Horreo Plans/Blueprints

People, history, places, resources, & more.<br>
El pueblo, historia, lugares, recursos, & más.

Moderators: mariamatoyos, Moderators

M3Vega

Horreo Plans/Blueprints

Post by M3Vega »

I am planning to build a traditional horreo on a farm in southern West Virginia.

Does anyone know where I can obtain detailed plans or descriptions.

Thanks.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Our friends in Asturias will undoubtedly have more information, but my impression is that there are no standard plans or blueprints for horreos. Each is unique.

I would suggest taking a good look at existing horreos that you like and go from there. The essence, as I understand it, is that there are four pegollus (stone columns, often tapered) supporting overhanging, flat stone squares (to prevent rodents from climbing up) with a storage building on top. The stairs are sometimes fold-away or removeable to present a large gap when not in use by humans, again to prevent rodent infestation of stored grains.

Whatever you decide on, please let us know when you horreo is complete. I think it would be the first in the EEUU, and well worth a trip to view it.
M3Vega

Horreo Plans

Post by M3Vega »

I have seen numerous horreos and paneras on family visits to Asturias. There is one at the small dairy farm where my grandfather was born and raised. Unfortunately, I wasn't planning to build one at the time so I did not try to get a detailed understanding of the construction techniques.

I have had to resort to studying pictures and drawings online. I think I understand how most of it is put together or, at least, could be put together. However, I would like to get a better understanding of how the walls and roof timbers are assembled and supported. I'm sure I'll figure something out but it would be nice to understand how existing structures were assembled.

Any assistance would be appreciated. We are moving up to WV later this summer. I hope to initiate this project this winter.

Thanks.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

I'll bet you could get help from El Museo del Pueblo de Asturias, in Gijón. They helped me find the best gaita-makers. They have several horreos on the property and would at least know who you could contact for more information.
http://museos.gijon.es/index.asp?MP=4&MS=153&MN=1

This would be a great news story in Asturias, too, so we should let our journalist friends know what you're doing once you begin the project.

-----------------

Apostaría que El Muéu del Pueblu d'Asturies en Xixón te ayudaría. Me ayudaron en encontrar los mejores constructores de gaitas. Tienen algunos horreos allí en el parque y sabrían al menos quien puedas contactar para más información.
http://museos.gijon.es/index.asp?MP=4&MS=153&MN=1

Éste sería una noticia buena para los periódicos en Asturias, también. Debemos dar noticias a nuestros amigos periodistas cuando empieces el proyecto.
Bob

Post by Bob »

My father, who turned 90 a few weeks ago, wants me to take him back to West Virginia, his place of birth and childhood home (In mostly Asturian Spelter). I will do so later this summer or early this fall.

He liked the horreos in Asturias when I traveled there with him and my brother a few years ago. Please let me know when you start construction and where we can go to see it. I'm sure he will be thrilled to see this part of our heritage transplanted to the EEUU.
M3Vega

Horreo Plans

Post by M3Vega »

Thanks for the replies and info. I will contact the museum in Gijon to see what information they can provide. I am also contacting a relative in Asturias to see if they can get me any additional information.

Once I get it started, I will provide updates and images. Anyone wanting to come by and see how we are doing will be welcome. Our farm is located in Talcott near Hinton WV.
Xose

Post by Xose »

Talcott will be known as "Little Asturies" pretty soon. We have land there too. :D
Bob

Post by Bob »

Where is Talcott in relation to Clarksburg, Spelter, etc?
Chris
Translator

Post by Chris »

http://www.horru.com lomejor hay algo de informacion aqui
Xose

Post by Xose »

Talcott is in Summers county, about 4 hours southeast of Clarksburg. It's the home of the John Henry legend!
iglesias

Post by iglesias »

Hello All,
In my web page there is an archive of Blue Prints named horreos in zipped rar file, and in my model in 3dwarehouse there is an unfinish horreo in sketchup file.
Take a look and if you have problems do not hesitate asking me for more help.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... revstart=0
Last edited by iglesias on Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
José Manuel
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Wow, those are great diagrams! That should really help. I didn't realize that the construction would be post and beam with mortice and tenon joints, but that makes perfect sense.

--------------------

¡Ah! esos diagramas son fantásticos! Le ayudarán. No me daba cuenta de que la construcción sería "poste y viga" con los empalmes de mortaja y espiga, pero tiene sentido.
iglesias

Post by iglesias »

Hello all,

In this link you can download the SketchUp viewer or a free program to see the models in 3D and manipulate them too.

http://sketchup.google.com/gsu6/download.html

Also in my web page I just upload a small video about the main estructure of the hórreo.

En este enlace pude bajar un visor o el programa SketchUp libre para ver los modelos 3D o también manipularlos.

En mi página acabo de subir un pequeño video de la estructura principal del hórreo.
Un saludo.
José Manuel
Les Segaes

Como construir un hórreo asturiano...

Post by Les Segaes »

Hola! Yo soy un miembro nuevo, registrado con el nómbre de usuario, Les Segaes.
En el diverso de temas que existen en los foros, es curioso el leer sobre el interés de uno de los miembros que pregunta por los planos para construir un hórreo. Cláro está, tal petición ha sido hecha hace algo mas de un año, y supongo de que a estas alturas M3Vega ya tiene el problema resuelto. No obstante, y si es que aún necesita ayuda, es posible que la siguiente página web pueda ayudarlo: http://llanes.es.tl/El-H%F3rreo-Asturiano.htm.
Por otra parte, Bueño, no solamente es el pueblo de mis abuelos, sinó que tambien, es el lugar adonde está actualmente ubicado el Museo del Hórreo Asturiano. Suerte!

Les Segaes

--------------------------

Hi! I'm a new member registered under the users name, Les Segaes.
Within the diversity of topics there is in every forum, one in particular draws my attention where one of the members is asking for blueprints in order to build an horreo. Of course, since M3Vega's request has been made over a year a go, quite likely, his problem is already solved by now. Nonetheless, if he still needs some assistance, he may want to check the following web page: http://llanes.es.tl/EL-H%F3rreo-Asturiano.htm.
On the other hand, Bueño, not only is my grandparents village but, also is the actual site where the Museo del Hórreo Asturiano is. Good luck!

Les Segaes.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Thanks, Les Segaes, those are very clear plans. I've moved your message to the correct thread.

-----------------

Gracias, Les Segaes, son planes muy útiles. He movido tu mensaje al tema correcto.

Return to “About Asturias - Sobre Asturies”