayed at the Pod Hotel for the Asturian conference at Pace University in March. The room was about $250 a night. Very nice, very modern, but also quite small - perfectly OK for a few nights. For a week's stay it could get a little claustrophobic. With taxes, etc., it was about $300 a night. Most hotels are considerably more expensive if you want a private bath, although the Pod has rooms with shared baths for less money.

Another option would to be to look for less expensive lodging in neighboring communities that are on the commuter train line.

The only Asturian-owned sleeping accomodations in the northeast that I know of is in Gloucester, Massachusetts, a nice bed and breakfast run by a woman whose screen name is Xana (she did not know what it meant before I told her). I think she speaks castellano, but not asturianu.

Gloucester, by the way, is the oldest fishing port in the EEUU, and is located on Cape Ann, about 38 miles north of Boston (with very good and inexpensive connecting train service). Let me know if you are interested and I will send you details. We have a home in Rockport, immediately adjacent to Gloucester. It would be fun to meet you and show you the area.

If you want to find relatives in Florida, two good places to make inquiries would be the centros asturianos de Tampa y Miami. The Tampa centro is worth a visit even if you don't have Florida relatives. It's a gorgeous building that needs a bit of restoration, but still speaks very clearly about the elegant facilities that asturianos created for themselves (and others from Spain as well) in the early 20th century.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Welcome, Cuntapeiru. (What does "Cuntapeiru" mean?)

Is' idea is probably the best. You can also search for a hostel in NYC. I've stayed in one. It was fairly cheap, but not terribly clean or modern. Be sure to read the reviews. That will steer you away from really awful places. Here's a good place to look for reviews:
http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-1 ... acations-i

-----------------------

Bienvenido, Cuntapeiru. (¿Qué significa "Cuntapeiru"?)

La idea de Is probablemente sea el mejor. También puede buscar para un "hostel" (albergue juvenil, pero no son solamente para jovenes). Me he quedado en uno en Nueva York. Era bastante barato pero no muy limpio o moderno. Asegúrate de la cualidad por leer las críticas. Así puedes evitar los sitios más asquerosos. Aquí es un sitio donde se encuentran unas críticas:
http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-1 ... acations-i
Xose

Post by Xose »

Herald Square Hotel. Cheap, centrally located, and clean, if old.

http://www.heraldsquarehotel.com/

I have stayed there several times. Always good so far.
cuntapeiru

thanks

Post by cuntapeiru »

Hello Everybody¡¡¡¡

I'm sorry for not to answer before and I'm very thankful for your advices. Finnaly, I will not be able to go USA this year. I hope to go the next.

"Cuntapeiru" is the nickname's local writer from my village, Cangas del Narcea. He wrote in asturian language at the beginings of XX century. It means " a story teller".

My name is Cristóbal Ruitiña. I'm journalist. Now I work in the asturian public TV.

I hope that we follow in contact

Good bye
is

Post by is »

hi Cuntapeiru! I think I've met you once in Uvieu at the language rights demonstration. Nice to hear back from you. Write again when you have plans to come to the US. Washington should be on your list of cities to visit. Ta l.lou, paisanu!
cuntapeiru

Post by cuntapeiru »

Yes we met in Uviéu in this demonstration. I wasn't sure if you was the same person. I read your reports in Les Noticies and I supose you read mine's. Are you in Washington now?... I hope we can see if i go to USA next year¡¡¡¡

Sí. Conocímonos n'Uviéu nesa manifestación. Nun taba seguru si yeras la mesma persona. Yo lleía los tos reportaxes en Les Noticies ya cuido que tu tamién los mious. Tas agora en Washington.... Espero que puedamos venos cuando you vaya hasta USA l'añu qu'entra.
is

Post by is »

Yes, I'm back in Washington. Seique tira muitu l'oucidente d'Asturias ya nun sei per cuantu tiempu tou p'aco. Pero tando eiqui, l.levamoste los asturianos de DC al 4 Provinces, que ia un chigre irlandes en Cleveland Park con musica en vivo. Saludinos ya vemonos ceu!

Return to “General Discussion - Discusión general”